SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Speaking of divorces

neetsiepie
14 years ago

My sister had just filed for divorce. She's in the midst of her mid-life crisis and has decided her husband is just not the hot, fun guy she married 20 years ago. Granted, their life together has not always been a bowl of cherries...their priorities in life were more about having a good time than preparing for a future. (I often think that my sister and I are like the ant & the grasshopper from the fable) And now the chips have come due.

My mother and I are both really disappointed in my sister, but have not let her know that. We are sure she's got a new boyfriend...she just won't come out and say it and we've been playing dumb, not pressing her for details about her 'friend' she refers to all the time. My Mom has never been a big fan of my BIL, but I've known him for 25 years...he was actually my Ex's best friend and he met my sister when my ex and I split up. I know that in this marriage break up, he was a contributor to at least half of the problem, but I don't hate him, and right now he's very angry, hurt and alone. I mentioned to my sister that I was not going to take sides...I know my nieces love their Dad as well as their Mom, and I know it's not good to talk smack about the other parent to the kids. My sister got very cool to me about that and is being something of a real snot to me.

My sister is most likely going to be moving in with this 'friend' in the next few months as she's losing her home, possibly her job, has no car, utilities cut off, etc. All this as a result of their irresponsible ways when married. I'm worried and hearing the alarm bells go off about my nieces...particularly the oldest one, who is 17 and about to graduate HS.

So does anyone have any advice for me & my mom? My sister lives over 1000 miles away from us, so we're not able to be there physically and help out. Thanks in advance wise women of GW.

Comments (5)