SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbc557ci

Soap Stone vs Cast, and right size

bbc557ci
16 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum. 1st off Merry Christmas :o)

Now for my question/s.......... I live in hill country in central NY State and heat with LP. Prices for LP are thru the roof!! So I'm seriously considering putting a wood stove in. The stove would be in the living room so I want one that is asthetically (spelling?) pleasing. But of course I'm looking primarily for function.

I've looked at both the cast and soap stone stoves (Jotel and Hearthstone so far). I love the looks of the soap stone stoves and have read and been told, that overall they will out perform a cast stove. Are the soap stoves worth the extra cost ??

'nuther question .... I've been to two stove retailers so far. One place told me that what ever stove I buy, it needs to be correctly sized for my house, and I agree. But I also realize every situation is different.

House is a "salt box" design and has 2 bedrooms on the 2nd level. Total living area is about 1350 square feet. But considering that 1/2 the 1st level has a vaulted ceiling, I figure the overall SF would be equivelant to +,- 1575 SF. The guy selling Jotel's was suggesting model F400, which heats up to 1600 SF. The 2nd place, selling the soap stone stoves suggested the Meridian model, a much larger stove, capable of heating up to 2500 SF.

So, given the two places I've checked out so far, I've gotten two completely different opinions on proper sizing. My house is in wide open area subject to wind, with no real protection such as trees or other houses. Plus winter temps are any where from 35* down to below 0*. So considering the wind + cold, I'm thinking a stove a little on the large side, would be the better way to go.

Any suggestions and or input from wood stove guru's would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks - Bill

Comments (12)