SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handust

Very bad finish on new Brazilian teak flooring -- what now?

Lisa
17 years ago

Hi there,

I'm new to this board but a frequent contributor to other boards on GardenwWeb. We just completed a major addition/renovation of our house. With the exception of the kitchen, bathrooms and kids' rooms, the entire house has new Brazilian teak floors. We were absolutely thrilled with the installation -- everything looked beautiful and top notch and we are very happy with our contractor.

HOWEVER, I discovered too late (after we had moved back in) that whomever he hired to finish the floors did a terrible job. The first coat was applied several weeks prior to seal and protect the floors, then paper and cardboard immediately spread out to protect them during the remainder of the finish work. We postponed our move-in date twice to accommodate our contractor, who clearly was pressed for time. He had said all along there would be two additional coats going down after the original coating. For whatever reason, that third coat never got laid down. I believe he became pressed for time and postponed the floor finish until 2 days before we moved in. Without knowing a thing about floor finishing, I assumed he and the floor finishers knew what they were doing.

Obviously not. An oilbased finish was used, but I have no idea what it was (I intend to find out tomorrow). With only 2 coats, it really shows that it is "unfinished". Although it is supposed to be a matte finish, it is TOO matte. It is instantly noticeable that not enough coats were applied -- there are shinier spots in places, but most of it barely has a sheen at all. If you even look at the floor wrong, it scratches. I have seen many, many wood floors in my day, but never have I seen a wood floor so delicate that you can't even gently pull a chair from the dining table to sit down. Everything must literally be picked up and set down, and you dare not move it even a millimeter or you will absolutely scratch the "finish". It is like living on a surface that was very smooth and then painted over without priming -- every slight movement produces a scratch.

Needless to say, I'm furious. Not only was the work not done right, but now we are moved back into our house and it will take a tremendous amount of work to move everything from one room to another, having floors refinished room by room with an oil-based finish that takes a good 24 hours to dry per coat!

I'm not actually certain who is at fault, and the contractor is willing to fix the problem, but this time I want complete control over what transpires. I want to know how many coats should be laid down, and now that an oil-based finish has already been started, I'm assuming we must now continue on with oil-based whether or not that is the best?

Ugh, I'm really hoping someone can offer us some help in choosing the best course of action. We are very unhappy about having to further disrupt our lives because of this error, but we certainly want to make sure it's done right this time -- I don't want to do this again for a VERY long time.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (20)