SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20012809

Today is National Pancake Day - 2/23/10

User
14 years ago

At least at IHOP,.

So, your mission tonight, is to put pancake syrup on one pancake, and real maple syrup on another and see which you like best and report back tomorrow.

Good luck.

Comments (33)

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Momj47:

Can I Post a Recipe, Even though I may have done it before?
    I already did the test. I like Karo Pancake Syrup.

You are ??? LOL
    LOU

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Of course, Lou, I didn't object on the other thread.

• Related Discussions

Need help! Sprouted seeds dying after 2-3 days

Q

Comments (9)
    Hey Ryan, When I grow trees from seed I don't usually have problems like these. Long ago when I started seeds in regular garden soil I had all kinds of damping off problems. Once I realized that seeds germinate better in soil-less mixes and have less chance of soil pathogens I gave up on garden soil. Since then I've had very few problems germinating seed. OK, we KNOW that contamination is not coming from the plastic seed trays since you washed and disinfected them between planting cycles. Your trays should be fine. Occasionally some seeds might have some tiny, invisible fungi on them that can quickly grow in a wet environment. As a precaution, you might want to consider a brief (5 or 10 minute) soaking in 50/50 mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide just before planting. This should kill fungi on the outside of the seed coats, just in case there is any. That would eliminate the possibility that the seed coats are infected. I guess at this point Id be tempted to toss away the MG soil you have and try something else. I usually start my seeds in a loose mix of fine pine bark and perlite with good results but there are many different seed starting soils on the market, including one by Schultz that I've heard good things about. I'll add a link. Hope this helps. TYG Here is a link that might be useful: Seedling soil
    ...See More

Is my goldfish pregnant or sick!!! it got HUGE in 2-3 days!

Q

Comments (7)
    Also... here are the levels in the tank.. I started the tank on 7/12. day 7 (7/18) - Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Hardness 75, Chlorine 0, Alkalinity 40, pH 6.8 day 11 (7/22) - Nitrate 0, Nitrite .05, Hardness 25, Chlorine 0, Alkalinity 80, pH 7.0 day 15 (7/26) - Nitrate 5, Nitrite 3.0, Hardness 50, Chlorine 0, Alkalinity 40, pH 7.0 day 15 (7/26) added the salt, tested again, - Nitrate 5, Nitrite 3.0, Hardness 75, Chlorine 0, Alkalinity 80, pH 7.0 day 18 (7/29) - Nitrate 15, Nitrite 10, Hardness 75, Chlorine 0, Alkalinity 60, pH 7.0 day 21 (8/01) same - Nitrate 15, Nitrite 10, Hardness 75, Chlorine 0, Alkalinity 60, pH 7.0 Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

National Cinnamon Bun/Sticky Bun Day

Q

Comments (3)
    Shhh!!! Don't tell! I have 2 pans of those rolls in the freezer, wrapped in foil, ready to be warmed until the sticky becomes melted and turned out onto a plate! Like gold in the bank!! Don't tell because I could be mugged for those rolls! Linda cC
    ...See More

Today is National Pet day !!

Q

Comments (43)
    What would a home be without a pet?? I can't imagine ever not having a cat in my life. Cats and boxes are automatic magnets. Any box, any size. I was taking computer paper out of this box, and as soon as she was able, Roxie got in it. The late Smudge loved boxes too, especially ones that were too small for him! And Bud clamored into this huge box
    ...See More
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

"Posted by hawk307 Momj47:
    Can I Post a Recipe, Even though I may have done it before?
    I already did the test. I like Karo Pancake Syrup.
    You are ??? LOL
    LOU"

LOLOU!

You have been trampled on so often, I think you must look like a pancake by now!

dcarch

• Lars
    14 years ago

I've done the test too, and the best syrup I've had is the grade B maple syrup from Michigan that Annie sent me. I had to settle for grade A when I bought more at the store, but I still prefer it to pancake syrup, but then I normally have it on French Toast instead of pancakes. Does that count? I prefer pancakes with no syrup, especially if they are cornmeal pancakes. Why are they putting salt in syrup?

Lars

• lindac
    14 years ago

"Pancake syrup" is artificial maple flavor and various amounts of things like high fructose corn syrup, thickeners and preservatives....
    To each his own, I guess....but you can keep my share of "pancake syrup" I'll take real maple, sorghum, honey or dark karo...in that order.
    And don't tell me that 66.33% of the people like "pancake syrup"...because I don't believe it.
    Maybe those who have never been exposed to anything else, or who don't want to spend for the good stuff....I'll take the real stuff, and I think most peopl;e would too....if cost were not an object!
    Linda C

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

We don't use any syrup on our pancakes. Of course, we're strange... we eat pancakes with peanut butter and banana! Wouldn't eat it any other ways. LOL

Al

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Real maple syrup is the preference here. I don't know anyone who doesn't prefer real maple syrup.

Lori

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

I have been finding Grade B maple at the health food store and at a good price relative to other stores' grade A.

I didn't realize there was a day for my favorite breakfast food. Thanks

• annie1992
    14 years ago

No test needed here either, I like grade B maple. When I was a kid Grandma made syrup with water and brown sugar, I didn't like it but now I will confess a weakness to pancakes simply sprinkled with brown sugar when I don't have maple syrup available.

Al, that's not so strange, Dad liked his pancakes with applesauce and Ashley likes hers with Nutella. In a pinch I've even been known to eat mine with homemade jam.

Annie

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

100% Pure Maple syrup for me. I buy it by the 1/2 gal.

I'll post the link to the best I've ever tasted (I am in no way connected to this company). Last year I bought 6 1/2 gal and will need to replenish when this years is ready. The grade B is to die for.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Currey Farms

• Rusty
    14 years ago

No test needed for me.
    I've never had Karo pancake syrup, have never seen it in the stores here.
    There is NO WAY I'll eat real maple syrup, or anything else maple, either, real or artificially flavored.
    I find it disgusting.
    The stuff makes me physically sick!

So count me on the corn syrup side.

That's why the Good Lord made us all different, to keep this ol' world interesting.

Rusty

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Oooo Annie, jam actually is my second choice if I am out of peanut butter. Homemade is always best! Al

• annie1992
    14 years ago

To each their own, Rusty. I love anything maple and make maple pear cobbler, maple oatmeal bread, maple scones, maple syrup shortbread cookies. Like Nancy, I buy it by the half gallon because I use so much in baking.

I use corn syrup for making divinity but nothing else. I don't eat "pancake syrup" for any reason, I feel just like you do about maple syrup, it's vile tasting to me, completely fake.

Grandma used to put the fat left in the pan from frying sausage on her pancakes, that just made me shudder, still does, although it's really no worse for you than butter is.

Nancy, Currey's grade B is "temporarily sold out". They'll probably restock as soon as this year's sugaring is done.

Al, the last batch of Beth's Grandpa's pancakes got eaten cold with Gina's cranberry grapefruit marmalade, very yummy.

Annie

• jonsgirl
    14 years ago

I butter my pancakes and then top them with brown sugar, I've always eaten them that way, I think my mom ran out of syrup once and we used brown sugar...my husband slathers peanut butter on his and then syrup. I like real maple syrup on my french toast but I do eat Mrs. Butterworths sometimes....maybe I should post that on the "What do you eat when no one is looking" thread...
    We have pancakes for dinner a couple times a month, I love them.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Momj47: Hi, are there any other National Holiday's, that we don't know ??? LOL!!!

And Hi yau'll
    I wasn't talking about "any" Pancake Syrup. I've tried all the others.
    I use only Karo Pancake Syrup now. Don't know if anyone else has tried it.
    Cost has no bearing. I just like the taste and the thicker texture.
    To each his own , I guess .... but you can keep my share of " Maple Syrup ".
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is my Recipe: A day late , Sorry !!!

LOUÂS
    Pancakes and Waffles Recipe

2 ½ cups milk ( IÂve been using powdered milk)
    2 eggs ( separated ) .
    1/3 cup of Veg. Oil
    2 tablespoon of Vanilla
    Pinch of salt
    ½ cup Sugar
    1 cup of Wheat Flour
    4 teaspoons Baking Powder
    All Purpose flour ?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I beat the egg whites first , so I donÂt have to clean the beaters.
    Beat the egg whites with a teaspoon of sugar, until peaked.
    Put aside until the batter is mixed
    - - - - - -
    Batter for Pancakes
    Put the first 6 ingredients ( except egg whites ) in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
    Put in the Wheat flour, Baking Powder. and some All Purpose flour.
    Beat until smooth. Add enough AP flour to thicken slightly,
    (were it leaves ripples while mixing ) not thin and loose.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Add ½ the egg whites, at a time , to the batter and fold in easy.
    - - - - -
    For Waffles:
    mix in more flour, to where you have to move it around with a spoon,
    when it is put on the Waffle Baker.
    Then do the egg white thing as in the pancake batter.
    When baked I cool them fast on a rack and put them in a plastic bag,, separated
    and right in the freezer.
    If you overcook a little, dampen slightly with water,
    before you put them in the toaster oven.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like my syrup 50% real maple, 50% Log Cabin. Real maple syrup is pretty strong stuff!

As far as more food holidays - see for yourself - there are certainly plenty of them. Some of the foods don't really deserve their own day, but some of the days remind me of foods I like but have sort of forgotten about. A nice little tweak to make some old favorites.

Happy eating

Here is a link that might be useful: Food holidays

• caliloo
    14 years ago

ROFL Momj!

My boys are holding out to celebrate National Cheese Doodle Day on March 5!

Thanks for sharing

Alexa

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like spring has come early to Maine - they are already making syrup. What a wonderful way to end winter.

LOL. It's a fun list, and we can always find something worth celebrating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making syrup

• woodie
    14 years ago

I'm much more a savory person that a sweet person and I just put some butter on my pancakes (which are something I really am only interested in having about once a year or so). I do enjoy thin crepes for breakfast sometimes, and use butter and a squeeze of lemon and when I'm at IHOP and I forget to say "hold it", they put some powdered sugar over and that okay with me.

Our family is very diverse - we have pancake syrup people and maple syrup people and me, salt and pepper and/or lemon mostly. Equal Opportunity Pancakers.

• triciae
    14 years ago

I grew up on Log Cabin & it tasted fine. I continued using it for my family until we moved to New England. Here, there's something just 'wrong' about using anything except pure maple syrup. Maple syrup is produced throughout New England (not sure about RI?). I've used ME, NH, VT, & CT. All are good & like everybody else we prefer Grade B. Even here though it's expensive.

I only use dark Karo for my chocolate-pecan pie so a bottle lasts several years. I make one pie/year at the holidays. Didn't even know Karo made a pancake syrup.

When I was a kid my absolute favorite was boysenberry pancake syrup from Knott's Berry Farm. It's not available here & I've got no idea of the ingredients but it sure was good.

/tricia

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Does anyone have a T & T Buckwheat Pancakes recipe? I remember my grandmother making these for me when I was a wee one & would love to find a great recipe for them.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

I'll take a heaping portion of cookingrvc's (Sue) lemon ricotta pancakes.

Real maple syrup for us - I grew up with real everything, my mom was ahead of the curve on all the artificial, partially hydrogenated, calcium proprionate added etc. stuff. We didn't buy Jif, just Laura Scudders. No Wonder bread - we got only Orowheat whole grains loafs. And nothing with tropical oils, but I know that has changed. I would have to do a taste test to see if I really could care about fake vs real; for me the issue is whats in it, so I'll pass on the impostors.

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

Real for me. I always buy Grade B, but only because "they" say it's better. I've never noticed a difference in price as compared to Grade A, just in availability. I assume I'd notice a taste difference if I tried them side by side but I've never done that.

My wife won't touch the stuff, says it makes her shakey. We've got Aunt Jemima for her and that's what my daughter eats as well.

Honey for my son.

• jojoco
    14 years ago

I prefer the real stuff, but I think my kids like the fake better. They think real maple syrup is too thin. I've never had caro pancake syrup, but I bet my kids would love it.

Jo

• cookie8
    14 years ago

My family likes maple syrup. I'm not a sugar girl so I go for the pancake syrup and even worse the light brand which is even more watered down and I use it sparingly. We eat pancakes a lot here. All different recipes and even in different forms. I have to say pictures of pancakes make me feel like the meanest mom around as I don't let the kids pool it at the bottom of their plates - sort of like sugar policing, I guess.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Woodie, that's how I eat French Toast, with just butter, salt and pepper. The maple syrup is better for my arteries than the butter is though.

Elery detests regular pancakes and waffles and won't eat them under any circumstances, but he will eat the whole grain ones I make occasionally. He's also hypoglycemic so he doesn't use syrup or honey. He will eat my homemade sugar free jam about once a year.

And all this pancake talk reminds me that I still need to make blueberry syrup with some of those blueberries I picked last year and that are still in the freezer. I also like homemade peach syrup and homemade raspberry syrup.

Amanda would prefer fresh strawberries, sliced and sugared, or home canned apple pie filling.

Annie

• arabellamiller
    14 years ago

Oh Jessy - I LOVE those lemon ricotta pancakes! But no one else here does, so I have to eat them all myself. The sacrifices I make for my family. :)

AM

• User
    14 years ago

Annie, Like both you and Woodie, that is the way I eat French Toast too. Lots of butter, salt and pepper. Matt and Moe both like theirs with real maple syrup.

Even though I make pancakes for Moe, I very seldom eat them. I prefer savory over sweet. But when I do eat pancakes I want real maple syrup. I don't like artificial maple flavouring. Same goes for artificial vanilla.

Ann

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Waffles or crepes, please. I'm not fond of pancakes. ;)

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I find it odd that today, a week after Shrove Tuesday, is Pancake day. We're in Lent, right? All those eggs and all that butter should have been used up last week!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shrove Tuesday wiki

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I do prefer real maple syrup but that stuff is costlier than gold almost. 8 oz jar costs around $6+. I just can't do that. So Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin or whatever'll have to do.

I put cheddar cheese in my pancakes. Learned it from my mom. Pour the batter into the pan, put in some bits o' cheese, flip when ready. The cheese sort of melts into the batter. Top with syrup for that sweet/salty combo. It's weird but it's good.

I didn't make any pancakes yesterday, so I guess I blew that but I DID eat some tortilla chips today so Happy Tortilla Chip Day! Great link momj47.

• robin_DC
    14 years ago

Maple and 'pancake syrup' just seem to be two very different tastes. I prefer pure maple too; had it for the first time as a teenager when the cracker barrel restaurants were new to my area, and I've loved it ever since. It's also more potent, so I use less of it per pancake. At restaurants I'll eat 'pancake syrup' instead of pure maple if that's the only option, and I like ihop syrup better than the grocery store syrups. But I haven't tried many of the brands of pancake syrup, and only buy pure maple. I recently realized that my inlaws prefer eggo pancake syrup, so the next time that they visit I will buy a small container for them.

But lately, I've been avoiding syrup altogether (cutting back on sugar, per the 'on a diet' thread), and have developed a taste for pancakes topped with cooked fruit--apples (like a pie filling), berries, or cherries.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

May, try googling Cook's Sugar Bush, Niles, Michigan. 64 ounces of grade B maple syrup is $23 plus shipping.

Annie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH