SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imsoconfused

To slip or not to slip...that is the question! lol

imsoconfused
14 years ago

So...does anybody still wear slips anymore? I know it's not popular to wear pantyhose anymore, but what about slips or half slips? There don't seem to be too many in the stores lately.

I have some of those long,summery, but kinda thin skirts that I want to wear, but I just don't know whether to bother with slips or not. I know if I'm in the shade or there's no light behind me...=) then it's ok...but let a little light shine through and whoa nellie! People are probably seeing waaaaay more than they want to.

So, do you or don't you wear slips anymore?

Comments (42)

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Yes, I definitely wear half slips. I wear a lot of filmy/fluttery skirts in the warmer months and I don't want anyone seeing the outline of my body through them (especially at work!). The only time I don't bother with a slip is if I'm wearing a lightweight skirt on vacation at the beach.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

I virtually always wear slips with skirts/dresses, unless I'm wearing a thick casual fabric like denim, or the skirt is already adeqately lined. It prevents see-through with lighter fabrics, keeps the skirt from creeping up (especially if you DO wear hose, as I often do), and minimizes opportunities for the Dreaded Wedgie. I do agree they've gotten horribly hard to find - ten times so in plus sizes. I usually end up back with Old Reliable, the Penneys catalog.

• Related Discussions

Muskmelon Slipping Question :)

Q

Comments (4)
    Looks like a nice melon forming. It is still very green, probably has a couple weeks to go. The netting will develop a lighter color and the green background will also lighten from green to yellowish. If you have several melons on the vine, they will likely not all ripen at the same time, so you will be able to compare one against the other to tell when the color change is occurring. At that point, the stem will easily slip from the melon with a gentle tug. In addition, I find that I can smell the sweet aroma of a ripe cantaloupe when I am within a few feet of the ripe melon, but my main key is always the color change to show me the melons to look at, and the stem slipping easily is the deciding factor. If it doesn't slip, then it's not ready.
    ...See More

Compliment Slips Question

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Jules, I have made something similar for my husband to use with his ebay sales. Mine was business card size (2 x 3.5 inches) and had a "Thanks" graphic on one side and on the other I put 2 lines to fill in the Ebay item number and a brief item description, the message "Thank you for your purchase. Please let me know when this package arrives so I can leave feedback for you. Thanks," with space to sign his name and at the bottom his ebay ID and email address. Business card size will let you get 10 or 12 on a page. I created mine in MSPublisher, but there are bus.card templates available for MSWord you could use. Check the software you have and see if there are templates for business cards or greeting cards available. Jill
    ...See More

how important is a slip?

Q

Comments (22)
    Funny recent slip story: we were visiting in another state to attend DH's big high school class reunion. He hadn't seen these people since then many, many years ago. I had every outfit for the long, multiple event weekend planned out and packed, or so I thought. The night before the final, big banquet I discovered that I'd forgotten my slip! The outfit had a long (thin) dark silk skirt. I tried it on to see if I absolutely needed a slip and both DH & DD got big-eyed and said, "Yes, you definitely need one!" With only an hour available before we had to leave that next afternoon, we headed to the huge Walmart a block from our hotel. After searching the store for 15 minutes to no avail, I finally asked a sales clerk where the slips were. She said the store stopped stocking them two years ago because no one buys them anymore! OMG, I do and I needed one then! With no other stores close by, I went into a panic search mode. I finally bought an inexpensive, long, smock-topped slip-type silky dress and a pair of sewing scissors. Back at the hotel, I just cut off the spaghetti straps and about 14" off the hem and wore it around my waist as a slip. It worked out great, although I was very grateful it wasn't windy as we walked in from the parking lot. The sight of my hacked off "slip" was not a pretty sight (LOL)! Lynn
    ...See More

NUTS! I need help.... with walnuts. lol

Q

Comments (27)
    I think I was more confusing than you were, June. Thanks for trying to help! Nikki, I saw that one- I've tried a few of their methods to no avail. Lydia, molding is a good idea and I may have to do that if nothing else works, great thought! Marie, I've tapped, dug, pried, pushed, banged, etc- nothing is working! I'm toasting these suckers tomorrow. Another friend suggested freezing- I tried that but not for long enough so I'll try that again, tonight, overnight. I know what you're all thinking- this can't be that hard! Well, it is. LOL I'm usually pretty good at doing stuff and cracking these shells down the seam is not easy and it's downright frustrating! If you go to the store and buy some walnuts and they pop right open for you...... don't tell me! You'll kill me! Or better yet, send me the halves! rofl I need 24, but I want more so I can pick and choose.
    ...See More
  • tinam61
    14 years ago

I rarely wear a dress and skirts only occasionally. But, if the skirt is sheer, I'll wear a half-slip. I cannot remember wearing a full slip, since childhood. LOL

tina

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Half slips and pantyhose. I don't understand why women think push up underwire bras to expose their cleavage are not uncomfortable, yet won't wear a slip and hose! Bare knees, veiny legs, chipped toenails, etc., are not at all pretty, even on young women, IMO. And I'm not that old, either!

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Another slip wearer here. I have both long and short half slips.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I guess I'd rather die. Possibly if it's a really sheer skirt, but I'm not likely to wear one in the first place. Having some extra bunch of nylon around my middle isn't flattering or comfy.

If it's that sheer, you could try boy short panties.

• golddust
    14 years ago

I love dresses. I wear dresses like the average person wears jeans. Almost daily. I have many slips and always wear one. That said, I freely cut them to various lengths. I have full slips and half slips. They keep my dresses from edging up by my tights. My dresses are casual for every day. I have many solid color dresses and only a few prints. In winter, I wear them with boots and tights. Sandals in summer. I have been a fan of casual dresses my entire life. They are easy and flattering. I have a great collection of 40s and 50s house dresses.

Also, I have a huge collection of vintage full aprons. I love soft aprons that match my casual dresses. (Color match, not print.) Sometimes I forget and wear my apron to the grocery store, which is why I try to match my aprons to my dresses! LOL! I always wear an apron when traveling, just in case I spill my Latte.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golddust's typical apron. (Yes, I bought this one.)

• Shannon01
    14 years ago

I have an assortment for any occasion, both slips and camisoles. I worked at Macys in my youth and got great deals on some really nice items. I cannot stand when skirt clings to the leg or tights. I tried to get my dd to wear one with a tight skirt to keep it from creeping up and she freaked. It was like I was putting armor on her or something. I gave in and luckily it was ok without one.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I don't see how boy short panties could possibly take the place of a slip when wearing a sheer skirt. It's not just the undergarments that shouldn't show through a skirt, you shouldn't be able to see the outline of your legs or the junction of legs and body.

• deegw
    14 years ago

I wear these pants/slip things. I think slips help smooth out any lumps. Plus, they are another layer between your bare skin and the world.

I tried to get my teen daughters to wear slips when we had to go to a wedding. They freaked out! You would have thought I was trying to make them wear orthapedic shoes. They wear cotton athletic shorts under all their skirts and dresses. They don't wear anything sheer (yet) so we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: pants that are slips!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

LOL! Who knew some people reacted so violently to the very idea of wearing a slip? Mine aren't bulky whatsoever, but help to keep things bunch-free. I agree with terriks about not envisioning how boy-short panties would help.

This:

is what we're trying to avoid.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Funny timing on this one, since I was just cleaning out my "slip drawer" and discarding all those that I've not worn in several years! When I was married in 1986 I wore a Jessica McClintock antique lace dress that had a thin cotton underslip. It was lovely, but I still needed a full length slip underneath to keep the outline of my legs from showing through. This was back in the days when fashion mistakes, like Princess Di's famous back lit sheer skirt faux pas were considered improper!

Nowadays, I only wear a slip if the fabric is sheer, otherwise, that drawer in my bureau isn't even opened. I discarded at least 5 slips that I haven't worn in over 5-8 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down the page to see Princess Di

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I wear 'em too!

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

deee, I totally forgot about petti-pants! I used to wear those all the time - in the 60s & 70s.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I don't wear dresses, but in the few (very rare) occasions I've worn a dress, I wore a slip. Not a modesty thing, a sleeker finish thing. I swear they DO cover some of the lumps. I'd die first if I had to wear panty hose.

My DD's didn't know about slips till I helped one when she had to wear a sheer dress. Then the girls fell in love with them. Of course, most of the young girls wear short mini dresses, but anything past mid thigh gets a slip.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I don't know about the rest of you, but I wanna see some pictures of golddust in her dresses and boots. I am so intrigued by your sense of style, golddust... and I mean that in the nicest way.

I'd love to wear casual dresses every day because I think they're flattering and comfortable-- I do wear them quite a bit in summer. In winter, I just haven't really found casual everyday dresses that are warm enough.

With a casual cotton summer skirt, I don't wear a slip, but I do make sure they're not see-thru before I leave the house! Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I wore a slip.

• deniseandspike
    14 years ago

I wear the petti pants as well (I get them in different lengths at Sears). I wear skirts almost every day and the petti pants make me feel comfortable that in any situation nothing will be showing (like if the wind were to blow your dress up). I was standing in line at Walgreens waiting to check out when I turned around to look for my toddler. Apparently he had gotten shy and lifted up my long skirt and was hiding. I have no idea how high he lifted my skirt, but I really didn't care that much because I know that nothing could be seen except the petti pants. If I had been wearing a slip he probably would have hiked that up too!

I have some really short ones that I wear with my summer wrap skirts.

• imsoconfused
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ladies for all your thought and input on the slip thing!!! I had several slips but they are gone due to a flood, so I guess I do need to replace them or at least one half slip! Thanks again...now to just find some in a store somewhere local.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

On some decor/craft show, a woman put half slips over lampshades, pinned a brooch on them, and called it done. I do not recommend this.

• jlc712
    14 years ago

I wear a slip if the skirt is at all sheer. I often wear knee length skirts to work in the summer. I have knee length and one mid-calf length slip. I don't think I've ever owned a full slip. My mother (I am 37) told me about petti pants and I think they're great! I also have some cotton underwear that are biker short style and the legs come to midthigh. They are the best when it's really hot, because I cannot stand (sorry for tmi)sweaty thighs. Ick!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Palimp, I live in the Gold Country, where there is a rich history of red light districts and such. The lamp shade you described would fit in just perfectly at our local 'Lola Montez' house.

• les917
    14 years ago

So people wear slips with sheerer long skirts to avoid others seeing the outline of the legs. Hmm, but what do people see when the same person wears shorts or slacks? The outline of the legs. Not sure I get the point.

I do agree, tho, that they make sense for keeping dresses and skirts from clinging or creeping, and being uncomfortable.

Considering the last time I wore a skirt or dress was in 1991, I can assure you that it all should be a personal preference issue. LOL

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Definitely wear a slip. Just looks a little unclassy (is that a word?) to me to see through a ladies dress - especially at a funeral or church event!

Some dresses now days have a lining and I've at times not worn a slip with those, but if they are really thin material, I still slip on a slip! Just feels better and makes the dress drape so much nicer too.

Sortof like interlining in draperies!

• sheesh
    14 years ago

We're not talking about girdles and corsets - it's a slip! I'd rather people noticed what I am wearing, rather than what I am not.

Cracks me up that women spend time carefully shaving their legs to their thighs, then apply artificial tanning sprays, just to avoid wearing hose! Then, they wear Spanks (or something like it) and push-up bras, but not a slip! Oy.

Les, surely you're joking? You really don't see the point? LOL.

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

I wear long skirts to work everyday and ALWAYS wear a slip. One day I forgot somehow and I ran out and got one at the closest store. :)

• les917
    13 years ago

Nope, I am not joking. What is any different about seeing the outline of a leg in a skirt or the outline of a leg in shorts? Actually, the leg in shorts is MORE exposed. What do you think is being seen under the skirt? As far as I can tell,nothing you can't see in pants, shorts or a bathing suit.

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

Oh my, since I am hopelessly countri-fied and haven't worn a skirt (and rarely anything much fancier than jeans or Carhart overalls -hey, I live on a farm!) in years, I was shocked awhile back to learn here that people aren't wearing stockings or pantyhose anymore. (Question: if no one's wearing hose any longer why does Victoria's Secret have garter belts on display in their windows?) Now it seems there are people (but not as many if the replies above signify) who don't wear a slip with dresses or skirts.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since I recently saw a Bennington College girl who was wearing one of those full slips made of slinky, heavy satin with wide bands of lace along the top and bottom edge and slightly gathered fullness over diamond-shaped, bias-cut cups and built-up shoulder straps. (If you're too young, you won't recognize this description.) Now, Benn. Col. girls are notoriously free thinkers (at least according to the locals), so you might have wondered if this girl would get a chill in that get-up. No, she wouldn't because she was wearing the slip over a pair of very tight dark jeans and knit top. It was bit startling to those of us who might remember when a (good) friend might sidle up to you and whisper "it's snowing down South", just before one scurried to the ladies to correct the problem.

• deegw
    13 years ago

Les - I think some of us old folks think that being able to see through a skirt is more provocative than just wearing shorts or slacks. I wouldn't wear a sheer blouse with my bra on display and I wouldn't wear sheer skirt with my panties and/or the outline of my crotch on display. To each his own!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Liriodendren that sounds like some get up! I work part-time at a university - the outfits you see - oh my!

Stockings and garter belts are for *playtime*, although there may be some who actually wear them. . . (wink)!

tina

• spitfire_01
    13 years ago

Les - some of us don't wear short-shorts or a bathing suit in public. We have a thing called modesty. Also, tell me when it is appropriate to wear a bathing suit or shorts into a professional work environment?

Does anyone remember the scandal when a picture surfaced of the soon-to-be princess Diana wearing a skirt with no slip?

Yes, I (obviously) wear slips. I think that is a part of "proper raising" to be honest. My goal is to only buy fully-lined skirts b/c I hate having to find the appropriate length slip in my morning rush, but when I do end up with an unlined skirt, I definitely wear a slip!

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

Deee....I'm with you! Though I admit that I have no hesitation on wearing a bathing suit at the beach or pool, or shorts, for that matter, at locations where this type of attire is appropriate. Then again, at venues where a skirt or dress is the norm, (usually more "formal"), I would feel awkward in something so sheer that the outline of my legs, and/or crotch, is shown.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

That's right. I suppose sheer gauzy pants have their place, but not in a professional setting, or even in the mall! Especially on mature women - and mature means being older than, oh, let's say 12! Big difference, les.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I don't think wearing short-shorts or a swimsuit in public necessarily means you aren't modest. Those things are appropriate in certain public places. I think the difference between showing the outline of one's legs and crotch in shorts/pants vs. in a skirt or dress is that in the latter, it's not a part of the look. It's distracting and takes away from the flow of the dress as it's intended to cover those parts of the body, not reveal them.

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

I see Les's point in keeping with today's st yle, but I was also brought up to wear slips. I think today we wear them more so that we don't offend other women, as most men couldn't give a rats a$$, and many would prefer sans slips ;-) I do think high profile women (like Di) should never be without them if they're "needed".

That said - I have to attend a wed ding this weekend and need to wear a dress - first time in probably 5 years. I am already committing one faux pas by wearing black, so I just couldn't commit another by going sans slip with gauze material. I could have gone to Catherine's and spent $23 on a black half slip or pettipants, but instead I went to GW and got a black half slip and a nice black cami sole - both for $6! In an age when many are not wearing them, there are plenty of used available and for what will be a single use item, I think I did pretty good ;-)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I think it's actually easier to get a very sheer voile skirt lined than to wear a slip, but I'm not likely to wear a sheer skirt to a wedding/funeral/work-related event. It's just what you're comfortable with, I guess, but I don't think wearing one makes someone more modest or denotes a proper upbringing any more.

Sheer skirts might just be intended to show the outlines of the wearer's legs--naughty but nice?

• User
    13 years ago

Just opened this back up today and didn't read them all but wanted to say I think seeing legs through shorts is different than seeing through someone's skirt.

I probably shouldn't even go here but anyone think it's ok to see your bra through your shirt?? I hate to even see lace bunching.

IMO, wear a slip if the skirt is going to show like Jen's photo above.

• User
    13 years ago

Correction... seeing legs when wearing shorts. Not through the shorts.

Don't believe they make short slips. :)

• natal
    13 years ago

What is any different about seeing the outline of a leg in a skirt or the outline of a leg in shorts?

Normally when you wear a skirt you don't intend to have what's under it on display. That would be the difference.

• les917
    13 years ago

Spitfire, are you suggesting that people who wear a bathing suit in public are immodest? I hope not, as that is the only chance most people have to swim - in a public place.

I wore a slip all the time I wore skirts or dresses, unless they were lined, but it was so they didn't cling and wrinkle.

Yeah, boy, that was really bad to see the outline of Diana's legs. I guess most people didn't assume she had them, and merely floated from place to place. LOL

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Do I really detect a hint of snarkiness and contention over undergarments? Ohhhh boy ...
    ;-)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I haven't wore slips in years, not to say that I wouldn't. Come to think of it I haven't worn nylons in years, except to my aunt's funeral a few months ago. I am one of those that goes bare legged, but I use tanning stuff and moisturize always.

I love dress's for evening and they are always lined, so no need for slips.

....Jane

• sarg2010
    13 years ago

I am a Man and personally I find Unattractive and somewhat disgusting (my personal opinion) for women to wear slips specially if it can be seeing on a skirt slit or on the lower portion of the skirt, it makes me get away from that woman.
    So this is what I donÂt get why women are so worried of legs outline while wearing a skirt when they wear Pants and SHORTS, isnÂt that more revealing????? I totally donÂt understand that but I guess because I am a Man thatÂs why.
    Now on the picture shown above of the lady in the garden what is wrong with it? If that is what women are concerned about then WHY wear Sheer Skirts and Dresses?????
    That Picture posted is artistic and beautiful, and as for my point of view All women who donÂt wear slips and happen to somewhat see the legs outline are beautiful. Yes I repeat, in my opinion women who donÂt wear slip are Beautiful.
    I DON'T like it when Women/Girls wearing SLIPS at all, to me it is Disgusting and I feel nauseas when I see that.
    My mother wears them and I have a very difficult time talking and or dealing with her when she wears them, I told her this but she doesnÂt get it, it is very difficult for me to give her a hug and a kiss because of that I am being 100% honest, maybe I need some help but thatÂs the way I feel since I was 11 or 12 year old.
    I wish those things (slips) NEVER Existed.
    A Woman who donÂt wear slips to me is the Perfect Woman and this has nothing to do with anything sexual to be very Clear about this subject.

Thank You
    Sarge