SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clt2137

Hardwood floor installation- acceptable gaps

clt2137
12 years ago

I am custom building a new home and am in the process of having hardwood flooring installed.

The floor boarding is #1 Common Red Oak 3 1/4" with a planned Medium Brown Stain.

I have inspected the installation which is 80% complete and have noticed numerous gaps in the boards- large enough to fit a credit card into. The end cuts in a number of places are also uneven exposing additional gaps. In our great room I flagged 15-20 gaps before stopping to count.

We had planned 2 1/4" boards but my builder informed me his supplier had excess supply of the 3 1/4" if the same #1 quality for a cheaper price. My builder is someone I trust and have worked with on past remodels with our current home. I have no reason to question the integrity of my builder.

From reading other posts on this forum it looks like I have a bad installation. Repairing these gaps feels like a stretch given the number of gaps- reluctantly I feel like the floor should be pulled up and re-installed (Ideally with a new installer).

My question is what grounds do I have to demand this action (vs. allowing the easier "repair" - which feels sub-standard for a 5,000 sq ft house custom build). Is this on the Builder, installer or supplier (if the boards have milling issues)?

Any insight on my rights to make demands for a change are appreciated. FYI.. this construction is in North Carolina.

Thanks,

PJS

Comments (3)