SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

a basic creamy salad dressing as start for others?

marys1000
14 years ago

I have been, for the last couple of years, trying to wean myself off processed foods. I have graduated from box mac and cheese to making my own on top of the stove and some other few successes. But I am starting to find that the whole recipe thing isn't working for me all that well. I'm far more likely to cook something if I have a basic rule of thumb reference and go from there as I tend to drive myself crazy studying, researching looking at 10s and 20s of recipes and getting overwhelmed. I'm single, randomly trying too many different recipes gets wasteful and expensive and its hard to know where to start so sometimes I just don't.

Right now I've been looking for a ranch dressing recipe and a blue cheese recipe and a poppy seed recipe and generally it seems creamy salad dressings can vary greatly.

Anyone have any rules of thumb and ratios for a basic cream salad dressing that I can learn then tinker with for ranch vs. blue cheese etc.?

Like 1/3 mayo, 1/3 sour cream, 1/3 buttermilk (I don't ever have on had but do have that powder), or vinegar or half and half salt, pepper, seasoning specific to.....

A ratio of this to a ratio of that......?

Comments (7)