SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krylander_gw

Best flooring for dog who doesn't 'hold it'

krylander
15 years ago

Hello Everyone-

I am moving into a new house. The house is quite modern and upscale. I have high hopes (dreams) of keeping it in better condition than my current one.

One big issue we have had is the dogs sneak downstairs to go potty - both pooping and peeing. They ruined the carpet that was there a(nd it's now naked cement). I don't want to have that same problem in the new house. The walkout lower level is currently unfinished, and I am thinking about putting down porcelain tiles. I am concerned about the grout getting smelly. Would I have to seal a lot?

Does anyone have opinions on the best flooring for "accidents" such as these? We are not the best at home maintenance, and I'd really like a product that was easy to care for.

(And, yes, the dogs do get taken out frequently. They are both humane society dogs, one of whom is very nervous. The other dog is very dominant and easily threatened. Nervous dog goes potty (sometimes right after being out), dominant dog will sometimes pee over it (but is getting better).

Thanks for any help!!!!

Karen

Comments (33)