SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_9807633

Gaps on new hardwood floor! Please help!

Heidi Z
4 years ago

A contractor started to install 5" hickory solid hardwood planks in my new house (nail down). He finished around 350-400 sqf in the first day and I did a check. I can see a good number of obvious gaps which I can slid in a credit card. I attached some pictures of the gaps, all of which are wide enough for a credit card. The last two picture is a overall looking of what has been finished, taking by my father who is 5'9" tall.

I have being panic for couple days now. Especially that the hardwood floor is installed in the hottest and wettest month of the year. I am afraid the gaps will become rediculous in winters. The contractor said there is a milling problem but I do not fully buy it. Because I can clearly see that, in picture 1 and 2, there is an alignment problem.

Can anyone advice if these gaps are normal/acceptable? Is there anyway to fix the planks already done? Should I think about redoing the floor or repairing of these gaps? I would be more than glad to hear that I am just too picky!

Thanks a ton!

Comments (12)