*new thread* Michael Thurmond food tips and recipes...
25 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (37)
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
Related Discussions
do we have a quorum for a - gasp - diet food thread?
Comments (80)The bad thing is that I'm hungrier, and it's hard to stick to the calorie level that seems to produce rapid weight loss for me. I've been missing my target fairly often, and it feels like my body wants more food. So I've started packing a bento-type lunch, as mentioned in another thread, in hopes that at least my calories will be healthy ones. This is a classic example of dieting vs. lifestyle changes. Dieting is a temporary way of eating with the goal of losing weight, while lifestyle changes are a permanent change in one's lifestyle with the ultimate goal of improving one's health in all areas including weight loss (if it's necessary). IMO when someone says they "can't lose weight", what they really mean is "I can't lose weight as fast as I want to", and so they give up. The "diet" industry has brainwashed us into thinking that if we don't lose at least 1-2 pounds per week, then something must be wrong, and that's a big lie. Choose fruit over chips -- not because they're a "diet" food or "low-cal" but because fruit is a much healthier choice than fried potato chips. Eat a salad full of veggies with lean chicken -- not because it's a "diet" meal but because it's full of healthy nutrients that are good for you! Include a piece of 100% whole grain bread if you want and even a little bit of butter -- yes, butter! Take smaller servings (and only one of each -- don't go back for seconds) and skip the gravy and creamy sauces --- they're not necessary if food is well-seasoned. Eat smaller amounts more frequently. Don't skip lunch if you're planning a nice dinner out -- just eat a smaller dinner (dinner out doesn't have to mean overeating). Have a dish of ice cream now and then, just not most days of the week. Don't eat "diet" foods (low-fat cookies, etc) --- just skip those snacks altogether and eat the real thing only on special occasions. That's how I slowly lost 50 pounds several years ago, about 1-2 pounds per month, eating ~1800 calories a day of healthy food choices and increasing my exercise, and have kept off every single ounce even during holidays and stressful times. During the holidays I don't eat as many cookies because "I don't do that anymore", simple as that. I dropped those bad habits and they're not a part of my life anymore. Prior to losing weight I had acid reflux and have a family history of diabetes. The acid reflux is completely gone (without taking a single purple pill) and probably so is my risk of diabetes. I don't have the metabolism of a race horse; I'm a typical middle-aged woman with a desk job. I made simple but important permanent lifestyle changes in eating and exercise, and I stuck with it and persevered no matter how slowly the scales budged, and some months they didn't budge at all!...See Morefavorite back of the bag/box recipes thread
Comments (29)I made the recipe from the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box and it was pretty good. It's a chocolate cake recipe with chocolate frosting. I love a recipe where the only ingredient for choclate is cocoa, because I keep that on hand. I usually have a square or two of baker's choclate, but never enought to make a whole recipe with. I buy it on a per project basis. It wasn't quite done on time, so I left it in the oven a little longer and the edges got a little overdone. A glass of milk helps with that. It's a very dark and moist cake. The order in which you add ingredients seemed a little weird for me. Maybe because I'm used to making cookies. You start with the flour, sugar, salt, soda, powder, and cocoa. Then add the eggs and vanilla. Then some milk and a cup of boiling water. Strange order it seems. I'm sure it would have been even better had I not baked it in silicone baking pans. I really dislike those things!...See MoreYour Best Stay Fresh Longer Food Storage Tips !!!
Comments (10)Two adults here, as well. Wasted food is the most expensive food you purchase, so I do careful meal plans to help reduce that "forgotten" something-'er-other, especially in the crisper drawer. I dehydrate, freeze, or vacuum seal with a FoodSaver for longer storage. Instead of waiting for the celery go go limp, I'll dehydrate a portion of it. Works great in soups, casseroles, etc. I also dry the celery leaves. Can't get all those mushrooms used? Slice and dehydrate them. I make entire soup mixes with a wide variety of dehydrated foods. We eat dehydrated zucchini as a substitute for potato chips. Hard cheese keeps longer in FoodSaver bags. When grapes are on sale, I'll stock up and freeze them in FoodSaver bags. I like the green bags for bananas, as well as freezing or dehydrating bananas when I can get a deal on them. FoodSaver canisters are great for leaf lettuce and fruit in the refrigerator. They keep much longer when vacuum-sealed. When potatoes are buy a 5# bag - get one free, I make them into mashed potatoes and freeze them in dollops and vacuum seal the dollops in FoodSaver bags. Otherwise, we'd never be able to use 5#, let alone 10#... I also cook and mash sweet potatoes and dehydrate them on the fruit roll-up trays. When crispy-dry, I run them through the blender and make sweet potato powder. Reconstitutes to make mashed sweet potatoes by adding hot water. I do the same thing with tomatoes for tomato powder. Reconstitute it with water for making pizza sauce, etc. It's amazing how many tomatoes you can get in a quart jar when you dehydrate them, and even MORE when you make tomato powder. Ripe fruit can be made into fruit roll-ups. You can dehyarate yogurt. I even dehydrate lean cooked meat cut into 1/2-inch cubes. After they are dry, I package it in FoodSaver bags and stick it in the freezer. Make sure your refrigerator is 40°F, or colder, and your freezer is 0°F or colder. Food degrades faster when those temperatures are warmer. -Grainlady...See MorePlease help me grill. Tips and All Recipes appreciated!
Comments (34)Well, you all have me convinced! I'm ordering one today or tomorrow, along with a grill temperature probe, which I needed anyway. I watched a few YouTube's last night on the Instant Pot and was pretty surprised at what it can do. I'm going to get the Ultra, as it seems to have a few more features for now and later - it does have a 'faux' sous vide setting, which I'm sure is inaccurate, but will suffice for now should I attempt it. I'll get the Anova after reno if I still want it. Hard boiled and poached eggs, fast and easy rice, pasta, proteins, steamed veggies, stock and bone broth, and I can make soups! Soups!!!! So glad this was brought up and I was encouraged to get one. I'll most likely order a pressure cooker cookbook as well. Annie, I will look for Instant Pot recipes too! Snowed yesterday, rain and cold temps for the next week, so clearly grilling is not something I can do always. However, I think I'll start small - I've got chili in the fridge, so next non-rainy day, cornbread in the grill : ) I think, with the grill, the electric skillet (which is quite large), the Instant Pot, microwave, and my sad toaster oven, I should be set. I've so few cooking utensils now, and very little space, it's all I can really use! The induction burner looked great, but I'd have to find and unpack my pans and order skillets - but I'm quickly running out of storage containers and I'm finding they aren't ideal for storage/cooking - nothing is, but I'll manage : ) I know one thing: After we're done with the reno, it'll feel like we're living like Kings! LOL! During the reno, I won't be limited in meals as I thought I might be. Again, and again, I'm so grateful to everyone here at the GW Cooking community!...See More- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 25 years ago
- 24 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 20 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 18 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

HEALTHY HOME6 Tips From a Nearly Zero-Waste Home
Lower your trash output and increase your quality of life with these ideas from a mom who did it to the max
Full Story
ORGANIZING21 Tips for Organizing Your Stuff
Restore order at home with these ideas for tidying up cupboards, shelves, doors and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN10 Tips for Planning a Galley Kitchen
Follow these guidelines to make your galley kitchen layout work better for you
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSPro Chefs Dish on Kitchens: Michael Symon Shares His Tastes
What does an Iron Chef go for in kitchen layout, appliances and lighting? Find out here
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGClutter vs. Keepers: A Guide to New Year's Purging
Simple questions to get in touch with your clutter comfort level — and figure out what needs to go
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Your Kitchen ‘Bake Off’ Ready
Make it easy to whip up a cake or a batch of cookies with these tips for organizing your space
Full Story
MUDROOMSHouzz Call: We Want to See Your Hardworking Mudroom
The modern mudroom houses everything from wet boots to workstations. Proud of your space? Inspire us with your photos and tips
Full Story
MOST POPULARKitchen of the Week: Broken China Makes a Splash in This Kitchen
When life handed this homeowner a smashed plate, her designer delivered a one-of-a-kind wall covering to fit the cheerful new room
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Replace or Revamp Your Garage Doors
Boost curb appeal and maybe even security with new garage doors. Find out cost ranges and other important details here
Full StorySponsored
More Discussions
castanedo2_aol_com