SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hwhl

Trouble with hardwood floors - please help!

hwhl
10 years ago

Hello,

Let me just say first that I love this forum and I thank all of you here for the expert advise. Here is my problem. I am redoing the floors in my house. The first floor had prefinished hardwood floors, which started to wear out, and the second floor had carpet. The contractor assured me that a prefinished floor can be sanded and refinished and will look great. He also put in a new hardwood floor upstairs. Well, when I got to the house to check what they've done, I was in a complete shock. The floors came out splotchy and there is so much color variations that it looks horrible (I'm including the picture). Both the contractor and I are completely baffled and are wondering if the floor guy scammed him. Here are my questions:

1) Why did the prefinished floor look beautiful and even and now it looks uneven and splotchy and totally different colored? By the way, both floors look exactly the same now.

2) Upstairs he was supposed to put what he called a "#2" oak. Now he's saying that the floor guy scammed him and probably put a "#3" oak which is a lower grade material. How can we tell?

3) We're moving in in 10 days so I guess putting in an unfinished floor and finishing it with stain and oil-based finish is not an option because we don't have enough time. What are my options? I wanted to go with an engineered hardwood, but the contractor is saying that the subfloor is weak and I have to go with 3/4 oak to make it stronger...

4) What is the difference between engineered hardwood and prefinished hardwood in terms of refinishing. I know that engineered can be refinished only once but the big question is will it come out the same as this prefinished floor came out? And is there a prefinished floor that can be sanded and stained and will come out good?

Thank you very much for any help - I just don't trust these guys anymore and I need to make a decision quickly otherwise I will have to pay for storage and moving twice...

Sandy.

Comments (6)