SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cruzmisl

Height difference between hardwood and marble floor-solutions?

cruzmisl
12 years ago

Hi All,

I recently had hardwood installed in my master bedroom. The marble bathroom floor was about 1/4" higher than the hardwood. The flooring installer thought it was too much so he put a strip of cardboard along the threshold then installed the wood over top. While this made the two flooring surfaces flush, it now squeaks like crazy in that area. I think the airspace caused the wood to flex and slowly loosened the staples. He's coming back to fix it but I'd like opinions on how to do it properly. Here is what I came up with in order of preference (but I'm not a flooring expert).

1. Keep the cardboard as a shim but use screws to secure the hardwood. This would require a pilot hole with a countersink. Its unlikely the screws would back out like the smooth staples.

2. pull out the marble threshold and replace it with a chamfered threshold. This poses a risk of cracking the marble tiles since the grout joints are 3. Use some type of adhesive with a notched trowel and the cardboard as a shim. This would take up the airspace but you're not supposed to glue down wood floors.

Any other ideas or thoughts appreciated.

J.

Comment (1)