SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27243269

Eventual divorce - what to do in the interim?

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm a longtime lurker. I never created an account to post because I didn't have anything to add to the decor side. I'm in a situation now where my marriage will likely end in divorce and I'm seeking advice here. Believe me I know it's odd to be posting here of all places but those marriage and relationship forums are full of craziness that I can't handle now. I need people who aren't in the mix of this mess. So if you have a couple cents to add, I'd appreciate it. I like the advice shared here by a well-rounded group of people.

Here's what I'm asking... if you were aware that your marriage was not going to work out, but
you had to stick with it for a while longer, what did you do to get
through it? What do you wish you would have done differently?

Here's my gist... I've been married 17 years. He was my friend, we had the same goals and values and hopes and dreams. I married my best friend. Isn't that the going rate of advice? On the surface, we are perfect together. As happens over the years, we became involved in the routine of life. Kids, careers, and everything. Along the line somewhere we stopped focusing on us as a couple and lost touch. I stopped feeling appreciated and he stopped trying. This is a common story.

It seems we both realize we'll not be staying in this marriage after a certain point. We both agree that our children are priority and for financial reasons we will stay together so that they have their home and other considerations (college the main one). But once they don't need us financially in another 6-8 years I think my marriage is done.

As much as this hurts, I need to think about this from a practical point and how I will live and deal with life with this man in the near future and with my children here. Here's my gameplan for surviving this:

First, remain as friendly as possible with my husband. My children will not have a good example of a strong marriage out of this. I've come to grips with that. But they are teens not paying much attention to us anyway. I'd like to remain cordial with him so that we can still attend functions as a couple for the their sake, take family trips, be there for them when they need us, and so on.

Second, I cannot rely on friends for support as it's just not possible for my husband and me to admit to anyone our marriage is falling apart. Therefore I do need to seek some outside support. Suggestions? I am not sure how I feel about counseling and therapy because I have seen too many cases where it doesn't work out.

Third, financially, just try to be as responsible as possible, and continue to work on my career so that I can support myself post-divorce. My materials needs are much less than my husbands and I think he will have a harder time with a post-divorce situation.

Fourth, healthwise, try to do all that I know will keep me healthy since my health will be my foundation for getting through this. Right now, I have very good eating and exercise habits and I'm at a healthy weight. But I drink alcohol every evening for escape and comfort and I don't sleep well. These are 2 areas that must improve.

Fifth, I have suggested marriage counseling to him but it's always been in the middle of a disagreement. I don't have much faith in counseling as a whole for many reasons too much to get into. But if we are going to hang around for a while we may as well try, right? I'm not sure he's willing though because he never brings it up. He may very well be done trying to make this work.

If you're still reading and have ideas and experiences to share I would appreciate reading them.

Edited to shorten. My original was just too long to read. And this one still is. But I'm leaving it in case anyone wants to read.

Comments (128)