SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Favorite Salad Dressings

Funkyart
7 years ago

I have been eating a lot of salad lately and I am in a rut and tired of the same old dressings-- I have been using:

• evoo/vinegar + salt, pepper & freeze dried basil
  • evoo + orange/lemon juices + garlic+ herbs
  • a bottled Caesar.

There are a few Trader Joe's bottled dressings I like but I am out-- I need to plan a trip.

What are your favorite recipes or bottled dressings?

My limitations: no sour cream/yogurt, no feta (though I can easily substitute) and I generally don't like my dressings too sweet. Please feel free to share your favorites independent of my preferences.

Comments (51)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

I generally eat salad without dressing, but when I make one it's usually

EVO+White Wine Vinegar+Dijon mustard or

EVO +Balsamic.

Try making your own Caesar dressing--it isn't anything like the bottled kind, and if you can get duck eggs, try using those for extra richness. Of course you need a trusted egg source for this, since the egg shouldn't more than lightly coddled.

Funkyart thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • cawaps
    7 years ago

I'll do an oil & lime juice dressing seasoned with New Mexico chili and sometimes cumin. Puts a bit of Tex-Mex flavor, and I'll pair it with salads with corn, black beans, and/or avocado. In fact I have a bean salad that I pull out for potlucks that uses this dressing.

My daughter is obsessed with flavored balsamic vinegars, and we have a huge collection (fig, peach, pomegranate, blackberry, etc., etc.) that we've picked up a craft fairs. Nice for mixing up your balsamic dressings.

I have a bottle of Light House blue cheese dressing that I picked up to pair with buffalo wings for a party I hosted, but I've been loving it on salads.

Funkyart thanked cawaps
  • Related Discussions

Springs Sensational Salad Seed Swap

Q

Comments (10)
    Bea, It's always best if everyone tries not to duplicate so we can all get a good variety in our exchanges. One or two of the same type is OK though. It would also help if everyone would include a list of what they've sent so they don't end up getting the same seeds back by mistake. The bubble envelope with stamps and a label is perfect. I'm really glad you're joining in on this swap. I'm such a salad fanatic! I'm often teased at how "creative" (or crazy) I get when I throw everything into them. I grow salads for my cat and my bird too! My favorites are anything tasty and unusual. I'm currently growing 12 varieties of lettuce and always looking for more! This swap is exciting for me too! I can't wait to try all of the salad dressing recipes! I'm getting hungry already! Arin
    ...See More

Springs Sensational Salad Seed Swap

Q

Comments (13)
    Oops, went to the PO this morning and found my seeds back in the box. No postage stamps were on it. I guess I am out because I will be too late. Sorry but hopefully next year. Sonja
    ...See More

great tomato dressing recipie

Q

Comments (3)
    Great way to use cherry tomatoes! I tried this last night, it tasted good on lettuce. I am buying more lettuce tonight. I increased the garlic, but I like garlic. Be careful with the sugar, I added a little to much. thanks, Dean
    ...See More

My new favorite bottled salad dressing

Q

Comments (9)
    Nope, but I will. I love Caesar salad but, like you, I've never cared for the bottled stuff. Thanks for the heads up! Wanted to make a Caesar salad while my sister is here. Is it on the aisle with the salad dressings or in the produce department? Anybody find it at Publix or Winn-Dixie?
    ...See More
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Champagne vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, frozen basil, S&P

Finely diced sun-dried tomatoes, minced garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, S&P - all whizzed up in the blender.

Bottled dressing: Brianna's Poppy Seed

Funkyart thanked Fun2BHere
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have made my own Caesar.. but it's not what I've been doing.

Cawaps, I have been craving a fresh lime dressing! I use it for salad and for marinades-- unfortunately my market has NO limes (can you believe it??). I'll have to head to another.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

unfortunately my market has NO limes (can you believe it??). I'll have to head to another.

Even if your store had bushels of limes you could probably find them for a tenth the price at a Latin grocery in your area, if you have one.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

I love this vegan green goddess dressing. I also like a lot of the Dr. Joel Fuhrman dressings that use nuts for the fat instead of oil. One I hope to try soon is a mustard dressing that uses pistachios.

I also love to use a bit of EVOO, walnut oil, Pedro Ximenez sherry vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper and a dash of mustard.

Funkyart thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

Start with a vinegar and white sugar base. I would start with 1:1 ratio by volume using plain white vinegar and remove sugar until you have the acidity you want. Once you know the ratio, substitute different vinegars until you find a favorite mix. Then you can experiment with oil, mayo, pickles, ketchup, or whatever. I would start mixing those in at the volume of vinegar you use.

Funkyart thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

I think the right vinegar makes all the difference. I am madly in love with this vinegar. (it is 4% acidity) My husband makes a dressing for the kids with a good seasons packet - a small amount of oil, water and that vinegar. My 4 yr old was upset the other day because he saw me using the vinegar and said it was his for his dressing for salad. cracked me up.

I have never done a vinegar tasting but would love to at some point!

I made one this week from a blog with no oil and beans to make it "creamy" it is really good. but it is WFPBnoSOS so not for everyone :)

Funkyart thanked Boopadaboo
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No latin groceries nearby-- though there are some Asian markets that aren't too inconvenient.

Tish, I have walnut oil and I always forget to bring it out because it's in a different part of the pantry!

I often use shallots in my dressings too-- i start with what I consider is a basic O&V dressing with variations of herbs/aromatics, oils, vinegars etc. Still, it gets boring sometimes unless it is something that has a real punch!

I've been using pistachios or walnuts in my salads pretty regularly.. I'll have to check out the Joel Fuhrman dressings.

Any thoughts on Trader Joe's dressings? I know I like the cilantro and the peanut vinaigrette.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the idea of using beans to make a dressing creamy-- especially with my limitations on dairy.

But what in the heck is WFPBnoSOS?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

You can also use tahini to make creamy dressings without dairy.

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

here are some more links this one I have tried and liked: roasted red pepper it is in a blog post - just scroll down.

another on my list to try - I make my own chipolte dressing right now, but it is more for ricebowls chipolte dressing

and in case anyone else wants some that are WFPBnoSOS: plant based no oil dressings

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

oh sorry - it is whole foods plant based no salt oil or sugar. :)

here is the creamy balsamic dressing

• cawaps
    7 years ago

Boopadaboo, my daughter had a vinegar tasting for her 11th birthday. It was a big hit with both kids and parents.

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

cawaps that is fantastic. Lucky girl :)

• amylou321
    7 years ago

I love that they sell the olive garden dressing in the grocery store now. All other bottled dressings are too sweet for me. I hate sweet salad dressing. I also like the Hidden Valley powder packets,made to the package directions. Much better than the bottled.

Funkyart thanked amylou321
  • Gooster
    7 years ago

For the basic vinaigrette, I tend to use 1/2 red wine vinegar and 1/2 lemon juice, minced shallots or a crushed garlic clove, 1 tsp dijon, minced herbs, S&P, and EVOO. (exact measurements adjusted for salad volume). I sometimes get flavored dijons for special situations (e.g., dill or tarragon) or vary up the herbs to complement the dish (dried if all else fails)

Funkyart thanked Gooster
  • User
    7 years ago

I used to always love the salad at Olive Garden and was happy when their dressing was available in the stores too. I've always struggled to be a green food person but recently I also discovered that our local farmer's market makes some really fresh precut salads with Romain lettuce, carrots, red cabbage and radishes that's super good. I add red onion to it and can now have my "Olive Garden Salad" any time I want!

Last week, I bought a new dressing for my husband, it's a Hazel Nut and Rasberry vinegarette made by Wish Bone. He says it's good but different.

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

I left the granulated garlic out of my recipe, about 1/2 tsp.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all.. it sounds like many of us do the same variations on a vinaigrette. I tend to keep shallots in the house more often than onions these days so if shallots aren't in my dressing, they're in my salad.

I really like the idea of a red pepper salad dressing.. and I'd like to try one made with beans to make it creamy so I will try the one boop linked above:

Roasted Red Pepper Dressing/Sauce. Vegan. Oil-free. Nut-free.
    Makes 3.5 cups

1 large roasted red pepper from a jar
    1 15 ounce can no salt navy or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    ¾ cup water
    ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
    2 Tbsp chopped shallot, or 1 tsp onion powder
    1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 large date
    Fresh black pepper

I am also going to try my hand at a ginger citrus dressing.

I used to have much more of a variety of vinegars. I think that's a great way to mix it up too. I have been wanting to try the TJ's orange muscat champagne vinegar -- not sure when I will get to TJ's again so I ordered it from amazon (even though it's much more expensive there).

This is great. So many new ideas!

• CindyMac
    7 years ago

Sensation dressing or Caesar on romaine salads. EVOO & pomegranate balsamic on arugula or spinach salads with goat cheese. Creamy Meyer lemon or raspberry vinaigrette with toasted pecans on baby greens.

Sensation Dressing

1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    2-3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice

2 teaspoons finely minced garlic

1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese

fresh ground pepper

Whisk well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caesar Salad Dressing

1 small garlic clove, minced

2 teaspoons anchovy paste

1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons EV olive oil

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Combine in food processor. Add cheese near the end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creamy Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette

3 Tablespoons Meyer lemon juice

3 Tablespoon olive oil

about 1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon balsamic or pomegranate balsamic vinegar

1 Tablespoon mayo

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1 clove garlic, crushed

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Whisk together until mayo blends into vinaigrette, leaving no lumps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raspberry Vinaigrette

1/2 cup mild oil, such as canola or vegetable oil
    2 TB honey
    1 scant TB Dijon mustard
    3 TB red wine vinegar (white balsamic works well too)
    1 tsp fresh lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    half of 1/2 pint fresh raspberries, about 1/2 cup*

*Frozen berries, thawed, can also be used.

Combine all ingredients except berries in a mini-food processor or blender and process briefly to emulsify. Add berries and process until liquid. Check seasoning by dipping a piece of the greens into the dressing to get a true assessment. (Strain to remove seeds)

Store in fridge and shake or whisk well before using again.

Funkyart thanked CindyMac
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I love Briannas dressings especially the real French Vinaigrette right now I use it often in cooking.

http://www.target.com/p/briannas-home-style-real-french-vinaigrette-dressing-12-oz/-/A-13373095

I also like Ken's dressings. I also like various flavors of vinegar, pomegranate, Raspberry, pear are some favorites.

Funkyart thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

This is one I posted long ago on the Kitchen Table forum.

AVOCADO DRESSING

1 large avocado peeled, mashed
    1/2 c. sour cream
    1/4 c. milk
    1/4 c. mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1/8 tsp. garlic salt, up to 1/4 tsp. (I used 1/4)
    2-3 drops hot sauce

Mix together and refrigerate several hours to blend flavors.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh that Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette sounds yum!

Thank you, Cindy Mac and Raven!

• Bunny
    7 years ago

Olive oil + balsamic or lemon juice. A little S&P. Sometimes garlic. If I want to get fancy I whisk in a bit of dijon. I don't think olive oil + vinegar can be beat.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's not open (that's why it's in a different location)-- it's sealed in a metal container. Does that mean it is ok?

I agree, some variation of oil/acid (vinegar or citrus juice) + aromatics (shallots, scallions, garlic) + herbs is great/best.. but don't you get tired of it? I am eating salads 1-2 times a day every day. I know it's lame but it's easiest for me right now. When I cook, it's something i can add to a salad over a number of days. I vary what's in the salad but it would help to vary the dressings too. Sometimes I just want some different flavors or something decadently creamy.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

For bottled dressing, I am fond of Annie's Natural Shitake and Sesame, also Sesame Ginger. I like Chinese style salad that is dressed with rice wine vinegar, a drop of sesame oil, maybe peanut butter, garlic, ginger.

Funkyart thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago
    • Liquid Gold Salad Dressing

5T orange champagne vinegar

2T extra virgin olive oil

1T fig jam

1 clove garlic, minced (or 1 tsp jarred)

1/4 tsp.-1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard

The classic vinaigrette:

1 shallot, minced

2 tablespoons white
      wine vinegar

2 heaping
      teaspoons Dijon mustard

¼ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon coarsely
      ground black pepper

1 cup extra-virgin
      olive oil, more to taste

Red
      Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette

1/4 cup red pepper jelly

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation1. Place jelly in a 1-cup
      glass measure. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds. Add cider vinegar, oil, salt, and
      black pepper, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cool to room temperature.

Maple Dressing

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup pure maple syrup

3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or other white wine vinegar

2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 T poppyseeds

Funkyart thanked MtnRdRedux
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Creamy Caesar

1 cupMayonnaise

3 Garlic Cloves

1/4 teaspoons Salt

1 tablespoon Lemon

1 teaspoonDijon Mustard

1 teaspoonWorcestershire Sauce

1/2 cupsParmesan Cheese; grated

1/2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper

Low-fat Blue Cheese

1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt

1 tablespoon 2% milk

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Pinch of cayenne pepper

1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mtn, the liquid gold dressing sounds great (and I've been looking for an excuse to get fig jam or preserves!). A café I like has a salad with chicken, grapefruit and cashews with a fig dressing that sounds very similar.

I also like the sound of the pepper jelly dressing. Is it overly sweet?

Raee, I used to make a dressing with rice wine vinegar and sesame oil, garlic and ginger and a touch of sugar-- I never thought to add peanut butter! I am going to experiment.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

it's sealed in a metal container. Does that mean it is ok?

Probably, as long as it isn't especially hot in your pantry. Last August I was without A/C for three weeks and the temperature in here was 86 and up the whole time. Every oil in the cupboards went bad, even those in unopened bottles.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

I generally don't have time to make a homemade dressing unless it's the standard vinegar and oil. However, my favorite bottled dressing, especially in the summer, is Dorothy Lynch. Similar to French but much better.

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • sas95
    7 years ago

Olive oil and fig vinegar is really good.

Funkyart thanked sas95
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

I have made dressings substituting red grapefruit or blood orange juice for the vinegar, olive oil, a bit of chopped shallot, salt, pepper.

For bottled, I like Marie's vinaigrettes, and Marzetti's Simply Dressed.

Funkyart thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will have to stop at our local oil/vinegar specialty store. I wasn't all that impressed when it first opened and I buy my olive oils elsewhere but it should definitely have some interesting vinegars.

Diane, I just saw that the local market has blood oranges (not usually available here!) so I will give that a try too. Funny, I use grapefruit in marinades but I never thought to add it to a dressing-- and red grapefruit is always available.

Oakley, I've never heard of Dorothy Lynch. I'll have to look for it. It's not my usual preference but every so often I like a French.

I have never developed a taste for 1000 Island dressing other than on a sandwich.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    7 years ago

Bottled: Marie's Super Blue

Homemade: Seasoned Rice Vinegar, fresh minced garlic, lemon juice, EVOO, crushed red pepper flakes, Dijon mustard and sometimes, depending on the salad I am dressing, a half teaspoon or so of brown sugar. I like to use a small mason jar to shake & mix & for serving as well, very rustic style.

Funkyart thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Yummy - I love home made dressing and can hardly do the bottled stuff. One thing I always wonder about it how long I can keep home made dressing in the fridge? The store bought stuff seems to be so preserved that it lasts a long time - even the kind you buy in the refrigerated section. But what is the life of home made?

Funkyart thanked 3katz4me
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    7 years ago

I try to make only enough for the meal unless I plan to have salad again within a few days. Any left over after that is used for a marinade or thrown out.

Funkyart thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

There's some good ones here! 50 different ones to choose from and lots of salads too.

50 salad dressings

• tinam61
    7 years ago

Ditto what Lisa said. We eat alot of salad, so I can make a dressing and use it for a few days. Three days and then I'd probably throw it out. Make sure it's well sealed. I use a glass container for salad dressing. As someone mentioned above, a jar is ideal.

Funkyart thanked tinam61
  • lilacinjust
    7 years ago

Bottled favorites currently include any of Wegman's yogurt dressings. Delicious!

Funkyart thanked lilacinjust
  • CindyMac
    7 years ago

I used to make a hot pepper jelly vinaigrette with less jelly and more oil. Guess I should start making it again since dh always orders it at a certain restaurant.

Hot Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette

1 tablespoon hot pepper jelly

2 tablespoons white balsamic or cane vinegar

4-6 tablespoons olive oil

Salt

Combine all and mix well.

Funkyart thanked CindyMac
  • lilacinjust
    7 years ago

Thanks, Cindy. DH would love that!

Funkyart thanked lilacinjust
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Funky,

You can use any preserve in that first dressing, as a variation.

I don't think the red pepper jelly is terribly sweet; and I suppose one could easily adjust it if they did.

I am a fanatic about how a salad is dressed --- 90% of the time I feel they are overdressed. If you dress very lightly and toss, to me the dressing is rarely too sweet because the dressing doesn;t over power.

The only bottled dressing I buy is Ken's 1000 Island. My son likes it, and he knows how to make it from mayo, ketchup and relish, but TBH it tastes about the same. I do buy ranch packets, mainly to make dip.

Other than that, I make my own. It lasts fairly long and to me it tastes a zillion times better. I have tried all of the fancy bottled ones, and they just don't cut it for me.

As far as going bad ..I mean, the vinaigrette has vinegar ... a preservative. And the dairy based ones; you can usually smell if they have turned. I make half batches.

FWIW:The "shelf life" of salad dressings varies somewhat. Generally, vinaigrettes can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Dairy-based dressings, like buttermilk, and dressings made with fresh ingredients, like chopped onion, fresh herbs, tomato sauce and chopped hard-cooked egg, will keep up to 1 week.

• maddie260
    7 years ago

This is from a now closed restaurant in San Francisco; it was copied to a magazine years ago and it's a crowd pleaser. Great served over Romaine, walnuts, and grated Gouda:

Creamy Chive: 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, 2 tsps apple cider, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1-1/2 tsp salt (I use less!), 1-1/2 tsp black pepper, pinch cayenne, 1/4 -1/2 cup fresh chopped chives

Whisk until smooth all ingredients except chives. Stir in chives.

Funkyart thanked maddie260
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

I haven't read all the responses. I LOVE to eat salads. I HATE to make them. I also hate to make my own dressings, but love it when others do. I will make a nice dressing for any salad for guests, depending on the salad. For me, day to day, I like a creamy dressing, as in a Caesar, but loathe the calories they add.

My favorite for my at home salads is Trader Joe's Low Fat Parmesan Ranch dressing (refrigerated in the cold case). It's creamy, with not much flavor, but is only about 30 calories for 2 tbls. I use it and squirt fresh lemon juice over it and sometimes a bit of parmesan or blue cheese. Makes it taste like an acceptable Caesar dressing and it's so creamy and low cal. I love it.

Funkyart thanked Olychick
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

I LOVE to eat salads. I HATE to make them.- Olychick

Exactly, I seldom make salads because I really don't like making them, but I'll chop up a boatload of vegetables for a stir-fry or a vegetarian chili.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

When I use bottled, it's Ken's, Newman's Own or Trader Joe's. I used to like Marie's but something changed a few years ago and I find it flavorless now. I do like Marzetti's but when I buy salad dressing, it's usually for the pantry (as a backup).

I know there are a million recipes online-- but I like to hear what others are making. I am excited to try a number of these recipes-- hope others found some good recipes too!

Thank you!

• Arapaho-Rd
    7 years ago

My dressing is simple...growing up our salad was eaten at the end of the meal. Good olive oil was of importance, a little red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper. Simple. Today I vary the salad ingredients more than the dressing. Bleu cheese always adds great flavor.