SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Want to Learn How to Can!

lisazone6_ma
15 years ago

I did a search, but I think I'm even more confused now! Maybe I need to get a how-to book first?

I usually freeze everything because I've always been intimidated by canning - I'm so afraid I'm going to end up poisoning everyone!

I have a small veggie garden, but plan to just about quadruple the size this coming spring. I also plan to plant a dwarf apple tree, but that won't produce for a couple years, and I'm also going to plant blueberry and blackberry bushes. So I've decided I'd like to learn how to can in order to make some jam, make my own pickles, as well as can the tomatoes instead of freezing to save space. I'll probably still blanch and freeze any surplus vegetables I have like green beans, but the fruit, pickles and tomatoes I'd like to can.

I'm confused about "acid", pressure canning as opposed to a "hot water bath", etc. I assumed I could just get the jars and covers, put them on a rack in a pot and following recipes, get going. For jams, pickles and/or tomatoes, is the bath method the right one or do I need the pressure one? Why do you need a different method to can string beans as opposed to strawberry jam? I thought all you had to do was make sure the jars were sterile and "sealed"? See? This is why I'm afraid of poisoning everyone!

Thanks for any help!

Lisa

Comments (18)