SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlbb_gw

First time baking from scratch...need help!

tlbb
16 years ago

Hi. I just discovered this forum and I love it! It has inspired me to try some new things. Thanks everyone!

For the first time in my life I tried to bake a cake from scratch. We're having company tonight and my 12 year old daughter went through a cookbook and wanted to try a carrot cake. No problem. We went out and got all of the ingredients and came home to bake. I would "supervise".

We followed the instructions exactly, put the two cake pans in the oven side by side and cleaned up. After 20 minutes my daughter checked on them and started yelling for me. The cakes puffed up like a souffle and were overflowing the pans all over the (brand new) stove. Ugh! The batter dripped below the bottom part part of the oven and we could actually see flames! We had to open all of the windows and doors to let all of the smoke out. The whole bottom part of the oven has burnt-on cake batter that does not want to come off, not to mention the area way on the bottom that I can't access at all. What a mess!

So, my question is...what the heck happened? The recipe called for 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda. I used Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Clabber Girl Double Acting Baking Powder.

I would appreciate any help as we're going to attempt this again today. Thanks.

tlbb

P.S. Any ideas how to clean my oven?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!