SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nibblin

sauce, or gravy?

nibblin
14 years ago

I made a spaghetti sauce, or marinara today, and my husbands comment was: it's more of a gravy.

I kind of took offense. What's the difference? I'm from the south, but didn't grow up there. For some reason I don't like gravy, or even the idea of it, so when he said that, I bristled.

It cooked all day. Nothing special, just tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, herbs/spices, onions, and sausage.

You say tomato...

Is a sauce a sauce, or is it a gravy? Is it a 'soda' or a 'pop' for you?

Comments (66)

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

I think it's just a regional term; in some areas, the red sauce you put on pasta is called 'gravy'.

I think of gravy as a sauce made of pan juices from cooking meat, usually defatted a bit and then thickened with something.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

I make tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce; gravy is what we put on biscuits, pot roast or turkey and dressing. I'm southern and we call soda/pop "coke" or a "drink" as in a cold drink. If we are having iced tea, we are drinking "sweet tea."

• Related Discussions

How should I make this?

Q

Comments (7)
    This isn't sweet, but it has a creamy kind of sauce. Maybe you could add some preserves to the sauce in place of the tablespoon of mustard. I clipped the recipe from the Columbus Dispatch when I was home last month visiting my mother. I haven't made it yet, but it sounds really good and so do the other suggestions you've received so far!! I'm going to copy and paste this thread. Anyway - here's the recipe: PECAN-BREADED CHICKEN BREASTS WITH DIJON MUSTARD SAUCE Wednesday, March 23, 2011 "Each week we feature an oldie-but-goody recipe from this week 10 years ago." Makes 8 servings 8 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard 6 ounces pecans, finely ground (about 1 1/2 cups) 8 skinless boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 2/3 cup sour cream 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter. Whisk in 2 tablespoons mustard until blended. Scrape into a shallow dish. Place the pecans in another shallow dish. Dip the chicken in the butter mixture then dredge in pecans to coat. In a large frying pan, heat the remaining 2.tablespoons butter with oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook 3 minutes a side or until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a platter. Tent with foil to keep warm. Discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan. Reduce heat to low. Add the sour cream. Whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon mustard, salt and pepper. Blend well. Cook just until heated through; do not boil. Spoon sauce over chicken. ------------------------------------------------------- seagrass
    ...See More

Thickener for a clear gravy?

Q

Comments (11)
    A bit late to this party. I've used all of the above and never know why. : ) I just scratch me head when i need something thickened, take a bit of warmed liquid and do an experiment. Arrowroot might be my choice if you already have it. Just mix it in a bit of water and take a half cup warm stock and add slowly, stir, give it a minute. Go slow, and not the whole gravy. I used Agar last week for a chicken pot pie and it was perfect. I have the powder and some sheets. Seems to be my go-to and not much is needed. I've used it for dumplings. DH does the gravy for the turkey and i don't intrude. The classic flour rouge, brown and nutty. The stock i made last week is a chicken paw stock. Even better for dumplings and froze some for todays gravy. (quote)...Agar It is a flavorless gelling agent It is derived from Gracilaria, a bright red sea vegetable (seaweed) ItâÂÂs also known by its Japanese name Kanten or Agar Agar, the Malay term for the seaweed from which itâÂÂs produced It is available flaked, powdered, or in bars The flakes are traditionally produced by cooking and pressing the seaweed and then naturally freeze-drying the residue to form bars which are then powdered or flaked. It is rich in iodine and trace minerals, and has mildly laxative properties It is used as a growth medium for petri dishes to grow mold and bacteria It is used as a gelling agent in food preparation Here is a link that might be useful: what is agar?
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Chinese brown sauce

Q

Comments (1)
    Debby: Pretty easy... 3/4 cup light beef broth 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oyster sauce 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce 1/2 teaspoon sugar 1 tablespoon cornstarch Combine the above ingredients in order and bring to a boil, stirring. Makes about 1/3 cup. When I make anything with broccoli, though, I go a little heavier on the oyster sauce and much lighter on the soy. Joe
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Mandarin Chicken

Q

Comments (46)
    i have the recipe for Mandarin Chicken Cut chicken into thick 1" slices you have to steam the chicken and then dip it into a tempura batter and fry it the sauce is: 1 cup of tomatoes with juice- I use whole can 1/2 cup cider vinegar 1/2 cup chopped onion salt to taste 1/2 cup crushed pineapple a cup sugar 1 slice fresh ginger 1 Tbsp soy sauce Green pepper combine all ingredients except pepper and bring to a rolling boil let simmer 20 minutes and thicken to desired consistency with the cornstarch and water paste serve on a bed of shredded lettuce spoon sauce over the chicken i'm from Idaho and we used to love going to the Mandarin Palace and House of Louie and we always ordered this dish. this recipe is from the East Side Restaurant which was in Ontario Oregon - where we would drive from Boise for Chinese Food.
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    14 years ago

BTW - "Mainahs" call sweetened carbonated beverages "tonic" which always baffled me, even when I lived there. My parents drank gin & tonic a lot when I was growing up and after a single sip of "tonic water" there was absolutely no way I was going to call a perfectly good soda tonic! LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Never heard it called gravy until I came to this forum. Here it's sauce, or tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce. Very few Italians in my area. Gravy here is usually what you make from meat drippings and put over turkey, dressing, roast beef and pork, etc.

Neither Soda or Pop here. It's a Cola or a cold drink or sometimes a soft drink, or called by the specific drink you are about to buy, such as a Sprite or Dr. Pepper.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Same here, never heard it called gravy except on this forum. Sauce goes on spag, gravy goes on mashed taters as others have noted.

And yeah, it's called coke. As in:

Me: Hey, ya wanna coke?
    You: Yeah, what kindja have?
    Me: Dr. Pepper and Sprite.
    You: I'll take a DP, thanks!
    Me: Here y'are.

• User
    14 years ago

Italians here call tomato sauce , gravy but not just any tomato sauce. The one they call gravy is cooked all day with lots of meat; braciole, ribs, meatballs, chicken, pork etc.

The gravy that results is very dark not a bright red but a brown red. It's not like what I would call spaghetti sauce.

Here we call pop, pop...tea, tea and iced tea, iced tea! LOL

• nibblin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

To plllog and lindac:

I think he thought it was nice, just didn't say it. He did have 2 helpings.
    There were plenty of 'bits' in it: onions and meat, so it wasn't a texture thing. It wasn't too thin, or too thick.

I never heard him refer to a tomato sauce as a 'gravy' until his friend invited us to dinner months ago for pasta and gravy. When I heard the menu, I just thought 'yuck'! Gravy to me is something you serve at Thanksgiving with a turkey, so I was surprised-it was good.

I was surprised last night when he said that, b/c of my preconceived opinion of 'gravy'.

ps-I call sodas 'sodas', and where I live, I always have to specify 'unsweetened tea'...if a restaurant doesn't offer unsweetened-I'll have water instead.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Before I get into trouble with all the people who love gravy, I should clarify that using gravy as camouflage is specific to my mother's cooking and not to the region or gravy's purpose in general. She was probably the worst cook in our extended family, although she thought she was the best.

I don't call everything Pepsi, but I grew up hearing it that way (sometimes "Coke") I call it, "Do you have antyhing that is not a soda?" :)

• craftyrn
    14 years ago

We've always called it spaghetti sauce ( that's any tomato based)-- and to furture confuse the issue , gravy to me & mine is a thicken meat base concoction--- and "milk gravy" is a white sauce made with a roux of bacon grease or butter--but add cheese & it's cheese sauce, not cheese gravy !!

And it's about 1/2 & 1/2 around here-- pop or soda.
    And let's not forget-- is it lunchmeat, cold cuts or cold meat ?

• nibblin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cold cuts...or deli meat.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Another who was introduced to gravy as a red sauce on this forum. We call it spaghetti/tomatoe sauce. Like May mentioned "coke" is the popular phrase here too. Cold cuts or lunchmeat for my group. Then there is the stove/range thing. We have always called it a stove.

David

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, Diane, here it's lunch meat.

chase, here "pop" is any kind of carbonated soft drink, iced tea is iced tea, if you want sugar in it you have to ask, and if you want hot tea, you just order tea. I had no idea that tea would automatically come sweetened until I ordered iced tea in a restaurant in Georgia.

Annie

• hawk307
    14 years ago

nibblin:

Calico has it right. It was referred to as gravy ,because of the MEAT CONTENT in the recipe.
    What recipe ??? We throw everything in a pot and simmer it.
    Lou

• plllog
    14 years ago

Well, my mother always made the dark red-brown, tomato and meat, clean the fridge into it kind, taught by a friend from Italy who called it spaghetti sauce. Which was different from marinara (tomato with herbs; dark red and a very smooth texture) or pomodoro (fresh tomato (no paste), a bit lumpy, bright red not so cooked down).

• plllog
    14 years ago

Come to think of it, I think my area is more technical in what it calls things. A carbonated drink is a soda or soda-pop, rarely just "pop". A cold drink is anything refrigerated or iced (soda, iced tea or coffee, lemonade, juice, milk, water, fancy water, etc.). A coke is a Coke and a pepsi is a Pepsi and people will drink one but not the other according to their tastes. And know what's in the fountain at various restaurants. And people are given condiments for doctoring up their own tea to suit themselves. :D

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Cold cuts mostly but I've heard lunchmeat occasionally.

Stove. Although I often call it cooktop more recently. But stove is the common term, range is used but not as much.

Around here, you will seldom find presweetened tea being served in a restaurant. I have seen it but it's very rare. Mostly they serve it unsweetened with sugar, pink stuff and blue stuff on the table for you to sweeten your own if needed. I like my tea sweet but I don't like the presweetened stuff, it's always TOO sweet.

And if you want hot tea, better say so. Tea around here usually means iced tea. Even in Chinese and other Asian restaurants where hot tea is more common to the culture, if you just order "tea" they'll ask, do you want hot tea? We drink a LOT of the stuff on ice. LOL

OH! and one more thing. It's iceD tea. Not ice tea. It's amazing how many restaurant list it as ice tea on the menu.

• lori316
    14 years ago

Agree, it's "sauce" if it's something red that goes on your pasta.

It's "gravy" if it's red and has meat in it, simmering all day on the "stove" But, please remember, to be proper, it's not just "gravy". It's " a gravy"...as though it was one solid object, much like you would make "a" lasagna.

Example: "Yo, Vinny, Not for nothin' but I spent all day sundeee making a gravy for a lasagna" Badda-bing. (Showing my italian heritage)

The other gravy is the brown stuff you put on your turkey.

In the restaurant, you order a coke if you want either a coke or pepsi. The waitress will clarify with what they actually carry..."is Pepsi ok?"

"Pop" is something you do to a balloon or corn.
    ;)

• kframe19
    14 years ago

I grew up Pennsylvania German.

Gravy was made with meat drippings, usually what was on the bottom of the pan after you either pan fried something or roasted a turkey or chicken.

A sauce was made from fruits or vegetables. It might have meat added to it as an ingredient, like spaghetti sauce, but we would NEVER call it gravy.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Hm.... (from stove and lunch meat land) ... A lot of the Italian immigrants were pretty poor. So they would have been conserving meat, right? So I wonder if they used the pan drippings and bits as a base for the tomato sauce, and that's how it came to be "gravy"? You know, the stuff you make in the pan from the meat?

The Italian friend who called it "spaghetti sauce" came to the West coast on an airplane sometime after WWII, so missed the whole region where it's called gravy, but she made one heck of a spaghetti sauce!

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

We got married in NC. DH had never been there before flying out for the wedding. We picked him up at the airport and went stright to dinner. It never occurred to him that iced tea would come pre-sweetened. I thought his eyes were going to roll back in his head. I make sweet tea at home, but I don't put NEARLY the amount of sugar we used to use when I lived back there. I don't think I could drink it like that anymore. My dad used to refer to my sister's tea as syrup.

Diane - Lunch meat, except back when I had to talk to purveyors, then "deli meat" since that's how they classified it in their systems.

• bbstx
    14 years ago

lowspark, sweet tea too sweet? Order "half and half," and around here you'll get 1/2 sweet tea and 1/2 unsweet tea.

I grew up in the mid-south. In our house, spaghetti had "sauce" on it. After college, I moved to the deep south and heard spaghetti sauce referred to as "gravy" for the first time. My favorite recipe, which is from a junior auxiliary cookbook, refers to it as "tomato gravy."

Now, just to confuse things, one of the restaurants in town has "tomato gravy" on the breakfast menu. I could not imagine what it was (spaghetti sauce on biscuits?). The waiter brought me a little bit to taste. It was basically a white gravy with chunks of tomato in it. It was delish!

Also, "coke" is a generic term for "cold drinks" and we eat "lunchmeat." My momma stores them in her "icebox," and pays for them with money from her "pocketbook."

• jojoco
    14 years ago

I grew up in Ct and never have heard or seen any menu with the word "gravy" on it unless it was proceded by the word "meatloaf", "mashed potatoes" or "turkey". Seems a cultural thing, maybe particular to Italians. When I hear gravy on pasta, I think of huge Sunday lunch/dinners with lots of family and a great matriarch overfeeding everyone. Can you tell I am jealous?

Now, what do you all call a deli sandwich? I thought the entire world called them "wedges" until I left CT and heard the term "sub". Where I grew up, you can still find the term "wedge" on many menus.

• gemini40
    14 years ago

In New England it is always called "sauce" as far as I know.

• triciae
    14 years ago

Nope, here in Mystic we've got restaurants calling it "sauce" & others "Sunday gravy". Then, we've got other Italian restaurants that call everything "marinara" even if it's been simmered with meatballs & sausage. I've quit trying to figure it out since I really don't much like the "red" stuff anyway...especially those that have been simmered with meat all day. Where does the fat go from those meats? Don't like to think about it...

/tricia

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

We call it Gravy....but some call it sauce

• dedtired
    14 years ago

If it's red and made with tomatoes, its sauce. If it's brown and goes on meat or potatoes, its gravy.

I drink soda, not pop. If I want Coke, I ask for a Coke, except I usually ask for a Diet Coke. If I order Coke, the server might say, "We only have Pepsi, is that okay?" So, people around here distinguish between the different varieties of cola.

Iced tea comes unsweetened, always, and with a lemon wedge. I always am amused by the number and varieties of bottled iced tea.

I buy cold cuts or sometimes lunch meat. It's strange but I think of the kind of cold cuts that come pre-sliced in a container and usually kept with the bacon and hot dogs as "deli meat".

I think I use pocketbook, purse (that is a funny old-fashioned word!), and bag interchangeably.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Dedtired, mine is a "purse" too, although Grandma's was a "pocketbook". No one here ever says bag or handbag.

And, just to keep this food related, the meal in the middle of the day is dinner and the night meal is supper. It's a farmer thing, I think, the largest meal of the day is in the middle of the day, so it's dinner. Only at school is it "lunch"!

Annie

• craftyrn
    14 years ago

It's "purse" around here but Mom's generation it was "pocketbook"---occasionally I use to hear "handbag".

And meal in the evening is supper, meal arond noon is lunch , except if it's Sunday-- than the meal in middle of the day is always Dinner.

Iced tea here in most restaurants is unsweetened.

"deli" sandwiches around here are mostly "subs"-- tho occasionally heros or grinders.

And "homefries"-- that's always meant (to my family & alot of diner type restaurants in the area) cold boiled potatoes chunked up & fried-- used to be always in bacon grease tho that has changed in most places.

• skeip
    14 years ago

I grew up German Lutheran in Wisconsin. We didn't have tea, hot, sweet or otherwise because there was always a coffee pot on the "stove", good Lutherans always drank coffee.

Spagetti sauce growing up was made from catsup, and oregano was considered exotic. Gravy was meat based and served over mashed potatoes. We just got a new sub shop in town and they serve soda, but only Coke products. They also have a bubbler, not a drinking fountain, in the dining room if you just want a sip of water.

My mother still carries a purse, and she will sit on the davenport in the front room, even though it's on the side of the house.

My dad worked for Oscar Mayer for years, and he always took a lunchmeat sandwich in his dinner pail to eat midday.

It's a wonder we can communicate at all!!

Steve

• plllog
    14 years ago

So? When you're running out to get more pasta to go with your "gravy", do you wear tennis shoes (tennies)? Sneakers? Gym shoes? Plimsolls? Tackies? Gummies? Athletic shoes? Running shoes? Kicks? Trainers?

If I were so inclined, they'd be tennis shoes, or possibly sneakers. Never any of the others. And sometime in the last twenty years my purse turned into a bag, so I'll use either word. I wonder if it's the Spanish influence, since it's bag (bolsa) in Spanish?

If you don't feel like lacing up, do you wear flipflops? Zories? Go aheads? Thongs? Toe sandals? Crackers? Shower shoes?

I don't think we have a regional favorite. When I was little they were either zories or flipflops but flipflop people never said zories, and zori people never said flipflops. I stopped saying zories because enough other people did (when they were very out of style) that it stopped being well understood, so now they're thongs.

We have delis. The only "deli sandwiches" mean sandwiches bought at the deli. As opposed to supermarket sandwiches, or taco truck sandwiches. Whether it's a sub, hoagie, grinder, torpedo, torta, po' boy, or hero depends on who's selling it. We just call it a sandwich. People come here from all over the country so they bring their regional ideas with them.

Whatever you call them, they're served for lunch. Even if the noon meal is the biggest of the day it's called lunch. "Supper" is what hoity toity people serve when it's going to be at an impossible hour (e.g., after an event) and they want to serve a lighter meal than a proper dinner. (E.g., Champaigne reception at 6 p.m. followed by moonlit supper on the terrace.) (Gag)

I never hear anyone say "deli meat". The stuff you get sliced to order at the deli counter is lunch meat, or sliced meat.

(Okay. You got me. I love words.)

• hawk307
    14 years ago

I grew up in Philly and had relatives in NY , NJ and up to Boston.
    We all knew Gravy for Macaroni as a Tomato Sauce made with Meat and simmered for a while.

But we used it over Spaghetti and Linguine too. LOL !!!
    The Sculla Pasta was the Macoroni strainer.

Tricia:
    I take the fat off the top of the Gravy, when it cools.

All these terms seemed to evolve into others, thru the years.

" Ice a box " was a wooden upright chest,usually OAK, with a compartment for a block of ice.
    and others food.

The " Ice a man " came every day , thru the back alleys,
    delivering ice.
    Then came the refrigerator " refrig a tore " or
    " frige tude "( spelling )

The " Bac hause " was the Bath Room. Before that they were in the back yard so, it was " Back House "
    with a half moon on the door.

The Range was called the Gas Range or Stove or the Gas Stove.
    Before that was the Woodburning Cook Stove.

I think everyone is right in their own sense.

But I think Gravy is indicative to Philly, NJ. and NY. along with a few others.
    We didn't care what others called it. Everyone there knew what it was.
    - - - - - - - -
    An Italian American guy wouldn't be caught calling Soda,
    Pop or Soda Pop.

It was Soda, which meant Pepsi, Coke, Root Beer or other flavors.
    That's it I Quit. Going to ut my feet up.
    Here is a thing I saw on Google.
    Lou
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    United States
    A can of tomato purée
    Ingredients to make a simple marinara sauce.In most of the U.S., "tomato sauce" refers to a tomato purée with salt, herbs and small amounts of spices and often flavored with meat or seafood. It is sold in bottles and cans. This product is considered[weasel words] incomplete and not normally used as it is. Instead, it is used as a base for almost any food which needs a lot of tomato flavor, including versions of many of the sauces described on this page.

Marinara Sauce is an American-Italian term for a simple tomato sauce with herbsÂmostly parsley and basilÂbut, contrary to its name (which is Italian for coastal, seafaring) without anchovies, fish or seafood. In other countries marinara refers to a seafood and tomato sauce.

Some Italian Americans on the East Coast refer to tomato sauce as "gravy", "tomato gravy", or "Sunday gravy", especially sauces with a large quantity of meat simmered in them, similar to the Italian Neapolitan ragù. "Gravy" is an erroneous English translation from the Italian sugo which means juice, but can also mean sauce (as in sugo per pastasciutta). The expression for "gravy" in Italian is sugo dell'arrosto, which is literally "juice of a roast" and is specifically not tomato sauce.[8]

American supermarkets commonly carry a variety of prepared tomato sauces described as "spaghetti sauce" or "pasta sauce". Common variations include meat sauce, Marinara Sauce and sauces with mushrooms or sweet red peppers

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, cool! Thanks for finding the origin of "tomato gravy". (I love words)

BTW, I don't think those are weasel words: That's the canned tomato sauce that's used for cooking, but not that great used as is.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Pllog, I think that's funny, supper is hoity toity there. Here it's strictly an old farmer thing, "dinner" is the upscale version, for those who actually "dine" instead of just "eating supper".

Oh, and here it's a stove, and thongs are underwear. They used to be sandals that were worn on your feet, but now those have become flip-flops.

When I was a kid, I wore "tennis shoes" but my kids call then sneakers or "sneaks".

Annie

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

Long Island Italian here - we've always called it gravy when it's been simmering with meatballs, sausage, pork, etc for a few hours. A quick tomato sauce with no meat is 'sauce' in our vernacular.

Sue

• trixietx
    14 years ago

To me gravy is meat drippings, flour and milk and anything tomato based is sauce.

We eat lunch and supper and last year I got a new cook stove.

I love my tennis shoes and carry a purse. Thongs will always be sandals to me. I know I am the only person that still calls them thongs. A couple of years ago my DD wanted to know what to get DH for fathers day. I told her to get him some new thongs to wear to get in the hot tub because he was still wearing those awful
    tiddies from the 70's (remember them.) When he opened his gift it was 3 pair of men's "thongs" and a new swimsuit. Everyone laughed and I asked her later why she bought him string bikini underwear and she said because you said that is what he needed. It makes we wander what she thought tiddies were and why would she think HE would wear that kind of underwear!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Annie, I think the hoity toity thing probably comes from a roundabout source. Traditionally (in a gross generalization conflating centuries and regions), in England (as in the source of our language), dinner was the main meal for everybody. Farmers ate dinner between the daytime and evening chores, which would be 2-6 p.m. depending on season or custom, and supper was after evening chores. At court, dinner was a ritual when the king ate dinner in public in order to be seen by the lords at court. It was a long, drawn out ritual, so often commenced after the business of the day was done. The gentry in the countryside would emulate court behavior and have ritualized dinners even when it was just family, but would also entertain their local peers at dinners, so, again, the meal was pushed to 6 p.m. or later, so that they could do their daily business, then change, gather, socialize and drink, unlike the farmers who went back to work.

As more of a leisured class developed, a lot of the day was taken up with meals. by the 1700's, chocolate (hot drink, no milk) was served in bed, usually with something that we'd call a cookie. After dressing, or in dishabille, which was all the dressing except the exterior garments, breakfast would be taken. After morning doings there would be luncheon late morning to midday. Mid-afternoon was tea. Early evening, was the dinner at 6 p.m. country hours, 8 p.m. town hours. Later, before people went home (10 p.m.), there might be a light supper, especially at a ball or other party that went late into the night, or else evening tea at 9 p.m. there was evening tea.

I think this is where the hoity toits got the word "supper", since "dinner" around here is the main meal of the day and is traditionally at 6 p.m., though might be later (normally not after 8 p.m.) to accommodate people's schedules, or 5 p.m. for elderly, whether by preference or earlybird specials, and college students who are the mercy of meal plans and the work schedules of food service employees who want to go home. If you want to eat out late here, you go hot and trendy, Cuban, or Brazilian. Or Denny's or equivalent 24 hr. coffee shop.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Eat late? Nothing here in my little town is open past 9 pm and that includes Subway. The pizza place and the only restaurant here closes at 9 and although the bar serves food, the kitchen is closed at 9.

Well, the Wesco gas station is open all night, so you could get a Twinkie and a Diet Coke, I suppose, but that's neither dinner NOR supper. (grin)

Add that to the fact that I'm in White Cloud. My town just made it into this month's Family Circle magazine, as a place where 80% of the children qualify for low income school lunches. Sigh. Not much eating out here at any time anyway....

Annie

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

The differences ? Gravy vs. sauce?

Â You ride the gravy train

Â When you get the pay check, you pay all bills, and the rest is gravy!
    -----------------------------------
    Â Things are not going well; you hit the sauce to forget.

Â And the sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

dcarch

• plllog
    14 years ago

You people are a baaaaaddd influence on me. I was tired so just threw some lemon pepper at a chicken that needed cooking and stuck it in the oven on a vertical holder in a pan with leftover red wine in it. The chicken came out great, even though I'm still learning the new oven, and it almost got overcooked. But then there were these pretty drippings. I'm not a big maker of gravy, but this topic had me thinking of it. The drippings were too salty though, from the lemon pepper that fell off (which is part of the plan for the chicken itself), so I thinned it with the end of the wine and a little stock. But then it needed something so I added ketchup. The sweet, tomato-y Geffen stuff left from Passover.

YEP!!! Y'all, I made tomato gravy for dinner!!!

It actually tastes good though it looks and sounds obnoxious. The picture was an afterthought, so please forgive the lack of styling. ;)

• User
    14 years ago

LOL Pllog...........

In our hous lunch is at noon, and supper at 6 except on Sunday , then it's dinner and almost always involves a gravy!

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Around here, it was old school that had dinner and supper. And yes Annie, it was from a lot of the farmers. They ate huge breakfasts and dinner (lunch) was the largest meal of the day because they went to bed early when it got dark (no electricity).

Gravy was always either chicken gravy or redeye gravy (they didn't know spagetti). And there was always coffee with the old timers. And the big meals were always served with biscuits and always had a dessert. The kids got fake coffee of hot water, milk and sugar.

I feel extremely fortunate that I was born soon enough to witness a lot of the traditions of that old school even though by that time my grandparents had sold the farm and retired to the "city". My dad still tells some stories of that life that were wonderful.

Nowadays it's lunch and dinner, and hurry hurry hurry...

Beth

• lindac
    14 years ago

I grew up in New Jersey....we called it spaghetti sauce, b ut knew that Italians called it gravy.
    sometimes we ate "deli" if unexpected company arrived....and sometimes as a treat. Eating deli meant going down to the German deli and getting 1/2 pound of boiled ham, 1/4 pound of hard salami, 1/4 pound of head cheese and half a pound of balogna...Oh yes and some hard rolls and half a pound of sliced Swiss cheese....and a pint of potato salad and one of slaw.
    Packing a lunch for school you packed a salami sandwich or a balogna sandwich or maybe some olive loaf and Swiss or braunschweiger....not lunch meat.
    Then I moved to Iowa and was served "lunch meat?...WTF? I opened the sandwich and it was baloney. I discovered that lunch meat always is balogna...if Mid westerners want salami they ask for it...or braunschweiger.
    A stove is a stove, not a range...a cook top is not an appliance with an oven beneath...it's just a cook top.
    I used to carry a pocket book but that seems to have turned into a purse.
    Tennies are little white things with rubber soles. Sneaks are a little more...like Reebocks with serious soles and cushioning.
    I eat dinner, unless it's a "light supper" like before a show or even after an early show. A light noon meal on sunday is Sunday Brunch....while a heavier one is sunday Dinner.
    It used to be that the kid who works at the grocery is a bagger or a bag boy....while in the mid-west he's a sacker and he puts your stuff into a sack not a bag.
    Iced tea is never served sweetened and it used to be that unless you specified "black" your coffee came with cream.
    And "Rye" when asked for in a bar means a blended whisky like Seagrams 7.
    And why can't anyone outside of New jersey, New York and eastern Pa make a real honest to God hard roll? Soft inside, hard outside crumby and delicious?
    Anyone got a recipe?
    Linda C

• plllog
    14 years ago

Linda C, I just read something about how humidity affects rolls. If it's hot and humid out, the inside is softer and lighter and the crust is harder and crunchier. This was in an article about po' boys, and the difference in New Orleans bread. I know the same kind of rolls from similarly hot and humid parts of Mexico.

Try putting a ramekin of water in your oven while you're baking your rolls and see what happens.

• lisazone6_ma
    14 years ago

My family - Italian on both sides - here in Boston calls spaghetti sauce, gravy. The other stuff is beef gravy, turkey gravy or chicken gravy. Just "gravy" means tomato sauce. My family always put meat in theirs so I can't say whether it having meat made it gravy instead of sauce, but when we had gravy it was tomato sauce. My mother never even said macaroni (it didn't become "pasta" until it got "trendy" lol!!). When you asked her what was for supper, she'd say "gravy".

As a matter of fact, since it's going to rain this weekend and I can't garden, I'm going to make a batch of gravy and meatballs! :)

And I grew up drinking "tonic". My father's father called it "soda", but he was the only one. Everyone called it tonic. I noticed that my kids call it soda tho - I think the term "tonic" is starting to die out, even here in Boston.

We called subs, "spuckies" too. To this day, my mother calls a submarine sandwich a spuckie.

Lisa

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Dcarch:
    You were no help at all. LOL !!!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'll try to get the recipe for Italian Bread from a friend in Philly, who has a bakery.

The Bread is soft inside,( not too soft ) with a thick Crust, tender and crumbly.
    Lou
    Lou

• JoanM
    14 years ago

This sure was a funny thread to read.

I'm from NY but not Italian. Sauce was red and gravy was brown, but I have corrected that now that I discovered this forum. I now make proper Sunday Gravy.

Dinner and supper were interchangable. I wear sneakers and flip flops and I carry a pocket book. I keep my stuff in the glove box. The soda is kept in the ice box :-> We order cold cuts and a sub is called a hero. Is NY the only place on the planet that calls a sandwich a hero? I still order my coffee black, just in case.

I heard the same theory about the NY rolls. That it had to do with the way the climate effects the yeast. That is why you can only get a NY roll in NY and San Franciso bread in San Francisco, etc. It seems to make sense. People take their recipes to different states and never get the same results so there is probably something to it.

Funny thread.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

"Posted by plllog ----------- The picture was an afterthought, so please forgive the lack of styling. ;) "

I disagree.

I think the plating looks wonderful. The way you selected the design of the dish to match so perfectly the food cannot be accidental. I like the berries on the plate echoing the cherry tomatoes(?) and the leaves coordinating with the salad of your recipe.

dcarch

• hawk307
    14 years ago

P111og:
    I second Dcarch's dissagrement.

The only thing wrong with Picture is, it's a Picture.

And not the real thing in front of me.
    Lou

• plllog
    14 years ago

Y'all are too kind! Thanks, Dcarch (of the gorgeous platings), for the compliment. Unfortunately, I do have to confess that that plate was at the top of the stack of kitchen dishes.

Lou, I know how three dimensional models are faxed, which is pretty awesome, but I don't know how to e-mail flavors, or I would, gladly. :) Wouldn't that be amazing!

• lindac
    14 years ago

It's not always hot and humid in the Metropolitan NY area....and in the dead of summer and the dead of winter in unhumidified stores and houses the rolls are always similar....and I know of no baker ever who could make a real New Jersey hard roll at home. You know the ones...not those like a small loaf of bread nor a bollio but the one with the little indentations in the top....a Kaiser roll.
    I tried a few times...folded beaten egg white into my soft dough....but it didn't work!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaiser roll