SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
contadino_gw

First time growing from seed

Contadino
10 years ago

First year gardening for me, and I made the decision to experiment with indoor seed starting. I am trying basil, tomatoes and peppers. For zone 6, I got a late start. ShouldâÂÂve started around mid March, but didnâÂÂt start until mid April. The picture I attached shows 4 pepper plants in front (Jimmy Nardello sweet pepper), and then the tomatoes in the back.

I started everything in cow pots, with an organic soil-less potting mixture, inside of a black plastic tray, with clear plastic dome. Seeds were germinating either ontop of my fridge/freezer, or on a table situated near a heating vent. Basil and tomatoes germinated within a week, peppers took 2. Being my first time, I probably over seeded each pot, but once true leaves started developing, I transplanted the extras to peat pots (which after reading through these forums, may not have been a good idea).

Fast forward to now. Seedlings have been getting most of their light from a windowsill, but at night (or on cloudy days), I put them under a fluorescent bulb ... just a plain and simple desk lamp, with the seedlings propped up to about 4 inches or so from the light.

Onto my questions.

1. Tomatoes seem to be growing well, but when I transplanted, I think I made the mistake of not potting them up to the cotyledons, so theyâÂÂre a bit leggy. I was hoping to correct this when I transplant outdoors. Should that work?
2. My peppers are growing so slowly. Could it be that theyâÂÂre not getting enough light, because when I have the plants under the fluorescent bulb, the TOMATOES are within a couple inches, but since the peppers are smaller, theyâÂÂve been much further from the light?
3. IâÂÂm about a week or so away from our last frost date, so I started the hardening off process by giving the plants some outdoor exposure. I apparently made the mistake on the first day of leaving them too long. It was windy as well. One of the tomatoes and one of the peppers ended up keeled over. It appeared as if the stem was cut right near the soil line. Since then, I tried repotting those 2 plants by burying the stem, but not sure if that will work, because I notice that the cotyledons are turning yellow and droopy, and the plants seemed to stop growing. Are they basically goners?
4. When I transplanted the pepper plants, I DID bury the stems, since I already made that mistake with the tomatoes. But I get mixed opinions on this, bad move on my part?
5. Is it too early to harden off those little pepper plants? TheyâÂÂre barely an inch tall, and only the first set of true leaves have appeared, but theyâÂÂre so tiny. Originally I was hoping to plant them to the garden by next week, but again, since I started this whole process a month late, I guess I should be more patient.

Sorry for the lengthy first post, just wanted to get everything out there. So far this forum has been great, full of great information and discussions! ...

Comments (12)