SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trofywife

Flooring Experts - Brazilian Teak questions...

trofywife
17 years ago

After over a year of deciding on what type of wood floors I want, I finally decided on Brazilian Teak. (Yes, I want my floors to look like GardenChicks too :) ) I ordered several samples from different companies and chose WFI.

Well, now I am hearing about all sorts of problems from 5" no longer being shipped to this country to 5" only on the East Coast. Well, I don't mind paying for shipping to get it to the West Coast. But then I was told 5" is too unstable and will cup and buckle. I have heard this about any really hard flooring in any width. I would like more opinions from the wood flooring experts here.

I am only intersted in solid flooring, not engineered.

We are in San Diego county, but inland. So not so much humidity, but greater temp difference. However, nothing like the midwest and east. The flooring will be installed on a wood subfloor over an unheated basement. We do not run our heat or a/c unless necessary, too expensive. And we do not monitor the humidity in our home. And we don't want to have to worry about our floors being too hot or too cold or too dry, we don't even worry that much about our kids :).

Is Brazilain Teak or any of the really hardwoods going to be a problem now or in the future? If so, where on the Janka scale should we be looking? The harder the better as we have kids and dogs. And I have a tendency to drop things.

Thank you so much for any advice you can give me!!!

Comment (1)