SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ci_lantro

Favorite New To You Ingredients

ci_lantro
14 years ago

I thought it would be fun to share our recent new ingredient 'discoveries', food items that have forever earned a favored spot in our cupboards.

Thinking back over the past year, I've made space for three new to me goodies.

Drum roll, please....

1. Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon--the OMG, I can't believe I've lived this long without knowing about this stuff!! It's been a struggle to use up the rest of the supermkt. cinnamon but have just about finished it off.

2. Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning--The first jar was a freebie from a salvage type grocery that I visit a few times a year. The original jar sat in the pantry for a couple of years before I got around to trying it. Damn, that was stupid! DS#1 and I are positively addicted. Rub it on a pork roast, refrigerate overnight & cook it slowly on the grill the next day. Very Good Stuff.

3. Rice Vinegar--Never ventured too much into different vinegars, not beyond red wine, tarragon, & raspberry. Rice vinegar--love the sweetness & spritely-ness--reaching for it more & more. I cook a lot of Asian so it has naturally found a front & center spot in the pantry.

I have this forum to thank for leading me to Penzey's & probably the recipes posted here using rice vinegar led me to that discovery. So, I thought it would be fun to share the new goodies we've found (so I can add them to my shopping list)! :)

Comments (44)

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Two new ones for me in the past week have been cardamom and beluga black lentils.

I used the "7 year rule" and tried lentils again after having not cared for them when I had them back in the 80's. (Okay, so the 20 year rule! LOL)

Linda

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

This is a somewhat odd one...but celery salt. I never used it much, it tasted odd to me and few recipes called for it. Several months ago, I ran across one that did (I can't even remember what it was) and didn't have any on hand. So, I threw some celery seed in my grinder with salt and now I'm using it more and more. First of all, the flavor is completely different from what one buys pre made. I find myself using it instead of salt in many things...marinades, dressings, dry rubs, sauces, roasted veggies.

If you enjoy the occasional bloody mary, try wetting the rim of the glass and coating it with celery salt the way you coat a margarita glass with regular salt.

• Related Discussions

Favorite (new -to -you) plant for 2013?

Q

Comments (8)
    Mysteryrose, I also planted 'Snow Fairy' this year and very much enjoyed it. Like Nhbabs, the jury will be out for me until I see how it does over the next couple of years, but thus far, it's a winner. I like how the flowers are quite different than other caryopteris. Also came upon Agastache 'Blue Boa' this year. The flowers were so huge and rich in color it almost looked like butterfly bush flowers. I'm hoping it really is a Z5 plant.
    ...See More

More New Ingredients

Q

Comments (15)
    dcarch, Please don't be offended. I enjoy your pictures. I wouldn't eat them - but I do enjoy looking. They are "artsy" to me rather than WFD. :) This one though made me laugh out loud imagining the reactions of my DH, 3 children, and 7 grandkids if I said, "Dinner's ready! Look at the yum screwpine sauce I made for you!" There is a reason that when the United Nations makes food air drops into refugee camps or disaster areas they drop packages designed for specific regions of the world. People do not like to eat what is unfamiliar. Studies have consistently shown people will first starve. So, just saying my family would quietly get up and one by one abandon me at the table if I served them screwpine sauce. rofl I am reminded of an outdoor BBQ 3 years ago when I served a cucumber, watermelon, and mint salad presented in a stemmed martini glass. My 4th youngest GS started to cry visibly shaken. I asked, "Sammy, what's wrong honey?" Said Sam, "Gram, somebody put WEEDS in my watermelon!" So, together we discussed who might have done such a dastardly thing while we picked all those minty WEEDS out of his watermelon. lol (grin) /tricia
    ...See More

This year's favorite "new to you" varieties. Please Share Yours!

Q

Comments (15)
    Every year is a new year for me.. right now I'm in the middle of a 6 year rotation of a lot of seeds to try out. Last year was orange tomatoes- Juanne Flamme was the hands down winner among a lot of orange tomatoes. This year is whites and container kinds. It's still a bit up in the air about the number one, but leading in the pick is Snow White cherry. Super hardy plant, prolific, and the first cherry in ages that has captured the whole family's attention for tomato goodness in a little package. All the rest of the tomatoes just sit and wait for me to preserve in various ways. But I can pick a quart a day of Snow Whites and they disappear within hours for fresh eating on. Good thing the two plants I have growing can keep up with the few quarts a week habit we have for snacking on this tasty tomato. Dwarf Wild Fred is in the running too- for all that I tend to grow only heirlooms, this is a newer container black (or rather a zebra stripe of deep red and green with a plum heart), that is worth seed saving for another years growth. Very tasty, grows well with a good habit. Totem is the red of choice for this years containers- compact, grows strong and well, and darn fine and tasty red tomatoes for small slicing, canning, dehydrating, or saucing up. If you only have a tiny space- go for this one. Silvery Fir Tree pretty much sucked in production- that might be because almost every fruit produced got snacked on by critters before I could get to it.. But it was the hands down winner for ultra beautiful foliage to the extent that I would grow this tomato in my flower garden for just it's lovely foliage. One billion percent a must for ornamental gardeners. I have around 16-18 kinds of tomatoes in the garden this year.... if I had to only choose one for seed saving, I would have to choose Snow White.
    ...See More

Have you discovered any new ingredients lately?

Q

Comments (29)
    Italian Saba. Just picked up a bottle being on sale. I've been using a burnt batch of maple syrup and almost out of it. (actually really good if i want a caramel-ish dolup) in a sauce or stew... "Saba -- also known as sapa, vin cotto or mosco cotto -- is an Italian syrup made from cooking down grape must. It looks just like balsamic, and tastes a whole lot like it too, but it's not nearly as expensive because it isn't aged. Chefs have begun incorporating saba into their menus over the past couple of years, and it's time home cooks did the same." I'll test it tonight.
    ...See More
  • ci_lantro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not at all odd, Rachelellen. I've just been rediscovering celery seed the last couple of months--which reminds me that I need to add it to my Penzey's list.

Linda, I'm not a fan of lentils, either. Nor is DH & certainly not the DS's. Sounds like I'll have to look for the black belugas & give them a try.

I'm seeing more & more recipes calling for cardamon--at least one that I think you posted. My cardamon is decades old so I need to add that one the P-List as well.

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

Well its been a favorite of mine over the last year ANNATTO SEEDS....they lend a wonderful flavor to chicken meats and rices. A tablespoon of seed infuses olive oil and then you create wonderful flavorful dishes. I buy it at a local spanish market but it is also avialable in the Penzy catalog.

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

My new ingredient has taken about a year and a half to completely win us over. It's PRUNES - or dried plums, as they're now marketed.

Looking through old cookbooks, there were always lots of recipes containing prunes and raisins because fresh fruit wasn't as available in winter as it is now. They were used in savory dishes like roast pork, desserts and even sandwich spreads. I always skipped them without a second glance.

Then I found a recipe in my deceased aunt's files for a cake I loved as a child and was surprised to see that it contained prunes. So I made it, DH and I both loved it, and so I started trying other recipes.

I hope I live long enough to see prunes become a new "in" ingredient and lose their Ewww factor for people who haven't even tasted them, like I did.

• Georgysmom
    14 years ago

Ruthana, would you share your aunt's cake recipe? I love prunes!

Dottie

• scotland1
    14 years ago

Would you believe turnips? Both my family and my husband's only ate the greens and threw the turnips away. We got some in our CSA box last year, and I threw them in the pot with a pork roast. Now our families think we're nuts because we fight over the turnips.

• lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

Believe it or not, but bottled hoison sauce! For someone who cooks so many Asian dishes, I had been turned off by all the various bottled sauces I've tried over the years. Some are good and those I've kept in my repetoir, but most were horrid. The last year or so I've really gotten into Thai/Vietnamese/Malasian food and I've noticed a bottle of srirracha as well as a bottle of unmarked "brown" sauce always on the tables when I go to restaurants. I never gave the brown stuff a second thought, but would see people squeezing it on along with the srirracha so I asked the waitress what it was and she said hoison sauce!! I couldn't get over it. I went and searched my cabinets and lo and behold, I had a bottle that's been in there who knows how long and it was fabulous! So now, I'm a big fan lol!!

Lisa

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

FIGS.
    Figs (Stuffed Pork Loin with Figs)
    Fig balsamic (Arugula Salad with Figs, Prosciutto, Walnuts)
    Fig finishing sauce (Pork loin)
    Fig jam (Jessy thanks for sending your jam)

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

Dottie, here it is. I never bother with frosting it.

SPANISH FRUIT & NUT CAKE

1/4 cup soft butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup flour
    3/8 tsp. each of salt, ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
    3/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. each of baking powder and baking soda
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup diced moist-pak prunes
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    1/4 cup golden raisins

Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and beat until light and fluffy. Sift together flour, spices, baking soda and powder in another bowl. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating well after each addition. Stir in prunes, raisins and nuts.

Turn into greased 8 inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on for 5 minutes; then turn onto rack to cool completely.

Cut in half (two 8 X 4 pieces, not splitting the whole cake into two thinner layers)and spread with vanilla, orange or lemon cream cheese frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake or cool in pan and serve unfrosted.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

ruthanna, that looks like one of Grandma's old favorite recipe, but she called it "spanish bar" cake. I loved it, I'll have to give yours a try.

Cardamom was last year's "new" ingredient for me, plus pine nuts because Peppi gave me some, I never saw them around here at all.

This year it's rennet to make my own cheese, and some hot sauce that Readinglady sent Elery called Sirachee. It's like Sriracha but has habaneros so it has more of a bite. Elery loves it and I'm trying to like it....

Annie

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Eileen, Can you tell me more about the annato seeds? I bough some from Penzey's a while back for a recipe and have them in my pantry languishing. I did make the recipe and should make it again, but I still need more uses for it.

A tablespoon of seed infuses olive oil
    Do you grind the seeds or just add them to the oil? How much oil per tablespoon of seed? Then you just cook with it as you normally would or do you only use it for specific recipes?

thanks!!
    May

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Yeah I'm curious about the annato also. What's the taste like?

Here's what Penzey's says:

Annatto Seeds
    A must for South American, Caribbean, Mexican, and Spanish cooking. From Peru. To make achiote (annatto oil): Mix 1 /2 Cup annatto seed and 1 Cup vegetable oil. Over very low heat simmer 10 minutes, strain out seeds, refrigerate. Use to impart red color and pungent flavor to rice or polenta, for frying chicken or fish, and braising pork or beef for enchiladas.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Cardamom. I finally tried Sol's Dirtbombs. I completely screwed up making them, but found out how much I love cardamom along the way. I am satisfied just opening the container. The hard-to-place earthy smell is mesmerizing! Ah, I'm in heaven.

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

You must be careful with those anatto seeds when making the oil. If the heat is overly high or the seeds are left in too long it will all turn green and black and you will have to throw it all away.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make Achiote Oil

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Ruthanna, that recipe reminds me of one I found a couple of years ago. I was trying to duplicate a Spanish Bar Cake that was sold at A+P Stores when I was growing up.
    Can't wait to give your recipe a try.

Nancy

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

Nancy, I remember those A & P cakes and I was hoping this one would duplicate it but it doesn't. It's a lighter color and texture than the A & P cake and doesn't seem as sweet.

Did you ever finish your quest for a recipe that tastes like the Spanish Bar Cake we recall? If so, would you please share it?

• malna
    14 years ago

Ruthanna,
    This is one that I saved a couple of years ago (before I knew enough to include where the recipe came from :-(

And, yeah, I loved those cakes from the A&P (and I'm still bummed they took the coffee grinders out at the cash registers).

Spanish Bar Cake

2 c. flour
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    1 1/2 t. baking soda
    1 TB cocoa
    1 t. cinnamon
    1 t. salt
    1 t. nutmeg
    1 t. allspice

Add:
    1/2 cup oil
    2 cups applesauce
    2 eggs
    1/1/2 cups raisins

Mix the first 8 ingredients together in an electric mixer; mix well. Add next 3 ingredients. Raisins should be added last. Bake at 350 degrees in a 9x13-inch pan for 30-35 minutes (tube pan 40-45 minutes).

Top with glaze:

1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 t. vanilla
    1 t. lemon extract
    1-2 TB hot milk

Mix all together and put on cake while still warm.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Celery seed -- used to use it years ago, but, for some reason, stopped. Find it adds a flavor in my soups that I've been missing.

The Spice House Ras El Hanout spice blend. Addictive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ras el Hanout

• susytwo
    14 years ago

Since I've been trying to lose weight, I've made some changes that have not just turned out healthier, but better tasting as well...

Quinoa: We have started eating quinoa in *everything*. It's practically replaced rice on our dinner plate. I mix into my morning oatmeal, I've made muffins with it, and am constantly looking for new ways to incorporate it into our daily diet. It goes in our fajitas, beside our fish, and under our stir fries. Really good, and so healthy.

Rice Paper: Well, I've eaten this many times before in restaurants but never attempted to use it at home. Then one day, I bought it on an impulse, and now it's a staple in the pantry. I can quickly make the most delicious, healthy, and light lunches and dinners now by wrapping some thin noodles, veggies and shrimp or tofu. I *love* these!

Almond milk: My morning smoothie is now half the calories AND better tasting since I switched to almond milk. This also goes in my morning oatmeal, pancakes, and all my quick breads. Delicious.

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Brown basmati rice. I just don't like regular brown rice but the basmati has the same texture as regular rice and that wonderful basmati flavor.

I'm interested in the annatto also. I've made the oil once for a rice dish but that's all I've done so far.

• malna
    14 years ago

The latest new favorite here is katsuobushi (dried, smoked bonito flakes). DH saw an article somewhere about how healthy dashi (broth made with katsuobushi) is, so we had to try it.

It is WONDERFUL.

We added some shrimp, dried mushrooms (well, they didn't start out dried, but they came out of the fridge that way :-) and rice noodles. Perhaps his "egg drop" addition negated the healthy part of this, but it sure was good.

• Lars
    14 years ago

An easier way to use annatto is to buy Achiote Paste - that's what I always use, and it is easy to find, generally with the Mexican foods or at a Mexican market. It is an essential ingredient to making Yucatecan style dishes, notable Cochinita Pibil.

The only thing new I can think of is lobster - I cooked my first lobster tails about a month ago. I didn't know they would be that good, but they came out much better than what I've had in restaurants so far. We barbequed them over Mesquite charcoal, following instructions I received here for getting them ready.

I seldom come across ingredients I haven't already used, due to my advanced age.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Achiote paste

• sissyz
    14 years ago

I feel the need to contribute 'cause it will also be a confession!
    My ingredient? Yeast. I know, I know. It's not a new thing. Most of the cooks I know use yeast on a regular basis. But not me. I couldn't figure it out. I could never get anything to rise! I always assumed making dough took much too long for a working mom to mess with. But, I discovered the fresh loaf website and HEY!! even I can bake bread!
    Now I'm a bakin fool!!! I made my own pizza crust and my own pita! I even made my own chalupas.
    I feel better, telling the truth! I bought more yeast last week and I can't wait to use it...
    I have such a taste for ciabatta bread!

• trixietx
    14 years ago

Vanilla bean paste! Didn't know it existed, but a friend gave me a jar and I couldn't wait to use it. On Sunday I made banana pudding and used the paste in the pudding instead of extract and it was delicious. I can't wait to try it in ice cream.

• Marigene
    14 years ago

I have tried, several times, to like brown rice but never could until I tried it baked...it is so much better tasting than cooking it on top of the stove. Even Howard, who loves brown rice, said it tastes better baked.

• gellchom
    14 years ago

Well, you already know about my adventures in fish sauce and ho fun noodles!

I had never bought galanga, lemon grass, fried shallots, or dried fish tidbits before, either. As soon as we got back from that recent trip to SE Asia, I went straight to the Asian markets and got them. I am really having fun cooking with all these new (to me) things.

Before that trip, though, I fell in love with berbere, an Ethiopian spice blend. The lady who has the little lunch place in my office building made it for me and gave it to me in a little refrigerator box, so I can't recommend a brand. HOT STUFF! At least the batch she gave me. I used it to cook Ethiopian, but then I started sprinkling it in everything -- chili, egg salad, omelets, soup. I really love it. Maybe I'll substitute it for sriracha one of these days for an intercontinental feel!

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

I began using Agave Nectar as a substitute for sugar because of it's low glycemic index AND that it tastes just like liquid sugar AND doesn't have a weird aftertaste.

Also: Quinoa, Spelt flour, Flax seed and flour, Greek Yoghurt, Penzey's Cinnamon mixture, and Cardamom.

• lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

Susytwo - I've recently started eating quinoa myself - how do you incorporate in your other dishes? Just put it in as is? Grind it? I'm new to it so I've only had it as a grain side dish, but I loved it!

And speaking of cardamom - for Rob333 - we had a desert in an Indian restaurant that was like a thin rice pudding. I had never had it before, but the people I was with said it wasn't that great, that it needed way more cardamom as that is supposed to be the main flavor. But I don't think I've ever had cardamom to know what it's supposed to taste/smell like! What do you usually use it for?

And differing tastes are funny - I love brown rice. I prefer it to plain white any day, but as usual, hubby doesn't care for anything that isn't white, processed and unhealthy it seems! He hates exactly what I love about brown rice - that nutty flavor and chewy texture!

Lisa

• User
    14 years ago

New to me last week -- Dorot frozen herbs. Apparently TJ's has carried these for awhile, but I've missed them, I guess. A nice alternative when I don't have fresh herbs available, so I'm tickled to have these cuties in my freezer. And, they were under $2.

New to me today -- baking brown rice. Thanks, marigene -- I'm definitely trying that.

Tamara

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorot Frozen Herb Cubes

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Lisa,

Undoubtedly, more experienced cooks will add to this, but here's what I know: Cardamom is a versatile herb, or at least that's what I hear. Sol's dirtbombs are a tasty sweet treat, a cross between a doughnut and a muffin. A duffin, if you will. It's used alongside cinnamon and sugar. But it's also used in savory dishes, most notably Indian and Arabic dishes. I've seen it combined with coconut in curry dishes that I've yet to try. And tonight's experiment is Cardamom Honey Chicken. One smell, and I am transported back to the California coastal forest regions (Big Sur and Yosemite, specifically). Inexplicable, but that's what it smells like. It's taste is unique and would be akin to trying to describe how a potato tastes to someone who has never tried one

;) Hope this helps.

-Robin

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

I have been baking rice in my Dutch oven this past year.
    First I saute whatever dry rice in whatever fat matches the recipe; when it's golden then I add the appropriate measure of liquid and put it in the oven.

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

Nothing much new in the past year or so. Rice vinegar just appeared at Walmart so I now have some. Red curry paste... I've been using green for a couple years.

Penzay's "malabar" peppercorns are probably my favorite new thing. They have a sharper bite to my taste then the Tellicherry. Most often I blend the two. Brings me to my favorite new kitchen tool a Mortar and Pestle set I bought on Amazon. Every couple days I crush up some pepper for my shaker. Sort of brings out my inner witch to work the pestle.

: )
    lyra

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Cathy,
    Interesting! Does it come out differently than stove top? What temp & how long?

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

May, Here is a recipe for Mexican Rice cooked in the oven. It's pretty good but I imagine that you have great Mexican rice in your area. I use the same method to make Yellow Rice and Chorizos.

Mexican Rice
    55 min : 20 min prep
    SERVES 8 -10
    Â 12 ounces tomatoes, very ripe and cored (canned with chiles is good)
    Â 1 medium white onion
    Â 3 medium jalapenos
    Â 2 cups long grain white rice
    Â 1/3 cup canola oil
    Â 4 minced garlic cloves
    Â 2 cups chicken broth
    Â 1 tablespoon tomato paste (may omit if using canned tomatoes)
    Â 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    Â 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
    Â 1 lime
    1. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350.
    2. Process tomato and onion in processor or blender until pureed and thoroughly smooth. Transfer mixture to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups. Discard excess.
    3. Remove ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos and discard. Mince flesh and set aside. Mince remaining jalapeno. Set aside.
    4. Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes. Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water. This step removes the starch from the rice so it will not stick. DonÂt OMIT THIS STEP!!!
    5. Heat oil in heavy bottomed oven safe 12 inch straight sided sauté pan or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid over medium high heat about 2 minutes. (The recipe is very specific about this but I used a 10 inch Dutch oven and it worked out fine.) Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
    6. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and 2 minced jalapenos and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.
    7. Stir in broth, pureed mixture, tomato paste, and salt. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.
    8. Cover pan and transfer pan to oven to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes. Stir well after 15 minutes.
    9. Stir in cilantro, minced jalapeno to taste, and pass lime wedges separately.

1. Edited to add 6-15-05: If you can't get good fresh tomatoes you are better off using canned tomatoes. Don't use those and underipe tomatoes that are at most supermarket chains. Just be sure that the processed tomatoes and the one onion equals 2 cups. One the other hand- if you find that after processing your tomatoes and onions that you have less than 2 cups- simply add enough bottled salsa to make up the difference.
  • pat_t
    14 years ago

Marigene - would you please post your method/recipe for baked brown rice?

Sriracha is all the new rage in our house. It has virtually replaced Tabasco. Oh, the humanity.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I used a bag of Morningstar Farm meal crumbles in a lasagna earlier this year and we all thought it wasn't really different from hamburger. But it has little fat and no cholesterol.
    It looked and tasted (in a sauce) just like regular lasagna with meat. I'll use it again for the family.

It comes in a frozen bag and looks like browned ground beef.
    I would think it would be perfect for vegetarian meals and the rest of the family would like it too.
    It's also easy to use.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting that Cathy. I'm definitely going to give that a shot!

• susytwo
    14 years ago

Lisa, I usually make a big batch of quinoa for the week, just cooked in salted water. Then, through the week, we make different things with it. We use it often in place of other starches that we normally would eat, mostly stews and stirfries. But this is the next recipe I want to try:
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05/baked-quinoa-with-spinach-and-cheese.html

I got a really nice recipe for Quinoa tabouli from the Moosewood cookbook that I've made a few times and is very good.

I haven't ground it myself, or tried quinoa flour yet. I do have some quinoa flakes that I now mix in with my oatmeal. I also found a cookie recipe for quinoa flakes that I'm going to try.

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

Malna, I made the recipe for Spanish Bar Cake today. It was nice and moist and had just the right amount of spice. We had some with our tea tonight. Thanks for posting it.

• dancinglemons
    14 years ago

My new favs are:

Korean Red Pepper Paste !!! (Gojujang/Kojujang)
    Celery Salt (used in 20+ years ago but just rediscovered it)
    Sazon
    Ground Coriander
    Penzy's Breakfast Sausage seasoning

There are more each month when I get my Saveur issue and the Fine Cooking mag.

DL

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Fresh Chineese egg noodles inspired by Mark Bittman.

Bumblebeez,
    I was raised a vegetarian. The meat substitutes are wonderful! You should try Quorn. I think it is much better than MSF crumbles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quorn Grounds

• ci_lantro
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to list another new favorite--Argo Baking Powder. Found it on a trip to Woodman's. It's a double acting, aluminum-free baking powder made by the more familiar Argo Corn Starch company. The reason I love it is because I started detecting an off taste--kinda' metallic--in my baked goods. Did a little 'net sleuthing & figured out that baking powder was a likely culprit. Turned out to be the case because after I switched to Argo, the icky taste went away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Argo Starch

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

Ci lantro, I agree with you on the Argo baking powder. No matter how much baking powder is in the recipe, you never taste it in the final product.