SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pl_1121

Replace or Repair 8 year old Goodman heatpump?

pl_1121
15 years ago

Let me start with I know NOTHING about heaters and air condioners. I'm interested in some unbiased opinions.

I have a house in Maryland with 2 heat pumps (upstairs and downstairs). When I had them both recently serviced (and this is only the second time I've had them serviced, I've been very bad and not done annual maintenance on them), I was told that the outside unit for the downstairs heatpump is dead. I believe it, our electric bill was 4x last year's cost last month, but I thought it was just because it was cold and electricity is costing more.

The existing heat pumps are both Goodman and were installed in 2001 when the house was built. The outside units were placed on pavers which tilted on one of the units, making it unlevel. He felt that this is probably what caused the unit to die.

He offered up 2 suggestions:

1) Replace the outside unit for the Goodman system, cost would be about $1800. He said the inside portion of that system shows some rust, so he didn't feel it was the best thing to do, but a viable alternative.

2) He recommended a new, more efficient system...Rheem 13 SEER 2 ton the RHSL with R410A, total cost is $3960 with a one year labor warranty and a 5 year parts warrenty from Rheem.

3) I've read on here about the $1500 tax rebate possible if we go with a 15 SEER system. He hadn't heard of that, but said he can give me a quote for a 15 SEER system, he guessed offhand that it would probably be about $1500 more (which still seems to be a better buy if we get the money back as a tax credit and save on heating and a/c costs). I looked at the Rheem website and none of the RHSL series qualifies for the tax rebate, I'm going to have to ask him for which one he'd recommend from the listed systems.

What do you think is the best option? Is it wise to just replace part of an 8 year old system, or is that just sort of a bandaid solution? Is 8 years old old for a heat pump, how long do they usually last? Assuming we do go with a new system, is there anything I need to know about this tax credit?

Comments (11)