SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arleneb

Sourdough people: A huge thank you!!

arleneb
15 years ago

You people ROCK!!

About 40 years ago a friend gave me a sourdough starter that her daughter's boyfriend's mom had given her -- it supposedly "was very old" and had come from "out west." It was fed with sugar, flour, and milk. I used it and shared it and enjoyed it for about 15 years, through two moves. Eventually, during a house remodel, I let it die (sob!). I've always missed it, and have never found a culture that was fed with those three ingredients. Thanks to you sourdough fans and the internet, I think I've found it . . . I'm guessing that Carl's is it. I've just sent for a start and am thrilled at the thought of being able to use it again!!

One year -- maybe 1980 -- we set up a sourdough table at our church bazaar. I gave cultures to several friends, who increased it several times . . . I think we had about 75 little marge tubs to sell. We made up a recipe booklet and I demonstrated the use of the culture and how to make bread, especially kneading techniques. The plan was to bake it there to draw people in by the aroma -- but we kept blowing fuses, so we ended up selling the kneaded dough -- which was a huge hit.

Anyway, I'm really excited to have found Carl's starter and wanted to thank all of you sourdough experts!! I hope to rejoin your ranks!

Arlene

Comments (2)