SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
napalm_beach

25 year old Rheem. Repair or replace?

napalm_beach
11 years ago

My home is in the Seattle area where we get winter weather in the 30's - low 40's with occasional cold snaps. It's a 2600 sq ft 2-story built in 1990 with, according to the inspection, above average insulation including insulated heat ducting.

We have a 1980's vintage electric Rheem furnace in the garage.

The house has always been difficult and expensive to heat ($500/mo in winter) and lately the temperature of the air coming through the registers has gotten quite a bit cooler, even at the registers closest to the furnace. This weekend, with temps in the low 30's, it took nearly 3 hours to raise the temp of the house 2 degrees (58 to 60). (Sidebar: we've had the windows and insulation checked and our local power company said both were fine.)

I suspect the element is bad and could probably be replaced. But I wonder if it's time to replace the whole unit?

We can't afford a new heat pump system so we'd be replacing an electric furnace with an electric furnace. Are the new models any more efficient than the furnaces from the 80's? I don't trust someone selling furnaces to give me an honest answer to his question. :)

Thanks for your help!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH