SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmars_gw

sick lethargic goldfish

mrmars
15 years ago

We have a 7 year old 175 gallon pond in Minnesota. Never have had a big problem with it. Lots of good plant growth, waterfall and spitter. Some of the fish are there since the first year, lots of spawning and babies show up every year.

We overwintered 15-16 fish successfully again. We gave away 5 younger ones last month and got two new ones from a reputable fish store.

On 7/9 fish stopped eating, and acting very lethargic. Foam at waterfall. On 7/11 I did some reading here, and did a 1/4 water change, with extra amquel.

On Saturday 7/12, I bought new test kits. Mine had gotten really old and I stopped using them since we had had no problems. I PH was 7 and ammonia 0. I did another 1/4 water change. later that day 2 of the oldest biggest fish were dead, and a few of this year's babies also were dead. Rest still acting lethargic and not acting hungry. I went back to store and got Tetrapond pond treatment at their recommendaton it might be parasites. Treated pond. Sunday was another 1/4 water change. No more deaths, but nothing seems to be improving either.

two side notes: We had not had much rain, but had heavy downpours 3x last week. We are also having really smelly water right now from the fine city of Minneapolis. The paper reports the water department is adding chemicals to try and improve taste and kill the algae causing the smell/taste. I had put about 20 gallons of tap water (with amquel) in to top off the pond on 7/6.

Questions: What else should I try or do?

How long will it take fish to perk back up if it was either water quality issue or parasites?

Other recommendations? tests? We are so sad to see the fish this way.

Comments (16)