SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ng622

engineered hardwood advice--NJ installer??

ng622
17 years ago

Hi all:

As can be seen from some of my other posts, I am in the midst of a renovation in my house and am completely overwhelmed with the process and choices out there. Our latest area of confusion involves choosing flooring. The area will include about 1000 square feet and include a kitchen and some high traffic areas. Given my limited research, we have decided on a pre-finished hardwood as our best choice. You guys have been a great resource so far, so I am going to dip into the well again for some help.

The question now becomes what and from whom. We are having difficulty evaluating the different grades that various manufacturers offer. Many manufacturers make a lower quality product, obviously at a cheaper price, which is sold at many of the big-sign stores. I have been looking at various internet sites selling various manufacturer products and am overwhelmed with what I am looking at. I would like to keep the material costs to about $5/sq. ft. (is this a reasonable estimate to get a quality product?) We are likely looking at a maple or oak floor, although some of the exotics look pretty cool (the tigerwood from BR111 looks amazing) Does anyone have any advice in terms of what I should be looking for in terms of specifications, etc.?

Also, while I realize this is a possible DIY project, given my work and family commitments, I will not have the time to do it myself, as much as I would like to. Can anyone estimate what the installation costs might run? Will it be done on a square foot basis or a time basis? I realize cost is very dependent on geography, so here are my specs.--central NJ area (Westfield, Scotch Plains, Berkely Heights)

Lastly, can anyone recommend an installer in my area.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comments (4)