SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaun_gw

Is anyone dieting right now?

shaun
14 years ago

I just joined Weight Watchers Thursday.

Wondering if anyone else is dieting? I can hardly look at the WFD Thread - makes me so hungry!

Comments (91)

• robin_DC
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, another Weight Watchers person here. I do the online only version. I've lost about 10 pounds and have 5 more to go (which have bee the hardest to lose; haven't lost anything since January!). I am on the Simply Filling Technique --- what used to be CORE -- and find it much more compatible with my love of food & cooking than my past weight watchers efforts (always counted points before--CORE scared me back then!). I've gained/lost the same 10-20 pounds off and on for the last several years. I think that this simply filling technique is finally something that I can maintain for a lifetime.

I'd love to see a thread on light recipes, etc.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

I think we all know how well and how pleasant all diets work in the long run.

I have noticed that when I was in the Far East, and In France, where two of the cultures who really enjoys eating, I did not see any over-weight people there.

Perhaps the key is in what we eat and how we eat?

dcarch

• Related Discussions

Anyone elses forsythia blooming right now, lol?

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes, I noticed mine currently is blooming as well. It's turned much milder and quite humid so maybe they think it's spring (pushing 70 F currently). I have seen them do this in previous years as well. I also noticed some blooms on the the succulent ice plants. The other shrub that is blooming is the Nandina (so-called heavenly bamboo--which is NOT any kind of bamboo), but it's normal for them I believe. Plants that normally bloom out of the main season are terrific and should be planted more. I used to have a Autumn cherry at a prior home and this thing would be covered in beautiful flowers in November and December.--I miss it!
    ...See More

Anyone else having issues with their roses right now?

Q

Comments (17)
    Around the first of August several of us here suddenly got terrible outbreaks of blackspot. We had all been spraying regularly, but it just looked like we had been spraying with blackspot spores. We had quite a bit of leaf drop, and it was very difficult to control, even when hitting them with Manzate three times as prescribed. When the weather finally cooled off, it seemed to slow down quite a bit. Now it looks like mine have Cercospora. Big black round spots, but the leaves aren't turning yellow and dropping. I guess it's true - "If it isn't one thing, it's another".
    ...See More

Anyone wanna trade cuttings right now? Frosty pink for...

Q

Comments (6)
    Hey this is for Patty! Patty I'd love to work a trade with you. I was sort of thinking unrooted cuttings cause the rooted cuttings I have are these monster 5 footers at this point. I might have one foot tall cuttiong that is rooted but it is not very robust yet. However, I have a ton of material and I could send you a few feet of cuttings if you wish in exchange for cuttings or we could try to the rooted thing - I can send pix and we can see if it looks like a good trade to ya. You can email me at elliesgarden at gmail-dot-com and I'd be happy to talk to you about it. Thanks so much for your interest! Sincerely, Ellie PS Love Country Gardens... Here is a link that might be useful: you can get hold of my through my website too!
    ...See More

Advice for eating post HCG diet, anyone with failure stories?

Q

Comments (2)
    For 3 weeks you should ideally follow the "maintenance phase" in order to allow your body to stabiliaze at your new weight. After your 3 days of eating 500 calories once discontinuing the HCG, you can start to eat other foods, but avoid sugars and starches whenever possible. They say it is imperative to weigh yourself every day, without fail, and if you gain more than 2 pounds, have a "steak day". This means, you go all day without eating anything, but drinking as much of the allowable liquids as you want. Then, for dinner you have a huge steak with either a raw tomato or an apple. This must be done on the day your weight goes above 2 pounds from your final weight on the HCG. I have not gotten to this phase yet but this was the information I was given with my HCG order (I am using the sublingual homeopathic HCG drops). Good luck!
    ...See More
  • compumom
    14 years ago

Certainly! We're all foodies or we wouldn't be here. No one hasn't heard the news that our junk food addiction and our portion sizes are making us fat. I think Shaun started this thread for support and ideas on how to be successful.

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks compumom, we are hoping for support only please!! Be nice, be kind, bla bla bla and all that jazz.

• JoanM
    14 years ago

Thank you Shaun. I got on the treadmill. Whew...

I have hated exercise for years. I will never love it. The only thing I enjoy is yoga. I will try again tomorrow, first the treadmill and then yoga. Or maybe just yoga :-> Who am I kidding? I have to slowly work my way back up to exercise 5 days a week. It is the only thing that allows me to eat.

I will break out the WW cookbooks this week for sure.

I am not a slug! I am not a slug! I am not a slug!

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

It really does help to eat as the Spanish and some other Europeans do, with the midday meal being the main dinner of the day and the evening meal a light supper.
    That way one goes to bed on an empty or nearly empty stomach. Of course those hours have meant that shops and offices close from 1 to 4 pm so the owners and staff can catch a bus or drive home, have a long meal and siesta and then go back to work for 4 or even 5 pm. Customary in warm climates although that is gradually changing due to the arrival of large shopping malls and chain supermarkets. Here, however there are still many shops that close for lunch for 3 or 4 hours.

And it's true that if you don't eat anything after 6 or 7 pm (not forever but temporarily, to lose weight) the weight goes off very quickly. Of course there are times when it's not possible to avoid late dinners when going out some evenings with friends.

Protein fills you up and stops you from feeling hungry, so the basis of the diet I'm doing is to eat protein instead of carbs. As the body requires carbohydrates to burn as its source of energy, when few carbs are present it will burn instead the accumulated fat you have stored. That definitely works! The diet I'm on includes herbal infusions before meals three times per day to eliminate toxins from all the protein, and drinking 1 1/2 to 2 liters of water per day to cleanse.

A baked chicken breast or small lean steak with or without sliced cucumber or asparagus and lettuce has often been a meal for me. The diet I'm on also requires two snacks a day, one mid morning, the other mid-afternoon. I usually have a glass of skim milk or a no fat/sugar plain yoghurt, or a slice of fresh goat cheese. Another protein snack is a small tin of tuna in olive oil (drained off) sometimes over chopped lettuce.

One of the recommended evening 'suppers' the past two weeks has been a tin of unsweetened pineapple in its juice. All by itself, twice a week.

No wine or alcohol allowed of course.

I have several recipe books with low glycemic recipes, including those of Michel Montignac (recommended also by my dietitian) and Rick Gallop. Over the next weeks or months I will be turning again to these books for ideas of low glycemic dishes for the maintenance period and will be happy if we keep up a support thread here or perhaps over in the Gallery, (where threads stay for years before they disappear) and would gladly share recipes as I try them. And if Linda or anyone is interested, I can repost any of those from the slimmer dinner series. I agree that it can be a great help to have company when doing this. Good luck all!

SharonCb

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes I was wondering where we should put all this info. I would love to see the slimmer dinners.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

I am sorry if my post seem to be offensive to some. Based on the original post, my intention was trying to be helpful because I have seen what has not worked and, most importantly, what has really worked.

Good luck to all.

dcarch

• cookie8
    14 years ago

I don't have issues with my weight but when I start indulging I usually get back to better eating habits by drinking tea with milk in it for snacks and making soups for lunch until I get back into better eating habits. This is what works for me. I do have to watch my sugar intake though because too much makes me break out and since I made that hot chocolate cake I am watching what I eat for the next couple of weeks.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

I have 12-15 pounds I need to get rid of depending on what place I put my info into on the net. My biggest chanllenge is smoking but that is another post.

DM lost 39 pounds last year following the WW points system. She use to be a paying member years ago. Now, she just uses what she learned from way back when. I know she has some kind of points book she refers to and keeps track of them on a daily basis. She does cheat from time to time but like others have mentioned everything in moderation when it comes to the bad stuff. She did go of course over the holiday but only gained four pounds. She has lost that and is back on track as of now.

The best diet and workout program I ever halfway followed was Bill Phillips Body for Life. I really need to get back into that routine. Six meals a day combined with working out six days a week. The thing I loved about the whole thing was the free day. No workouts and eat whatever you want and how much you want.

I think exercise would do me okay with my current eating habits even though they are not that great. Congrats to you who have lost weight and those taking on the challenge!!

David

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

David you know another great book is Fit for Life. I followed that way of eating for about a month and I swear I never had so much energy as then. It's food combining. I wonder why I stopped? It's pretty easy really.

You don't eat meat and potatoes. You can have meat but just not with potatoes. And you can have potatoes, just not with meat. Fruit is eaten alone. Very interesting.

• compumom
    14 years ago

Sharon, as usual you're filled with good info! The premise of the all protein diet forcing the body to burn the fat has made me realize that the reason my shape has changed so dramatically is because on my limited menu I eat mostly protein.

Shaun, I too have loads of energy on this diet. I'm sure that Diana will also attest that her regimen also works in a similar way.

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

Yup and it is a battle. Medications almost a couple years ago packed on 30 lbs in just a few weeks. They have been very difficult to take back off. I get more exercise then necessary and gained 10 lbs or so of muscle last year.

I was delighted to make the holidays without gaining. My social life and recreation consist mostly of going to the bar. I'd be much thinner were it not for a few beers each week. Last eight weeks I've lost 6 and gained back 2. We have scales at work that I can just step on so keeping a watch on my actual poundage is easy.

I target my fat intake. Some fat is critical for me to not feel hungry. I'm careful to eat fats that I like so butter, evoo, bacon, chocolate, and ice cream are on that short list. Big Macs, chips, and doughnuts are not on the edible list. Did have a doughnut on Fat Tuesday... prune filled!

Soup is my best friend. I eat lots of cabbage/onion/hot pepper soup. Because cabbage is fairly high in fiber the soup is filling and I can eat all I want without busting my calorie count. I also make lots of pea/bean/lentil soup which is a bit higher in calorie content but still a mostly eat all I want item.

Only six more pounds to lose and I'll be happy. If I can drop 16 I can buy new clothes and fit into some older stuff. Probably won't happen as I'm still gaining muscle from pushing steel at work (I make auto parts).

I have to take calcium pills or I have excessive joint/muscle pain.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Ellen I should mention that caution is necessary with a high protein diet since the burning of protein produces toxins which must be eliminated safely, thus the diuretic herbal infusions I take 3 time daily before meals.

Of course you can do such a diet yourself but I would recommend it to be always closely monitored by a dietitian who can inform you of the right amount of daily carbs (around 100 grams) that you must have to accompany the protein. My daily meals always include some form of green vegetable, olive oil, goat cheese, two slices of the recommended oat bread, 3 eggs per week, skim milk and yoghurt.

The one I follow is not so extreme as the Atkins Diet, and since the diuretics used are mixtures of herbs in little teabags, they're considered safer than chemical diuretics.
    I can say that I've had no ill effects after being on this one for 8 months and feel great. I did go to a doctor and had blood analysis (all was okay then) before starting the diet and visits to the dietitian are weekly. I'll go in the next days for another blood analysis just to see the results of dieting for so long.

Here's an attachment which discusses high protein diets. I would say that mine is a safe one and not at all extreme such as could be followed by some athletes.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: High Protein Low Carb Diets

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

I miss the "Slimmer Dinner" threads too!

I'm in the same boat. Before I went back to school in the fall of 2008, I was being very careful about what I ate (small meals throughout the day) and running about 10 miles a week. That's nothing for a "real" runner, but it was huge for me, and enough to allow me to slowly and consistently drop weight. I felt great. Kept at it for awhile, but over time allowed myself to become sedentary through long hours of classes, reading and studying. Also let bad eating habits creep back in as a reaction to stress and late nights. Many of my classmates were in the same boat - like freshman year of undergrad all over again.

So, I'm trying to get back on track . . .

• susie_que
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!!

Due to my work schedule, I do eat my main meal at around 2-3 pm. I am looking for ideas for snacks to take to work and for a light and I do mean light snack to eat when I get home.
    Day when I work I get home at around 10pm...watch a little tv till hubs get home and turn in...I was thinking about maybe some pop corn or pretzels but more often than not I crave something sweet at that time of night.

Ideas??

Susie

• gwtamara
    14 years ago

Add me to the list! I've had weight 'issues' for most of my adult life. About 12 years ago, I had great success with the Atkins plan. Over the years, I've gone back on a modified version (high protein, lower carbs) and done okay until recently. Sugar really is evil for me, so I know that's the key to my weight loss -- something to be said about being addicted to the things you crave the most, I guess. I also have to be very careful about having 'bad' things around me. I would love to be able to have just one chocolate chip cookie, but it never works that way for me.

Obviously, bread is a big no-no on a low carb diet and since I've gotten such joy in the last year baking bread, I decided to try a new approach. I would try counting calories and eat lower fat, less sugar, higher protein. I've never kept a food diary, but found a great App that has really made it easy for me. (I swear, I AM addicted to Apps! LOL) So far, I'm doing pretty good. Not losing as quickly as I'd like, but I think that's an age thing.

Tamara

• mtnester
    14 years ago

Oh, I need to check in here, too. About 15 years ago, I lost 80 pounds, and I kept most of it off for the next 10 years. But in the past few years, the weight has been creeping back up, and I seem to have lost the mindset and motivation I used to have. I weigh myself every morning and am filled with angst before breakfast, but by midafternoon, I've hit the skids (and the pantry). I'll eat a "legal" snack (e.g., an orange) first, but then I'll binge on other sweets. I know that I often succumb to the "power of suggestion," so I avoid reading the dessert threads on the CF. I still cook good, nutritious meals--more or less the same as when I was dieting--but I don't get the daily walks I used to take. Maybe, when the snow melts ...

Sue

• susytwo
    14 years ago

Susie,

I actually look forward to my snacks more than my meals. I try to keep my snacks between 100-150 calories:

-1/2 cup cottage cheese with thin slices of pineapple or peaches
    -apple slices with 1 TB of almond butter
    -Laughing Cow light cheese on Ryvita crispbread
    -A handful of sugar snap peas with 2 Tablespoons of hummus
    -1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt with 2 TB of Go Lean granola
    -popcorn tossed with Splenda and cayenne pepper (love it!)
    -1/2 avocado, w/ squirt of lime and a bit of kosher salt
    -1/2 cup Sunflower seeds
    -1/2 cup chick peas, rinsed, w/ tiny sprinkle of kosher salt
    -1/2 cup of any dry, crunchy cereals
    -1/2 pita spread with 2 TB of Dal

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susie, I've been loving the WW yogurt with about a tsp of grape nuts in it for my sweet fix. It's very satisfying and yummy. The yogurt is only 100 cals if you are counting calories and it's only 1 pt if you are counting points. 17g carbs if you're counting those.

Tamara! I'm right there next to ya. Addicted to the apps! Did you find the grocery gadget app I told you about? It's the bomb! What app do you use to keep track of your food?

As for exercising - I hate it. But I've started "hooping". You have to start out slow with it and build up to going longer. Anyone like to hula hoop?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoop Dee Doo

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Shaun, I was a champion hula-hooper...back when I had a waist.
    Sherry

• stacy3
    14 years ago

just wanted to say hang in there to everyone - it's nice to know we're all in it together...

I put on a little under 10 lbs that I lost (out of 25) last year - but am finding it pretty easy to get back into exercise since I didn't take loads of time off...it's definitely not like starting over. You bounce back a little more quickly. I don't plan to work out for 1 1/2 hrs a day approx, like I did for the first 6 months of last year...I'm struggling trying to find that balance of something that I will continue with.

Only problem was this AM, I learned to actually READ the numbers on those handweights - as I thought I was having some kind of muscle issue on my left side...it seems I was trying to shoulder press 20 lbs with my left arm and 15 w/ my right...sheesh - couldn't figure out why that left arm was struggling so!!!

I seem to flip flop between whether exercise is more important or nourishment...I think for me, I need to exercise and not just aerobic type stuff either...it has to be some weight bearing type stuff to see results...

but everyone will find the thing that works for them...WW has millions of success stories, as does TOPS, Curves, etc...good luck to everone!

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stacy, hahahah!!!

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I have enjoyed reading this, and would love to see more healthy recipes! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm headed over to the healthy recipes thread :-D

• spacific
    14 years ago

I'm in, but just one step at a time (literally!). In the fall, I started power walking in the hills 1/day per week. In early December, adding to the weekly walk, I started Boot Camp 3 days/week, 1/hour per day, but with no changes in diet. (I thought I was eating pretty healthy.) I've noticed definite improvement in muscle tone, back to where I should be, but I still wasn't really getting rid of the excess bulge in the middle. After really analyzing the diet... too many carbs, too many lunchtime burritos, I've slipped on my healthy eating habits. So since last week, I've cut out wheat products, (allowing myself 1-2 servings per week only)... goodbye to bagels, croissants, pasta... hello to whole grain, gluten-free toast with almond butter and lentil/whole grain & veggie soups and stews.

I can't diet. I think too much about food then. But if I just incorporate one thing at a time, after a few weeks, it's a lifestyle change and lasts for years (until I slack little by little and have to ramp up a bit like I'm doing now).

See you all over at the slim recipe thread.
    Ann

• sissyz
    14 years ago

ME!! I am dieting!! I began keeping fat grams under 15/day on Christmas Day. I have lost 17 pounds since then!
    I posted, new here, looking for lower fat foods when I started. I think I have gotten really good at it, now.
    Last night, I made grilled chicken gyros with homemade wheat pitas with tzatziki sauce. Nonfat Greek yogurt, lots of garlic, and cukes! I loaded the gyros with red pepper, cukes, onion and greek olives. I took a picture cause I was so thrilled with it! I will try to figure out how to post them.
    I keep track of fat grams on LIVESTRONG.COM. It seems pretty accurate. I haven't had a french fry or drive thru anything since Dec. and I have found myself craving it once in a while.
    The baked chips are good, the low fat cheese is not. Light mayo is passable, light sour cream is good. But low fat mayo is not right...The 2% cheese isn't bad, but the 75% is dry and crumbly. Turkey bacon is kinda ok, and they make ground turkey everything-including taco flavored, italian seasoned, and breakfast. It's cutting loads of fat out of my diet. I'm getting used to it. The part about the ground turkey that bothers me is the statement on the label-mechanically separated turkey.
    EEEsh... Separated from what?? oh, never mind!!!
    I'll go look for directions how to show you my gyros!!

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sissy! hahaah! Can't wait to see your picture.

• dlundin
    14 years ago

Oh, pants were a little tight, had to cut back after the holidays. Exercise is key for me, I do a lot of it intensely. But I do like the protein/low-carb way of eating. It takes weight off fast and I'm usually not hungry.

I just made the NY Times no-knead bread this weekend. That was a mistake. I must forget I ever knew the recipe.

• gwtamara
    14 years ago

Shaun -- I did download it. It's great! I like being able to access it from the web, too. The app I'm using for tracking is called Nutrition Menu. Has a great database of foods and allows you to input your own. You can use their defaults for tracking calories, carbs, fat grams, etc or tweak it. It also tracks points. All in all, very good.

Sissy -- I had no idea what mechanically separated meat was...so i had to wiki it. I'm pretty sure I'm sorry that I did. LOL I'll spare everyone the grossness. ;)

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Hey, Diana, I'm happy to see you. And tight pants or no, I'm sure you still have a fantastic butt...

Don't even want to talk about "mechanically separated meat", Sissy, but I'd love to see your pictures.

Annie

• sissyz
    14 years ago

yikes. that's what I was afraid of!!
    Here is the wheat pita, (50WW/50AP) the way my little Darling ate it. I cannot get her to eat meat. Unless it's very expensive cuts.

This is what Hubby's looked like:

Does that look like diet food...???!!!

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Oh, oh. I just drooled all over the monitor. That looks so luscious.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Nope, sissy, it doesn't. In fact it looks delicious, I just had some broccoli for lunch and I'd love some of that!

Annie

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone:
    Just recieved this from my Daughter in an Email.
    Thought you might enjoy some humor.
    The Doctor's Photo didn't come in, he looked to be Japanese.
    LOU
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is his medical advice for the day!

I love this Doctor!

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
    A: Your heart only good for so many beats, and that it...don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually.
    Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster.
    Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
    A: You must grasp logistical efficiency. What does cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables.
    So steak is nothing more than efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken.
    Beef also good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable).
    And pork chop can give you 100% of recommended daily allowance of vegetable product.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
    A: No, not at all. Wine made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine,
    that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way.
    Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
    A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one.
    If you have two bodies, your ratio two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
    A: Can't think of single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
    A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food are fried these day in vegetable oil. In fact, they permeated by it.
    How could getting more vegetable be bad for you?!?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
    A: Definitely not! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger.
    You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
    A: Are you crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
    A: If swimming good for your figure, explain whale to me..

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
    A: Hey! 'Round' a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but
    rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other -
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

AND.....

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health.
    It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat
    and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like.
    Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Thank you Lou. I think I like that doctor.

• lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

I've been battling my weight since I was a teen. I'm not all that overweight, but at 5'1" 5 pounds is a size difference for me. So if I gain 3-5 pounds, nothing fits me anymore! I HATE being short lol!!

Hubby started WW - they gave it as a free benefit at his work. Of course I had to count his points for him and make his lunches and meals so I figured I might as well do it along with him. He lost over 50 pounds and I lost 20. It was fantastic! I was a size 4!! Of course Thanksgiving came, then Christmas and I started creeping up and before I knew it, I had gained 14 pounds back!!! I've been having a VERY hard time getting back on it, but I have to. Right now, I need to lose about 10 pounds, but I'm going to Philly this weekend and I'm eating my way thru that Reading Terminal Market, so no dieting for me until I get back! So by then, I'll probably have to lose 15 pounds!!

I do have quite a few low-fat recipes so if anyone starts a thread I can post them when I get back.

My problem isn't what I eat - I tend to eat very healthy. My problem is I have the appetite of a baby rhino!! I can eat my 6'1" husband under the table! Also, I loathe exercise. The only exercise I have ever enjoyed and stuck to was yoga. And I haven't done that in a couple years now, so I have to get back to it.

It's so hard when you love food and love to cook!! Luckily I really love veggies and can load up on them at meals.

Lisa

• robin_DC
    14 years ago

Lisa--I had that baby rhino appetite for most of my life, although my grandmother preferred to say that I 'ate like a horse.' Until my mid-20s, I could eat like a NFL linebacker and still be a size 4; then my metabolism entered the real world... Interestingly, I've found that following weight watchers' simply filling program is reducing my appetite. I eat 'to satisfaction' every day, but it must be less than I used to eat, because I have lost weight on the weeks that I've been faithful to the plan (I went on a dessert and cheese spree over the holidays, so I regained and had to re-lose). So if you try WW again and have trouble staying within 'points' without being hungry, it may be worth looking into simply filling to see if that works for you.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Lou - that is my all time favorite post of yours!

Alexa

• blueiris24
    14 years ago

I joined WW this morning (again) and just came across this post.... I don't eat artificial sweeteners either so I'm having to figure out some other options when it comes to things like that..... good luck everyone!

• traceys
    14 years ago

I can't even think about the word diet because I'll just want to eat.

Last spring I got somewhat serious about losing some weight, getting fit and feeling better. I was literally living on candy. I haven't had candy since last May. I haven't given up chocolate but I no longer eat Snickers, Reese's PB cups and all the rest I used to buy. I do allow myself Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips. Usually a small handfull will satisfy me.

I started logging what I ate and how much exercise I did on The Daily Plate on Livestrong.com. It really worked for me. I did try WW initially but I didn't like it. I eat what I want but in smaller portions. When I keep track and look at what I've eaten it's easier to stick to it. I also learned I cannot eat carbs in the morning unless I have some protein. My normal breakfast is either Greek yogurt or whole wheat or rye toast with some real butter(I'm not going to deprive myself) and a hard boiled egg.

I have lost about 20lbs. 7lbs came off between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I always lose weight around the holidays and put some off after.

Exercise is another biggie for me. I always hated it but last spring I got a mountain bike so I could go with my son. We had a great time together, I felt great and I actually like cycling. I now have my bike hooked up to a trainer in the living room so when the weather breaks I won't have to start over. I'm in pretty good shape right now and that makes me feel better when it comes to watching what I eat.

I have been riding my bike and watching the Olympics that I've recorded. It's been a great motivator. I find myself going faster and riding longer.

I'm looking forward to following everyones progress. I would like to lose another 10lbs. It probably won't happen until I can get back outside to ride my bike. My son really pushes me on the trails(or he's trying to kill me).

Tracey

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Alexa:
    Thank You !!!

I just recieved another Email about Banana's.
    Guess it is Diet related.

Always wondered where my Brain power came from.
    I eat banana's almost every day.

It is also high in Fibre. Might help some Grouchy people.
    LOU
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bananas

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas.
    He said the expression "going bananas" is from the effects of bananas on the brain. Read on:
    Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!

This is interesting..
    After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose & glucose combined with fiber.
    A banana gives an instant, sustained & substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.
    No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit.
    It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses & conditions,
    making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood & generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia : High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood & so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure.
    So much so, the US Food & Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure & stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, & lunch in a bid to boost their brain power.
    Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.
    The banana calms the stomach &, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes & re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up & avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin.
    Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling & irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight & at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate & chips.
    Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture & smoothness.
    It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity & reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical & emotional temperature of expectant mothers.
    In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking.
    The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium & magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain & regulates your body's water balance.
    When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels.
    These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin & place it on the wart, with the yellow side out.
    Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills.

When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A & iron, & twice the other vitamins & minerals.
    It is also rich in potassium & is one of the best value foods around.
    So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say,
    "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
    PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time!
    I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes??
    Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, & rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Bananas are prohibited on my weight loss diet because of the high sugar content.

They have a glycemic value of 60 (out of 100) so are not recommended for anyone who is trying to lose weight.

I used to dry and chop the skins and dig them in around my rose bushes for a potassium boost.

SharonCb

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think bananas are my favorite fruit.

But...... if I don't eat the bananas when they are still almost green, I can't stand them and wont eat them.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

I was waiting for all the input before commenting.

I always thought that if you eat in moderation and exercise,it would keep you in good shape.
    Of course, this doesn't hold true for everyone.

I can't exercise as much as in my younger days.

Hope I don't get anyone upset, like in the Post when I asked for photo's, when we were in our prime.

Now it seems like everyone is talking about loosing all that unwanted stuff and
    No one is upset .???
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few years back I read a college study, about our digestive system.
    It stated that the elimination process is up till about 12 noon and that's when we absorb most calories.

And to eat some fruit in the morning for breakfast.

Eat a good lunch and a light dinner.

So I bought a small paper back that listed Calories in foods. ( 45 cents then )
    I stuck to the amount of Calories or less, for the intake that I needed to survive daily.

But I would pig out on one meal a week, to keep my mental marbles clicking in sync.

If I did good, I had a snack at night for a reward.
    I lost 20 lbs. in a month.

Previous to this I ate a large breakfast, because I did very strenuous work and I needed the Calories.
    Also ate a large lunch but the Calories were burned off.

Then the activities slowed down the weight went up.
    This was later in life.

I try to exercise as much as possible now but procrastination takes over.

I know everyone doesn't have the same capabilities, for the mental and physical aspects.
    I think the mental part of dieting, has a lot to do, for a win or loss.
    Guess that would be a win or win.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would still like to do a Post on how we looked in our younger years.
    But I wouldn't want to get everyone's terd churner's out of wack, again.
    Can I have some suggestions , on how to word it.

I would be the first to put in before and even after Photo's.
    Lou

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOU since you don't "want to get everyone's terd churner out of wHack".... which is a rather crass remark, my suggestion is, don't.

I started this thread to find out who was dieting since I am. I was looking for support.

I don't want to see your before or after picture thank you very much.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Shawn:
    OK , Thank you
    Lou

PS:
    Not as crass as some of the remarks I've heard on the CF

• shaun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So anyway..............

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Lou,
    I spent years as a PR professional on Wall Street. Then I worked in advertising. Believe me when I tell you there is NO WAY to word it in a way that won't upset people. The concept, at its most basic level, is superficial and sexist.
    I am very disappointed. I would have thought you would have learned from your last attempt at this topic. Anyone else would have. I don't know if it is optimism or just stupidity that makes you ask again. Honestly, it makes me wonder why you continue to post. Unless you just like to stir the pot.

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Oh Lou, I do not think that people wanting to lose unwanted weight and people not wanting to be told they looked their best 20 years (complete with before and after pictures)previous has anything to do with the other. I want to lose weight because I want to stop making my heart work so hard and to feel healthier and look better. Nothing to do with looking younger.
    Lou, just go on over to "Gallery", post your before and after pictures of yourself that you are dying to post, and please stop trying to make it about food.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Like Sherry, I try to keep my weight down for my health, I have some bad genetics and don't want to end up in a wheelchair like Dad with his heart disease and diabetes.

If anyone would like to post pictures which are not food related, they can do it on the gallery and anyone else who wishes may join in, thus avoiding any accusations of pot stirring, insulting or otherwise contentious activities. It's what the gallery is for.

Annie