SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maslow_gw

Is my goldfish pregnant or sick!!! it got HUGE in 2-3 days!

maslow
15 years ago

I have had my 2 goldfish and 2 snails for 24 days, they are in a 10 gallon tank. I plan to get a bigger tank soon. The fish were both the exact same size when i bought them. They are fancy lionhead goldfish i believe. Just within the last 2-3 days one of them has gotten huge. Someone please explain whats going on? Is it pregnant? I bought them from a small local family owned pet store. I have a 10gal whisper filter that hangs on the inside of the tank, a live plant, a florescent light, and an air pump hooked to a long aerator. I feed them once a day as much as they eat in 2-3 minutes. Sometimes I give them a deshelled cooked pea instead. I change 15% of the water each day with same temperature dechlorinated tap water that sits out overnight. The tank is cycling so i try to keep the amonia/nitrite levels down, the tank is only 10 gal and they are 2-3" goldfish so I figure it gets pretty dirty in there. About a week ago I added 1 tea per gallon of non-iodized, (no yellow soda), salt because the nitrite levels rose from 0 to 10 in 4-5 days. (i think it is part of the tank cycle which should be almost finished). Then I added 1.5 tea of salt everyday to the new 1.5gal water change. I just stopped putting in salt to the new water changes today and will continue to do water changes but not add salt. The tank is close to cycled I think and when the levels get to 0 i will start changing 15% water 2x a week instead. Let me know whats going on with one of my fish please!! And any tips to keep a good aquarium would be helpful too. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! heres a few pictures of the fish right now.....http://www.eburg.com/~anchor/ebay/fish.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:378438}}

Comments (7)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals