SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Korean Fried Chicken

dancinglemons
14 years ago

Hello all,

I am not Korean and have never been to a restaurant in California (or anywhere else) that sells Korean Fried Chicken. My latest issue of Saveur magazine has a photo and a recipe for this heavenly treat and I thought I would try it. I searched the web and discovered many different recipes for this chicken dish. I fould a local Korean Grocery that sells the most important ingredient - Red Pepper Paste Gojujang/Kojujang. Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire!!!!! I am addicted.

First this recipe takes a bit of time and some of the techniques and ingredients MUST be used. Korean Red Pepper Paste is not anything like hot sauce so please try to find this ingredient. Also -- Don't use Curry Paste. (IMHO)

Korean Fried Chicken

Part 1

Mix:

1/3 cup RICE flour (DO NOT LEAVE THIS OUT)

1/3 cup all purpose white flour (NOT white wheat OR whole wheat)

1/3 cup CORN STARCH (DO NOT LEAVE THIS OUT)

1 cup very cold water

Whisk all together in bowl and put in fridge for minimum 30 minutes while preparing remainder of recipe -- It really needs to get cold.

2 pounds chicken wings - fresh is best

** cut the wings in 3 parts -- the drumettes and the flaps will be used. Remove any large fat globs and any large flaps of skin. The wing tips should be put in a freezer bag and saved to make stock for another use. Please do not fry the whole wing.

Set cut wing parts out on paper towels while preparing sauce. It is good for wing parts to get a bit dry so don't put them in a bowl together.

Part 2

Canola Oil for frying 350 degrees - I used 1 and 1/2 quart

(DO NOT use olive oil as it will add a flavor not suited to this recipe)

In a small blender or small food processor:

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

1 1/2 inch piece peeled FRESH ginger root

3 TBSP soy sauce (I used low sodium)

3 TBSP Korean Red Pepper Paste (Gojujang) do not substitute anything for this

1 1/2 TBSP rice vinegar (the sweet kind used for sushi rice)

1 TBSP Asian sesame oil

1/4 -- 1/2 cup Strawberry JAM (not jelly)

(You can use Grape JAM (not jelly))

1/2 can cola soda

Put all these ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into small sauce pan and simmer 5 minutes remove from heat and set aside for later use.

Part 3

Remove flour mixture from fridge and whisk to mix well.

Put chicken into flour mixture and be sure all peices are well coated.

Lift and let drain each wing part before placing in 350 degree canola oil. Fry in 2-3 batches so oil does not get crowded and cool down. Fry each batch for 8 minutes and then remove to wire rack or paper towels IN SINGLE LAYER. After frying all wing parts let them cool down about 10 minutes -- still in SINGLE layer. After 10 minutes ------ IT IS TIME FOR SECOND FRY. This is very important step. ****

Chicken must be fried again for 8 minutes!!****

After second fry remove chicken to bowl and toss chicken the in sauce until coated. Serve immediately.

This chicken has an earth shattering crunch when you bite it! Don't let it soak in the sauce just toss in sauce and serve for the CRUNCH !!

Enjoy! This is my take on Korean Fried Chicken which is a mixture of MANY recipes I found on the web.

DL

Comments (23)