SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Ann T - A question about serving your scones

shambo
11 years ago

As I mentioned in another post, I'm hosting a combo tea party/baby shower/ family get together this coming Saturday. All the female relatives are converging to celebrate the birth of my daughter's first child.

One of the things I wanted to serve was scones, using your recipe. I'm planning to follow your suggestion for making mini scones: make two circles out of the dough & cut each circle in 8 pieces.

Here's my concern: The scones are so rich with cream & butter (not a bad thing at all) that I normally don't butter them when I make them for us. And I don't use jam either. I had planned on serving the scones with a Devon cream substitute recipe from Joy of Baking (It uses mascarpone & some cream with a bit of sugar).

There will be 12-15 people attending, and we won't be seated at tables. We'll be in my living room and have access to some end tables & a few TV trays just for holding tea cups. That's why I opted for finger foods.

I'm concerned about the scones, though. Do they really need butter & jam. Or would a plop of the fake Devon cream on top be enough? Please be honest with me. If butter & jam are needed, I'd rather eliminate the scones altogether (and bake them later for just the two of us). I'm not sure that buttering & jamming at the buffet table is a good alternative. It could hold up the line and create confusion with the butter knives, jam spoons, etc.

Your opinion is most welcome. Thanks!

Comments (4)