SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Fried Chicken Issues Questions

plllog
2 years ago

A number of years ago, I got great frying advice from the forum. I started with fritters, which are easier, but have done breaded (dip in flour, dip in egg, dip in crumbs) and battered (flour, egg, oil, salt, baking powder, beer) of various things, proteins and vegetables, all in a frying pan, but some quasi-deep and some shallow. Enough so that it's no longer intimidating (I used to do it so rarely, I had to learn anew each time.) What I haven't done is bone-in/skin-on classic fried chicken. I've cut strips, nuggets and tenders, yes, but not fried whole. Part of that is not finding good frying sized chickens. So, my question is really about someone else's cooking, because I want to learn.

This guy's coating is really good (as is the chicken itself). It's usually crunchy, but when it's just a tad under, I wonder if it was a batter, or just what happens when the oil isn't quite hot enough. Obviously flour based, but I'm not sure if it's a floury batter or a flour dredge. But it comes off. I'm used to the coating bonding with the skin and adhering. You can easily push the coating off (that which hasn't already fallen off) and see naked flabby chicken skin. The chicken is cooked through and the coating is brown, but I wonder if the oil isn't hot enough? Do you know why this would happen? Other times, he's slightly overcooked the chicken and the skin, coating adhered, fell off.

This isn't the kind of friend you can give critical information to, but I want to know! What can you tell me about why and wherefore?

Comments (9)