SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo_in_ar

NUTS! I need help.... with walnuts. lol

15 years ago

I'm trying to crack them open without breaking the shell anywhere except along the seam. I've tried freezing them first, that didn't help. We've tried gentle pressure with a nutcracker, turning and squeezing, turning and squeezing, no good, eventually they just smash into bits.

I need 24+ halves for next years ornaments and after about 25 walnuts, I think I have about 6 halves that I can use. I'm scared to try the microwave, it's new, see.... I don't want to blow the door off or damage it in any way. (That happened with a spaghetti squash, and we had pricked it, but not deep enough, I guess, that was startling.)

Thought about using the Dremel, but don't relish the thought of grinding my way into them, the smell, ick.

Any ideas? And tried and true ways? Thanks for any help you can provide. :) It's harder to do than I thought it would be, truly.

Oh, I did google for this info and I found one helpful website (said old walnuts were the easiest to open, that sometimes they would twist apart, but I don't have any access to old walnuts.)

Comments (27)