SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Etiquette dilemma

Sueb20
13 years ago

I am anticipating a potential dilemma although it hasn't happened yet!

We're having a graduation party for DS in 3 weeks. It will be in our back yard, which is very small. Almost all of my friends have children under the age of 10. I had my kids much earlier than everyone I know! Because this is a party that is focused on an 18 year old, and because I have limited space, I did not invite my friends' children. (Also, it's at night, which is another reason not to have little kids included.) The only kids younger than high school age will be my other DS and DD. So I have about 12 couples that are invited as "Mr and Mrs" rather than "The Smith Family." I mentioned to most of them ahead of time that I wasn't inviting young kids because of the space constraints, etc. But still, I half expect at least one or two of them to have a babysitting crisis at the last minute. In fact, one friend, who is one of my best friends, has already told me she's having a hard time finding a sitter. Her daughters are friends with my DD (who is 9) so it would be fine to have them here, but my concern is that if they're here, then other friends are going to think, "How come their kids could come and mine couldn't?" Do you know what I mean? I also wonder if someone might not pay attention to the way the invitation was address and just show up with their kids! I don't expect that to happen, really, but my real issue is what to do about people who say they can't come because they can't get a sitter. I think I'd tend to say "Okay then, just bring the kids" but will that create hard feelings from the people who did get sitters? What would you do?

Comments (14)