SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
provenance_gw

Help needed in choosing hardwood floor stain color (PICS)

provenance
14 years ago

We are finishing our house and the floors will be sanded, stained, and sealed next week. The floors are red oak. We are undecided on the stain, and would greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

Initially I had thought to keep them light, and maybe just do a clear coat on top. However, I've been having second thoughts. Maybe it would look better to do a darker maybe reddish brown color? We refinished the floors in our old house and they were a golden oak color, I would like not to have the orangey quality in our floors here.

As you can see in the pics, we have a lot of golds and earth tones throughout the house and I'm not sure what would look best with these. The trim is white throughout the house, we also have two double interior tapered columns off the entry area. We like the simplicity of mission style and our furniture is a mix of this and contemporary. We're still in need of nice downstairs furniture, but I'm thinking of going with darker mission/contemporary. Either espresso or dark reddish brown color.

Do you think we should keep the floors light or have them somewhat darker? We would also use the same stain on the stairway oak, the fireplace mantel/surround, and the front door (exterior side, the interior will be painted white).

If you have any thoughts on window treatments, these would also be very much appreciated. I'm not sure quite where to begin with all of this...this is the point where I'm really regretting not having a designer to advise us.

Thank you so much!

Amy

Comments (3)