SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie2094

Sunday Gravy?

maggie2094
15 years ago

I am going to get started browning the meat now - I have "a hunk of pork" (loin), meatballs to be made, Sweet and Hot Italian Sausage. No Braciolle today. This will feed us for a week plus some for the freezer - lol! I haven't made this in ages! I am winging it but would love to hear what you do. I am sort of doing the following with some changes:

• Only in New York would we call this gravy:

Sunday Gravy (Raos)

1 pound piece lean beef, such as eye of round

1 pound piece lean pork, such as loin

1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausages

cup fine-quality olive oil

4 garlic cloves, peeled

3 tablespoons tomato paste

¼ cup water

3 35-ounce cans imported Italian plum tomatoes, hand-crushed, reserving the juice

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 recipe Beef Braciola (double click Braciola)

1 recipe Anna & FrankieÂs Meatballs, optional

1. With a paper towel, pat the meat dry.

2. Heat oil in a large saucepan or deep, heavy-bottomed casserole over medium heat. Add garlic and toos to coat.

3. Cook meat, a few pieces at a time, in the oil for about 5 minutes, turning frequently, until nicely browned on all sides. As meat is browned, remove from pan and set aside. When garlic cloves begin to brown, remove and discard them.

4. Combine tomato paste and water and stir into the oil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and the juice, raise heat, and bring to a boil. Using one of the tomato cans, measure 2 cans of cold water and add to the pan. Return to a boil.

5. Return beef and pork to the sauce and add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes.

6. Lower heat and partially cover the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about two hours or until meat is almost falling apart and sauce is thick. If sauce becomes too thick, add water, a quarter cup at a time.

7. One hour before sauce is ready, add Beef Braciola and sausage.

8. If using, add the meatballs at the same time.

9. Remove meat from the sauce. Serve sauce over pasta, then meat as a separate course.

Yield: Makes 3 quarts.

Anna & Frankie's RaoÂs Meatballs

1 pound ground lean beef

½ pound ground veal

½ pound ground pork

2 large eggs

1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese

1 ½ tablespoons chopped Italian parsley

½ small garlic clove, peeled and minced, optional

2 cups bread crumbs (see below+)

2 cups lukewarm water

Salt (preferably Kosher or Sea Salt) and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 cup fine-quality olive oil

1. Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add eggs, cheese, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Using your hands, blend ingredients together. Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add water, 1 cup at a time, until the mixture is quite moist.
  2. Shape meat mixture into balls (we usually make large, 2 ½- to 3-inch balls).
  3. Heat oil in a large sauté pan. When oil is very hot but not smoking, fry meatballs in batches. When bottom half of meatball is very brown and slightly crisp turn and cook top half. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.*
  4. Lower cooked meatballs into simmering Marinara Sauce (see Salsa Marinara Rao's) or Sunday Gravy (see Rao's Sunday Gravy) and cook for 15 minutes. Serve over pasta or on their own.

+Breadcrumbs: for Rao's style breadcrumbs, be sure to make your own. Using the highest quality Italian bread you can find, allow it to dry for at least two days. Then, grate, using a handheld grater or a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Shake and push the bread crumbs through a medium strainer to get an even texture.

Note: In place of breadcrumbs, you can use stale Italian bread, white part only, which has been lightly soaked in lukewarm water.

Comments (16)