SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
changeling_gw

Mashed potatos , is there another way?

changeling
16 years ago

First off, I have this thing for mashed potatoes and gravy, have since I was born!!! I just love great MP's, gravy and rice also!!

However, I have a problem with making them because I don't use milk regularly, and mine just suck anyway!

I have heard you can use caned milk such as "Carnation Evaporated milk" to substitute, with really great results but I don't know if this is really true!

If it is I would really appreciate someone who knows what they are doing give me a step by step. If this is not true just tell me please.

Comments (43)

• khandi
    16 years ago

I don't know about evaporated milk, but when using regular milk, it's best if the milk is hot. Put your butter and milk in a small saucepan and heat it up. Hot milk will make your mash potatoes fluffy instead of "pasty".

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Method is also important. Don't use a mixer to whip your mashed potatoes, you will create gluten which makes the texture glue-like rather than fluffy. We had a great thread on potato mashers a while back.

I have never used evaporated milk so I can't answer that. I loathe the taste of canned milk except when well disguised by pumpkin, sugar, and spices in a pumpkin pie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spud mashing.

• Related Discussions

Not Martha, need good mash potato recipe

Q

Comments (28)
    I'm old fashioned... OK and old. Mashed potatoes should be potatoes - mashed. I don't need the FAS (Fat American Syndrome) version of recipes where everything needs to have cheese and sugar on it to taste good. If you have good gravy (and it's unAmerican to not) then you don't even need the extra fat in the potatoes, since there's plenty of fat (and probably salt & pepper too) in the gravy. For potatoes by themselves, they can add a dab of butter and seasoning. Plain is often great by itself. Course good fries don't need ketchup either. The ones that have to FAS the taters could just as well use instants and save time. They're eating it for the cheese, sugar and other stuff, since apparently they don't like the taste of potatoes. I don't need FAS veggies, beverages, breads and the like either. Good food can stand on its own IMO. Pass the sugar bowl when old 300# Beulah needs her feet swelled up like soccer balls. But that's my opinion. A ricer is fine and a good tool for making lefse but mashed potatoes still need to be mashed with the zig-zag masher otherwise they resemble a big tater tot. I don't bother with it for mashed potatoes. Again, I want mashed potatoes, not riced potatoes, not beaten potatoes. If you're going to use a mixer to beat the taters to death and make them extra gummy, then serve boiled potatoes to me and I'll mash them with a fork! And for the people who think the mashed (riced, beat or instant) potatoes need to drip off the fork so they can say they're "creamy" UGH! Potatoes aren't supposed to drip. You make a well and fill it with gravy. We're not talking about potato soup. End of rant. The thing about starting potatoes in cold water as I understand is that the hot water sets almost a skin on the outside of the potato so the texture will be off. Can't prove it but I always found it easier to start cold and work up. I tried using hot tap water to start (to save energy) until I heard the thing to start cold. There might be something to it.
    ...See More

What do you put on your mashed potatoes?

Q

Comments (28)
    I use the water that the potatoes are boiled in instead of milk...a stick or two of Parkay Margarine and salt. My daughter loves it with sour cream added. DH likes alot of black pepper, so I sprinkle that(sometimes) on his individual servings... I like to experiment with food, and have added Cheez Whiz to the mashed potatoes...not bad.
    ...See More

Mash potatoes on top of beef stew, question

Q

Comments (8)
    I make stew in a large enameled cast iron dutch oven, so I can brown the beef first, then add everything else, slap on the lid and into the oven for a couple of hours. That way I don't worry about sticking and scorching on my stove top. My stew does contain potatoes, but they could easily be left out and added to the top instead. I seldom put cabbage in my stew, although I love cabbage, mine usually has pearl onions, potatoes, celery, carrots and sometimes mushrooms if I'm feeling "exotic". (grin) Grandma always made her stew the same way, then removed the lid and put biscuits on top of the stew and baked until the biscuits were done, or added dumplings to the stew itself. I think the mashed potatoes sound really good, excellent comfort food for the frozen tundra, which is how some of Elery's southern relatives refer to Northern Michigan, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

What kind of potatoes make the best mashed potatoes?

Q

Comments (25)
    This is an interesting discussion! Jim Mat, for mashed, our process thus far: we have been peeling, cutting into big chunks, boiling til tender, draining, drying off water, then adding the other ingredients which thus far have been butter, sour cream, milk, and crushed fresh garlic. My husband does the mashing (I have carpal tunnel).He is good and fast. No lumps. I don't have a ricer. Last year he asked 30 year old our son to do it. We kept sending him back to the stove because they were lumpy. Husband was supervising the adding of ingredients. But they turned out to be heavy, so there is something to the hand of who is doing the mashing. They will be a vehicle for the gravy, and we don’t want to mask the flavor of that, so we don’t add too much more to them. But they do need to have good flavor on their own. There's never enough gravy.
    ...See More
  • jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I always use a potato masher to make mashed. And you could try buttermilk if you like, it makes delicious mashed potatoes, and comes in a small carton . You could use the rest to make biscuits or scones! I usually add just enough milk or buttermilk to get the texture I like, then add a bit of butter for flavor. I like mine a bit lumpy so I don't mash out all the lumps.

• shaun
    16 years ago

You can use chicken broth instead of milk to make skinny mashed potatoes too.

• michaelmaxp
    16 years ago

Be sure to salt the water that you're cooking the potatoes in. Adding salt to potatoes at mash time doesn't quite taste the same. I salt the water and dip a finger in it and taste. It should have a mild but definite sea water saltiness. I know this wasn't your question but it is a common problem.
    You didn't mention why you don't use milk often. Unless you have a dietary, spititual, or "don't eat white stuff" aversion, you could simply make an exception to your rule and stop at the store for a pint of half and half. Yukon Golds make a nice mashed but a standard russet is always lovely as well and I find peeling large potatoes easier than peeling little ones. The waxier potatoes like reds work but lack a certain graininess that lend well to mashed potatoes as we've grown accustomed to.

-Cut potatoes into quarters (or more for large potatoes) but keep close to the same size for even cooking time.
    -Place into into the salted cold water.
    -Bring to a boil and than reduce to a steady simmer so you don't pulverize the spuds with a strong boil. Don't cover the pan or boil overs are common.
    -Cook until tender (a fork should go through with little to no resistance. Another common problem is over cooking to the point of waterey mushiness. Approx 15 to 20 minutes.
    About the last 5 minutes of cooking put the milk or preferably half and half into a small pan and heat up, carefull not to scorch- a microwave will work but don't use a pan ;-o
    -Pour tender potatoes into a strainer or colander to get rid of the majority of water (a little won't hurt).
    -I like to use a stand up mixer with the paddle but a hand masher is fine. You could use a ricer for really nice texture but that's a lot of hand strength work and takes a long time for large batches.
    -Mash a little and add hot milk or cream to desired creaminess- It always seems that I add a little more than I expected to need. Carefull not to over mix especially with electric utensils or threadlike creepy things appear.
    -I rarely add butter but many people do. If you do, add softened non-salt butter at the same time as the cream or just before to aid in the melting. Contiue to mix or mash until creamy smooth and serve as quickly as possible
    -That's the story. Of course there is any variation that suits you; add a little pepper or shredded cheese, etc.

I've made thousands and thousands of pounds of mashed potatoes in my days in the restaurant world, and at home, and this basic step by step works for me.

michaelp

• traceys
    16 years ago

Shaun bite your tongue!! Mashed potatoes are my favorite food. I could never do that to them;)

I don't want anything in my mashed potatoes but salt(cooked with the potatoes) butter and heavy cream. Make sure the butter is softened and cream is heated. You can get cream in half pints and it lasts longer than milk.

Tracey

• jessyf
    16 years ago

I frequently make mine dairy free so I just use the hot potato water instead of milk and season it with chicken boullion. I toss in stick margarine instead of butter.

Like the others say, use a potato ricer (your choice, lots of models) and I use a whisk to gently mix to maintain fluffy vs. gummy textures.

• trixietx
    16 years ago

If you don't care about calories use cream instead of milk. But I use 2% milk and quite a bit of butter, until the texture is right and use a potato masher. I also put in a big shake of Mrs. Dash seasoning and s&p.

DH likes mashed potatoes a little lumpy too.

• shaun
    16 years ago

OH I know Tracey! I don't do that to mine either but I thought OP wanted them without milk. Nothing like lots of butter, milk, salt & pepper in them. Now I want mashed taters.

• lindac
    16 years ago

In a milk free pinch....you could mash the spuds with chicken broth or some potato water....and add some chunks of cream cheese...room temperature and mashing it well.
    I have never done that with a chicken broth mashed potatoes...but sure have with skim milk.

And Change...you say you have a thing for great mashed potatoes....no way to get that without milk or cream....and canned milk doesn't cut it.
    You want great mashed potatoes...buy milk....or cream.
    Linda C

• Marigene
    16 years ago

I have made them with sour cream instead of milk, give them a little different taste. Love them with a little wasabi paste or roasted garlic, too.

• kframe19
    16 years ago

You won't create gluten if you overwhip your mashed potatos, but you will rupture tons and tons of starch crystals, which will create a nasty gluey mess.

I do my mashed potatoes in water that has several cloves of garlic smashed into it.

Then I use an electric mixer on LOW (think gentle!) and add butter, Neufchatel cream cheese, and half and half .

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

1. I use a whey-based milk substitute powder instead of milk or cream. I add Morning Moo's POWDER in mashed potatoes for extra fluffy potatoes. Completely different texture than traditional milk/butter.

2. Don't forget RICED potatoes for something a little different, if you like mashed.

3. My mother used evaporated milk in hers - especially if she had some leftover from another recipe and needed to use it up. I've posted the link to the recipe below using Carnation Evaporated Milk.

4. We also like to add a spice mixture called SPIKE to mashed potatoes.

5. I follow a recipe I found on the net for refrigerator mashed potatoes and freeze them in serving-size dollops. Nothing like having them ready-to-use.

REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER MASHED POTATOES

5# potatoes (I scrub them, but you can peel them if you like)
    Cook as usual. Drain. Mash, adding 6 oz. cream cheese and 1 cup sour cream (I use drained kefir), 1/4 c. butter. You can also add chives or SPIKE.

Quick freeze dollops (use an ice cream scoop) on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Transfer to a zip-lock bag or plastic container to keep them in the freezer. I vacuum seal them in a single layer in a FoodSaver bag.

6. A professional cook told me to mash the potatoes, then add the butter. After all the butter is incorporated, add the milk/cream. The fat-coated potatoes prevented the mashed potatoes from getting too wet by adding too much liquid.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick & Creamy Mashed Potatoes

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I sometimes I add buttermilk, if I have it on hand.
    Otherwise I stir in a big spoonful of sourcream.

Yes you can use evap milk, if you so choose..I think it gives it a "sweetness" though.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

You can freeze the cream or milk. It doesn't do for drinking, but for cooking it's fine...better than evap for sure. You can freeze small amounts in zip lock bags, pushing all the air out before sealing. Then, when you defrost it for use, shake the bag well to remix the milk or cream if it has separated. It may not remix all the way, but as I said, for cooking it's fine.

If you are the type that likes veggies combined with your mashed potatoes...try using creamed corn instead of milk.

• whiteorchid75
    16 years ago

Another vote for broth here, and I don't mind lumps either. Plenty of EarthBalance or SmartBalance "buttery spread" and pepper as well. Roasted garlic is nice, as is sundried tomatoes, depending on where you want to go with your potatoes. : D

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Like Terri, I use Sour Cream instead of milk. We like the tangy flavor it imparts (yogurt works in a pinch too) and like kframe I usually have a couple of smashed garlic cloves in the potatoes as they cook.

As a matter of fact, it is DH's birthday today and he requested Garlic Sour Cream Smashed Potatoes as part of his birthday dinner!

Alexa

• azzalea
    16 years ago

To answer your original question?

Evaporated milk makes GREAT mashed potatoes. My dad always used it, along with a little of the potato water--contrary to what experts will tell you, adding a little potato water makes mashed potatoes much better in texture, and more flavorful. Back to evaporated milk--all it is, is real milk, with half the water evaporated out of it. So using it in mashed potatoes is going to actually give you a slightly concentrated flavor--which isn't a bad thing. The only reason evaporated milk tastes funny to us for drinking, is that the sugars in it caramelize during the heating part of the canning process used to safeguard it from bacteria. But that's not generally a problem when evaporated milk is used in something that's going to be hot or cooked.

So go ahead, and use evaporated milk (just don't get confused and buy sweetened condensed--now THAT would be a kitchen disaster! LOL).

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

I do dairy-free mashed potatoes with olive oil, garlic and a bit of potato water.

What kind of potatoes are you using - that makes a difference in texture too. I like red potatoes with skins mashed, but it is a different texture than the more traditional russets for mashing.

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

Mash the dry, cooked potatoes in the pan with an old-fashioned wavy masher; use only an up-and-down motion. Do this until there are no more lumps of potato. Add butter. Then whip with a hand mixer; when smooth, add a little hot milk and whip some more. I stop short of real "whipped potatoes," because I don't like them thin and airy.
    I like my grandmother's method of using half plain milk, half evaporated, but DH prefers plain whole milk, so that's what I use.

• pkguy
    16 years ago

So from the looks of it there are a plethora of variations on a theme.
    I vary from time to time. Sometimes I use sour cream, sometimes I add crushed garlic, sometimes dill weed (my fave), sometimes dillweed and garlic. Pretty much always add butter and a little bit of milk. I only salt after they're drained before mashing. White table potatoes and/or russets I find are generally the best for mashing. Yukon Golds etc seem to be too glutenous. Actually I don't mash, I use a ricer but more often an electric mixer.

• khandi
    16 years ago

My two SILs will add a raw egg to the hot potatoes. The heat from the potatoes cooks the egg.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I always bake my potatoes...and we eat the skins the next day. Much easier than peeling to me. I do mash them in the KA mixer though and lots of hot milk and butter that has been heated together.

• Lars
    16 years ago

The only dairy I use in mine is butter, and I do add a bit of chicken bouillon, like Jessy. I often cook them with garlic, which gets mashed up with the potatoes. Actually, I seldom make mashed potatoes, but I have found that I like them a lot better when I use Yukon Gold potatoes - they have a richer flavor. I pretty much never buy russet potatoes, and I buy the young Yukon potatoes, which don't have to be peeled.

Lars

• whiteorchid75
    16 years ago

Sometimes I use soymilk in ours, too.

*ducks and runs out of thread*

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I just don't know what to say.

1. I use a zig-zag thing like my mom used so that part is handled, no help needed. Lumpy or smooth I love them either way.

2. I am not on or need a diet recipe.

3. I realize there are a lot of different recipes using milk, preferably whole milk with butter mashed in. Mine are not great, thanks for the recipes.

What I really needed to know was if "Carnation Evaporated Milk" can create really good mashed potatoes. I don't want to add anything but potatoes, butter, and the evaporated milk/or mixture.

Does anyone know if "Evaporated Milk" used straight or with some "water milk mixture" will make great mashed potatoes without any weird tastes ? In short, will it taste like good regular mashed potatoes?

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Someday someone will convince me that "real" mashed potatoes are better than doctored potatoes from the box.

*runs to hide behind Whiteorchid*

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Changeling..the only way to know if YOU like them with Evap milk is to do them that way.

Like I said..I find it to 'sweeten' up the potatoes.

I too am one that throws peeled garlic cloves into my potatoes at the cooking stage, and I used to toss in a boullion cube that complimented my dinner meat.
    I've used buttermilk, half n half, cream, 2% milk, 1% milk and always a few pats of cold butter. Sometime I stir in a bit of sour cream, sometimes I might even put in a few ounces of cream cheese.
    I don't heat my "dairy".

I think there is no set way. Do what you like, experiment..and learn.

I also have my zig zag smasher. It was my grandmothers. That's what I "smash" taters with.

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Up above Azzalea and Cloudy Christine both mention that mashed potatoes are good made with evaporated milk. Azzalea mentioned that her father uses part evaporated milk and part water from boiling the potatoes and Christine likes half milk and half evaporated milk. So I think you are safe to try it out. Since you don't like milk you can try the potato water, let us know how they come out.

Have you made your ham yet? Was the glaze OK for you?

Joanne
    (By the way, I should be hiding with Fenworth, I only make "real" mashed potatoes on occasion. My guys prefer potato buds! My favorite is Yukon Gold potatoes with buttermilk and a dab of butter.)

• dedtired
    16 years ago

This thread is reminding me of an old commercial. It went something lIke "The good cook mashes her potatoes (Shows woman struggling with potato masher); the great cook rices her potatoes (shows woman struggling with ricer); but the Smart cook uses Butter Buds (or some other brand of dehydrated potaoes) -- shows a happy smiling woman serving perfect mashed potatoes, without a hair out of place.

Does anyone else remember that? Folks under age 50 need not reply.

I guess I'm a great cook (not), because I use a ricer. I also heat the milk and butter before mixing them in. I never met a mashed potato I didn't like. I had mashed sweet potatoes and carrots at a restuarant last week and they were out of this world.

• whiteorchid75
    16 years ago

Hey Fenworth, back here! *motions behind the potted plants*

LOL

I've never used evaporated milk in mashed potatoes, but I'd say it's worth a try. Let us know how it goes, though.

*ducks back behind the plants*

• shaun
    16 years ago

Hey Changeling, why don't you try it and report back to us?

• arlinek
    16 years ago

NO ONE loves mashed pot. more than me, other than my guests who always want to know what I "do" to make them so good. I've been making them for a lot longer than I care to remember and without any probs, once I realized one little secret. I used to end up with "gluey" potatoes about 1/3 of the time. Realized it's from all the starch inherent in the brown potato. So, after peeling and cutting them into large chunks and covering them with cold water, swish the pan a couple of times and DUMP out the water and along with it will be that whitish, powdery starch. Rinse slightly again if you can still see that starch on the bottom of the pan. Then, refill the pan with water, add some salt and boil till fork easily enters the potatoe, but not over-cooking them. Drain the water, then add a lot of cold butter, mash up with mixer for 20-30 seconds and then just add plain, cold, whole milk (I NEVER bother to heat the milk or soften the real butter) and mash away with mixer at med/high speed to your desired texture. Add salt to taste, pepper if you like. I love the taste of evap. milk but would be a little concerned about using it for mashed as it DOES have a sweetened flavor from the carmelized sugars, but try once - what's the big deal? Or, just try it on a small portion of your boiled potatoes before you add it to the whole pot of potatoes and see if you approve of the taste. For variation, as also stated, adding a few whole cloves of garlic to cold water adds a nice taste.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

To your concern about not having milk on hand when needed for MP, I keep Parmalat Lil' Milk in the pantry. They are half pint boxes (like juice boxes) for those situations where I don't have milk in the refrigerator. I never know when DH will drink what I earmarked for a recipe. It has a long shelf life and tastes like real milk...so I've been told.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Parmalat does taste like real milk - because it is! It just has a long shelf life due to packaging. I, too, like to keep some in the pantry. In our house we drink 1% or 2% milk, so it's nice not to have to run out to the store whenever a recipe specifically calls for whole milk.

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago

I'm with Joanne on this one. We like Yukon Gold potatoes with salt, butter and buttermilk.

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Thanks for the validation Fenworth.

I also keep it as a back up for when my 3 yo DGS visits because it would be blasphemy not to have milk for him. He has never complained so I should have trusted his taste buds. After all, he did call out the restaurant waitress for "not real milk"; turns out it was low fat.

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"" * Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 08 at 19:32

To your concern about not having milk on hand when needed for MP, I keep Parmalat Lil' Milk in the pantry. They are half pint boxes (like juice boxes) for those situations where I don't have milk in the refrigerator. I never know when DH will drink what I earmarked for a recipe. It has a long shelf life and tastes like real milk...so I've been told.""

I "Don't" hate milk at all but I only buy it because of mashed potatoes and invariably some thing comes up and I end up throwing the milk out, which means every week practically at $3 to 3.50 per 1/2 gallon it just erks me, not to mention when I do need it, it's out of date (Murphy's Law) so it is never ending!
    mustangs, I will pick some of it up and give it a go.

Carnation- Last night I tried it! I made mashed potatoes using my zig-zag masher/ real butter (all I use anyway) and a pan full strength and another pan 1/2 strength (mixed with water).
    I used "arlinek's" method (thank you) except, used the zig-zag and no garlic. Potatoes were from Costco, big ones like you would use for baking.

The straight carnation was just plain awful, very overpowering! The half carnation, half water wasn't quite bad, but still terrible! They just didn't taste like mashed potatoes at all to me, sorry if it upsets you, it did me.
    Oh, someone mentioned those boxed mashed potatoes! I have tried them, several brands, they were about equal in my opinion to the carnation potatoes, awful.
    Please keep in mind I was raised on homemade mashed potatoes but unfortunately mom never showed me how to make them. So my taste buds might be different than yours.

Next I'm going to try those Parmalat Lil' Milk that Mustangs suggested as soon as I can find it.

• Terrapots
    16 years ago

Greatyou did your taste test, that's the only way to find out what YOU like. I'm late but I was going to add, I am one who LOATHES EVAP.MILK, DH loves it. I have used it on mashed potatoes, diluted with the hot potato water, lots of butter always no matter what cream, milk or evap, but I like to cook my potatoes with garlic. For me evap milk passes the test, but what's left of the potato taste after all the butter, etc. and gravy are added? I agree milk is getting too costly to just throw out if you don't use it but you do realize you can freeze "whole" milk? I would freeze it in paper or plastic cups, then bag them. May be a cheaper option than Parmalat. I try to stay away from foods that are meant not to spoil. (I'm too old a model that still works on old chemistry rules.) This way you will have just enough milk for your recipes. I don't think nonfat milk freezes too well but I've never tried that.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

terra, I was going to suggest freezing too..

• changeling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

terrapots No, I didn't know you could freeze milk (never thought of it), should I just use whole milk and how long will it freeze well. Can I freeze it in freezer bags ok?

mustangs, found the stuff you were talking about (Lil'milk) in a Food Lion grocery store (3 pack) but I haven't had time to try it out, it will probably be this weekend before I get a chance to try it.

If I'm able to freeze regular milk without some creepy taste coming in it will be great, I have plenty of freezer room.

• User
    16 years ago

I love mashed potatoes and it doesn't matter if I'm making them for just the two of us or for a crowd, I use a potato ricer. Then just add the cream or milk and butter and stir. Perfect mashed potatoes every time.

Ann

• wildchild
    16 years ago

I've always used evaporated milk in my mashed potatoes with real butter. I never cut up my potatoes when boiling them. Maybe in half when they are overly large but that's it.

I always use a potato masher and mash by hand. That way I can control the stiffness. Stiff for gravy and smoother if I'm just adding other seasonings to serve without gravy.

IMHO using a mixer is whipping potatoes and whipped potatoes are not the same thing.