SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susytwo

Whole wheat flours

susytwo
14 years ago

This weekend I added two new (to me) flours that I hadn't tried before and wanted to report on them, and see whether anyone else is using them.

I purchased some whole wheat pastry flour for a recipe and can not believe how wonderful it is. I think I could replace AP flour cup for cup, without any negative impact to recipe results. I've used it in pancakes and muffins so far, but the result was nice and light and not as heavy as regular ww flour.

Secondly, I tried a little bag of organic Red Fife whole wheat flour after reading an article about it's history. What a wonderful nutty flavor it has. I'm really looking forward to trying it out in a nice hearty WW bread.

Apparently, Red Fife is a heritage grain that almost became extinct as more farmers moved to modified varieties with shorter growing seasons. But it is the grain that is the ancestor of many of the wheat varieties now farmed in North America.

It seems to be growing in popularity in Canada, and I'm wondering if this is anything our southern neighbors have access to as well?

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Fife Overview

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert