SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb5_gw

Help me with my dogs....

barb5
14 years ago

Oceanna and any others, please help. I have 2 cats, a male and female, neutered and spayed. Most of the time they get along great. Then we decided to add a dog and after getting 2 rescue dogs that bit people and had to be returned, we got a male Shih Tzu. He initially snapped, and bit my son once, but we hung in, and now he is the sweetest little guy on the planet. He also is neutered.

The problem was that the shih tzu always wanted to play with the cats, who of course, did not want to play with him. And so we added another dog, a male pug puppy (the breeder didn't have any females left and we had read that 2 males could get along).

The problem is that the shih tzu does not like the pug. The pug is very playful and aggressively so- he will lurch into the shih tzu"s face, and try to climb all over him, and the shih tzu goes nuts- barking and biting at the pug.The pug also tries this with the cats who are feeling terrorized.

At this point the pug is spending most of his day outside on a line, and when he is inside, he is on a leash in the kitchen. He is not neutered yet, but is scheduled to be shortly. The pug is 7 mos. old and the shih tzu is 3 years old.

We are hoping the neutering will help, but if it doesn't, we are thinking we are going to need to find a new home for the pug. DH tears up everytime I talk about the pug leaving, and I have to say, I have grown to love the little guy, in spite of his antics (he is a real handfull!)

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there hope for a happy home here?

Comments (31)