SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbp59_gw

Hardwood Floor Install Nightmare

17 years ago

We just had 740 square feet of wide plank Coastal Collection Brazilian Cherry installed in our home this week. What was suppose to take 3 days has taken 6 and for the past 2 days, I've been telling the installer and the owner of the store there were spots all over the floor.

The owner insisted these spots would come out and left a cleaner to rub out the spots and 9 hours later the installer's wife had accomplished nothing. Nobody believed me until they tried it for themselves. The floor has a dull, spotty appearance that I have never before seen.

They tell me they used a new glue Ultrabond 980 that didn't get wiped up in time off the wood. It is beyond belief to me that they could let this happen, and they tell me it's never happened before.

The owner said they would make it right and after 2 hours he gave up today and called a guy with a machine to come in next week and take the floor and glue up to reinstall. He wants to use the same glue. I'm thinking that is not a good idea - as it is the floor looks totally unacceptable - and is very hard to believe.

The owner blames the installer for not wiping it up. The installer blames the glue. And I blame the owner for not checking on the job enough and listening to the customer - but the bottom line is the floor looks terrible. I can't find anything like this situation online. Another week of dust and dirt and no guarantee I won't have beautiful floors when all is said and done.

Should I insist that they not use the same glue? I know this floor/manufacturer has been installed in other homes as I've seen pictures and they had it laid down in the showroom. I don't get it. Could it be the wood? It's an extremely hard, thick hardwood.

What should I ask for to make this right besides total and complete reinstall, making them paint the shoe moulding this time around and insisting they hire a cleaning service when done? Thanks!

Comments (10)