SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Homemade Gifts?

oceanna
14 years ago

Money is tight for a lot of us and I thought we could share some good homemade gift ideas. I'll start...

I just sewed myself a squishy-soft fleece u-shaped neck pillow. After doing some independent research, I stuffed it with a mix of buckwheat, oatmeal (not cooked), flax seed, rice, two ground up cinnamon sticks and about 1/2 t. ground cloves. You could add the contents of a 2-3 bags of your favorite tea to add scent, if you prefer.

One minute and 20 seconds in MY micro makes it toasty warm and it holds its heat for at least a half hour. A couple of hours in the freezer turns it into a great non-drip cold pack. It's portable in the car and at the office, and safe for pets, babies, and the elderly -- but carefully check times in your own microwave to make sure of how hot it gets. I'd start with one minute (they can catch on fire if you leave them in the micro too long, and 2 minutes should be the maximum). A neck pillow can also warm a cold tummy or cold feet and they're wonderful to take to bed at night.

You can make a pattern from newspaper and sew whatever size/shape you like. The stuffing can never be washed, but you can make a washable cover if you like. I like to use fleece. Fill your pillow no more than 3/4 full and then it will contour to your body. You can shift the stuffing to where you want it.

I like the one I made so much better than the store bought ones I've had before, that I'm thinking I'll make some up as gifts. Try it yourself! It's a super simple sewing project and there's directions on several web sites. :o)

Your turn... what did you make or do you plan to make to give as gifts?

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Make A Microwave Heating Bag

Comments (20)