SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
where_am_i

Engineered hardwood on stairs?

where_am_i
17 years ago

Last year I installed Mirage engineered hardwood on my main floor and I am now thinking how nice it would be to have the same flooring on my stairs going to my 2nd floor. Right now, the stairs are carpeted and are enclosed. I think that's the term anyway.

Would is be easier to removed the existing MDF treads and replace them with the same species of hardwood board (Maple) than to try and install the flooring over the existing? Is this how it is usually done? My problem is that I have several boxes of flooring left over that I could use. I would only need to get stair nosing.

If I installed the flooring over the top, will there be a problem with the height? The mirage product is 3/8" thick if I remember correctly. If I add the flooring on top of the existing treads, then the distance between the steps will still be the same, correct? Except perhaps the first and last step which will be 3/8" longer for the first and 3/8" shorter for the last.

Having never done steps before, I'm sure I am not seeing something that will make this not possible. So if anyone has any tips, please send them.

Comments (2)