SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

Bake sale question

donnar57
16 years ago

One of the moms and I were talking - at the last bake sale I went to (as a customer), I was absolutely AMAZED. Of the entire array of items for sale on the bake sale table, only TWO things were hand-made. Both were cookies (choc chip and oatmeal, I think). Everything else was store-bought: brownies, cupcakes, cookies. The plates of homemade cookies were selling FAST. The other items were slower to go.

So we were trying to think of what we could say to people about bringing HANDMADE, or HOMEMADE, items for a bake sale. Maybe it was our "midwest mentality" that makes us think, when you go to a bake sale, you'll see delicious homemade items there. But we see more store bought stuff than anything - rather disappointing, and for the group sponsoring the bake sale, hardly a money-maker.

My fellow teachers were noticing similar trends for elementary school parties and birthdays. Most things are store-bought these days. It's almost rare when a mom takes the time to bake cookies or a cake for those occasions. Gosh, my mom and grandma always did that for our parties and birthdays!

Those of you that do bake sales - any advice???

DonnaR/CA

Comments (23)