SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanb_tx

Dilemma - what to do with brick entry way?

susanb_TX
16 years ago

I have a townhome I am trying to get ready to re-rent. I need to cut costs somewhere because I am having to make a lot of repairs, updates, etc. but I want something that resists stains, and generally holds up to tenant abuse. I have been advised that a tight weave Berber would be my best bet for the living room, stairs and bedrooms. And I was planning to use porcelain tile in the breakfast room, laundry, kitchen, bathrooms. I don't want to have to do this again in 2, 3 or 6 years. Am I making the right choices?

Now I have a bigger problem as well. This townhouse is about 30 years old. The entry way is red brick, and it butts up against the living room on one side (carpet). I was going to have it torn out and replaced with the tile but every carpet/tile place tells me that will cost me a lot to tear out the brick, depending on whether it is a full brick or half brick and what is under it. Since I don't know the answers to these questions (don't know if there is a way to tell, do you?), I just had a thought (strange as that may be)! I know they stain concrete and paint concrete. Could I do something like that right over the brick?? What would this entail? Its about a 6x6 area. Any experts out there? or "been there, done thats"? [Its not flat. You know, the grout lines (mortar) aren't level with the brick.]

Need some answers pretty quick. Have to get this thing on the market PDQ. Thanks.

Comment