SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spacific_gw

How to acknowledge recipe ownership

spacific
16 years ago

On another thread there's lots of discussion about copywrite rules, laws, ethics, standard practice, etc.

Readinglady noted: "Some disciplines are very careful to acknowledge sources. For example, an origami designer might note the original source of a design, then credit the leg to a different designer, the fold of an arm to another. Personally, I think it's a good practice."

That is all well and good, especially in the day when Japan was a very closed society and the world of origami designers was a very specialized group within that society. Perhaps that world is still very contained, allowing an ability to continue to trace to an original source.

But let's all think to our own experiences beyond recipes. Think of an online joke. How long does it take for a good joke to circulate on the net? I sometimes get the same joke from 5 or 6 different sources in my email box within an hour (and often from people in different parts of the world, in different walks of life completely)! How in the world can you trace or acknowledge the original source?

I often post recipes from cookbooks. I usually modify them and state how I modify. I also tend to rewrite the instructions to describe how I did it, in my own words (sometimes because I don't feel like typing all the text, and sometimes because I do it a bit differently than the "original" recipe). But there is a point as to what's practical. If the recipe I use credits "adapted from", I don't add all that wording, my fingers would start cramping!

Anyway, food for thought...

Ann

Comments (18)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!