SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vatmark

Tile experts I need your help!

vatmark
16 years ago

We have a big raised patio that is tiled. It is 5 years old and we never had any problems with it until this past winter. We had freezing rain storm and some water must have gotten under some tile and it froze and buckled a section. It buckled right down the grout of 3 tiles. So 3 tiles on one side of the grout line buckled up and 3 on the other side. The tiles themselves did not break. We pulled up these tiles and have this area tarpped over to prevent any water from getting on it. I need to know the best way to go about fixing this. We have extra tiles from when the patio was first built and we have grout as well.

The patio as I said is raised. I'll do my best to explain how it was done. Please bear with me. The patio footings were poured at the same time the house footings were poured. And the foundation of the patio was built along with the house. Then they filled the patio foundation in with dirt and tamped it down. Then cement poured and cured and then on top of that some kind of special cement bed(?) kind of thing that they skimmed a certain way to make sure that water would run off the patio. I am not sure if it was just 100% cement or something special used for this type of application.

So what is the best way to go about fixing this? What product has to be used to afix the tiles back down? Brand names if possible would be nice.

We also want to go about fixing any small cracks in the grout over the entire patio. I know we will have to remove the grout in these areas and regrout. What is best to use to cut out the grout?

Thanks for any help you can give me. We want to get this mess fixed. I am tired of looking at a blue plastice tarp.

Ann

Comments (2)