SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wyzup

First time growing peppers please help on germinating

wyzup
11 years ago

Hello there!, new member here first time poster and first time growing peppers. As of right now I just started germinating Habanero, Anaheim Chili, Long thin Cayenne, Eggplant, and Okra (although the last two aren't peppers) in a small jiffy cup, planting 3 seeds of each into each cup using the jiffy seed starter mix.

I first mixed the starter mix with some water to get to a moist consistency, then after putting the seeds in the cup I gave it some water until I saw a little overrun at the bottom.

Now I've heard that pepper seeds germinate best in 75-80 degree temperatures and with this being a low budget first time grow I didn't invest in one of those heat mats and makeshifted one of my own.

My current setup includes one of those little personal heaters set at the lowest setting and set under an aluminum baking tray which is about about a foot and a half above the heater. On top of the aluminum tray I have a plastic liner that I've set my jiffy cups on top of covered in saran plastic wrap to keep moisture in. I've left it sitting there for a while and when I touch the bottom of the aluminum tray it barely feels warm.

So my question is does this seem like a good way to germinate my seeds? if not I would love some suggestions.

Btw I live in Alaska and if the plants germinate within the end of the month I plan to transplant them outside

any suggestions on when I should plan to transplant them?

I would really really appreciate any feedback.

Comments (9)