SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quilly_gw

Help!! What costs do the parents of the groom pay?

quilly
12 years ago

My son is getting married and I'm beginning to suspect that the bride's parents might reduce the amount that they initially told their daughter they would pay for the wedding.

I do know there can be regional variations in how this is handled (the wedding will be in Pittsburgh) but in any case it would be helpful to hear what you think the parents of the groom should be expected to cover. My son is coming over and I think he's going to ask us to increase our contribution.

Perhaps we're not getting the full story so we also want to make sure that my son and his fiance haven't gone overboard in their planning. We are fully prepared to help them out with additional funds but neither my DH nor I are willing to bankroll an 'extravagant' event. Our guest list is small - not even 1/5 of the total proposed guest list and my son mentioned that their list is close to 200 including numerous children.

I know that the rehearsal dinner is completely ours along with misc. corsages, licenses, officiant's fees but when I check different web sites I find a wide range of additional responsibilities - including the band and alcohol at the reception which was a surprise to me.

Please help because I really don't want this to be an unpleasant experience.

Thanks

Comments (46)