SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Help w/Baby Shower Cake/Decoration

lisazone6_ma
15 years ago

Hi all - I saw the cutest picture of little cakes/desserts for a baby shower. My niece is expecting and I'm already pegged to make scones for 40 (the shower will be an afternoon tea) and I probably don't need the extra work, but they're so cute, I want to try and make them as a surprise.

Anyway, they're little cakes decorated to look like those wooden children's blocks. I have a half sheetcake pan I can use to make a cake, then cut it into squares and decorate each square like a block and just spell out B-A-B-Y, that way I only have to make four!

I think the correct term I'm looking for is fondant, but I'm not sure - I need something to "ice" them with that I can pour over each cake that will encase the cake, then dry so I can handle them. I want a smooth look that I don't think I can manage using just frosting. But is fondant rolled or can I make a pourable one that will set up nice? I don't want to get too complex since I have to make the scones as well. I also saw little cakes "frosted" using those little candy disks you melt to make candy molds, but I think that would dry too hard to be able to cut into each "block" unless the coating was really thin - I'm making them smallish, but still big enough that each block can serve 4-6 people. It won't be the main cake or dessert, but just something cute as an addition. Maybe they'll be smaller than that, I'm not sure yet. If I had the time, I'd make them individual size, but I'll have to see how it goes and whatever size works best, that's what I'll do. The whole thing might end up being a disaster, but I'd like to give it a try!

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

Lisa

Comments (9)