SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedag

LOOKING for: Mandarin Chicken

friedag
17 years ago

The "Mandarin Chicken" recipe I'm looking for is NOT the chicken stir-fry with mandarin oranges.

Rather, it's a boneless chicken breast with a seasoned coating -- probably fried. After cooking, the breast is sliced into eight to ten pieces. The very hot chicken is then placed in its original shape onto a plate covered with very finely shredded lettuce. A very hot brown sauce or gravy with a slightly sweet taste is then ladled over both chicken and lettuce, causing the lettuce to wilt slightly.

Noting the sauce or gravy: Its consistency and color is very similar to that of brown chicken gravy, but there's something that gives it a sweet taste -- plum preserves or jelly have been suggested but I'm not sure that's it because the oriental plum sauces I've had are very different.

If it helps, this dish was called "Mandarin Chicken" at various Chinese restaurants in and around New Orleans, Slidell and Hammond, Louisiana in the 1980s and 1990s -- prepared and tasting pretty much the same way in all the establishments of that area. I have never run into a similarly-prepared dish anywhere else, though it may be well-enough known by a different name.

Does anyone recognize this to-die-for (in my opinion) dish and have a recipe for it?

Comments (46)