SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
icutup

newbie goldfish owner 'won' goldfish at fair & life is not good

ICutUp
15 years ago

Hi. I searched your forums 1st, but did not see exactly what I needed (hand holding), so I am bugging you now. We have 4 goldfish (from a fair on March 13)in a 5 gallon Eclipse corner tank from Petsmart with a filter, light, distilled water and 3 plants. One fish was lying on the bottom after 1 day in the tank so we took him out and put him in a bowl with his own water from the tank and gave him a mushed up pea and some salt (table salt, no iodine). I brought a water sample from the tank to PetSmart. They said it was fine and to try adding 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt to the tank. We did and we put the other fish back in several hours later b/c he seemed better and he could not stay in the small dish he was in. Well, he immediately sat on the bottom and the others sat with him. Before we added the sick fish back, we noticed that one fish was racing around (he has one small black spot on his head, but could that be his coloration?) and one was up near the top. Right now, as of 6:28 pm on 3/15, 3 are swimming, but one is up at the top. This is a brand new tank. The fish came in bags and were set in their bags in the tank before adding them but there was not time to cycle the tank. We did not want to leave the fish in their bags for more than 24 hrs. We won them Fri night and put them in their tank Sat. A.M. Today (Sunday) we have problems. The tank has a carbon filter (Eclipse). Any suggestions? Sorry so long. Thank you.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor