SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguru1950

Romantic dinner recipes, food ideas

gardenguru1950
16 years ago

Someone wrote in the last thread:

"no matter what was served."

I didn't miss that. I am sure (certainly now) that more than the food is the setting, the attitude, the gestures. I collected them all. I will memorize them (well, at least until I become totally distracted).

So, with that said, what are your favorite sensuous menus? Recipes gratefully accepted.

Joe

Comments (54)

• homesforsale
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fondue:)

Feed each other:)

Are you close?:)

• gardenguru1950
    Original Author
    16 years ago

fenworth WINS!!! Sushi off my tummy! With a sip of an appropriately-chosen wine after each bite. Now THAT'S an idea. But seriously ...

Good question to ask, khandi. And I should have offered some guidelines.

She doesn't do beef or any red meat. Seafood, chicken, etc. works. She's a cuisine foodie but I'm pretty sure Italian is her favorite. Dessert-wise: fresh and light.

Thanks all ia,
    Joe

• Related Discussions

Fast healthy real food dinner ideas

Q

Comments (30)
    Also meant to mention (and you can google this) - why did Russia ban microwave ovens. So I did and here is what I found. There was no law that banned microwave ovens in the old Soviet Union, William Kopp made this up for his article many years ago. Several debunkers have trawled the USSR legal code without success trying to find the law - or the law that repealed it during perestroika. One argument goes that if even the Soviets banned microwave ovens, and we all know how evil the Soviets were, then surely microwave ovens must be bad. It is in the same boat as the allegation that the Nazis invented microwave ovens. They didn't (if they had cavity magnetrons available, they would have done what the British did and built accurate high frequency radar sets). Evil inventors developing something that even the evil Soviet empire had to ban, how effective that is as anti microwave oven propaganda. The question is valid given the sheer bulk of comment on the internet, but the simple truth is that microwave ovens were not banned in the old USSR. Urban Myth. No evidence whatsoever to support it.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Progressive Dinner for Feb 1

Q

Comments (25)
    Okay... So I mentioned my problems with appetizers... Same deal with first courses. You're going to have to forgive me -- what I'm posting bears a little resemblance to a salad, but I wanted to post something T&T, and I also think given that the meal is heavy overall, this is a nice light starter. Zucchini Carpaccio 2-4 small to medium sized zukes (depending on how many people you want to serve) Small container of whole milk ricotta 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted One bunch fresh mint 1-2 lemons fresh ground pepper, coarse salt extra virgin olive oil With a vegetable peeler, peel zukes into many ribbons, peeling the long way. Arrange artfully onto small plates. Add small dollops of fresh ricotta on top. Chiffonade the mint, and sprinkle liberally over top. Add lots of fresh ground black pepper and coarse salt, then squeeze fresh lemon juice on top and drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil. Finish with a healthy sprinkling of the toasted pine nuts. Emily
    ...See More

RECIPE: Help need dinner Ideas for 7 Adults & 3 kids

Q

Comments (7)
    Here's a good recipe for shrimp cakes that I think would go well with the rest of your menu. I have made rosemary roasted potatoes to go with them. I think you could skip a veggi, since you are doing the veggi pasta, but I think a tossed salad would be nice. Asian slaw would be too strong a flavor that goes in the wrong direction, IMO. These shrimp cakes are nice when having company as they are done ahead and quick to cook just before serving. Gingered Shrimp Cakes 1 lb. large shrimp, cooked 4 scallions, sliced, green parts included 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley 1/2 C fresh corn, cooked, cut off cob (can use frozen) 1 lg egg 3 Tbsp mayonnaise 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce 1/2 tsp salt Pinch of ground black pepper 1 1/2 C fresh bread crumbs or panko (divided) 2 Tbsp olive oil (or more, for frying) 1 Tbsp butter (with the oil, for frying) Coarsely chop shrimp in bowl. Add scallions, ginger, lemon zest, parsley and corn. Combine mayonnaise, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper and fold into shrimp mixture. Add 1 Cup breadcrumbs and gently mix. Form into 4 patties and gently dredge in remaining 1/2 C breadcrumbs, adding more if necessary. Put on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 min and up to 4 hours. Heat oil and butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Saute cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 8 minutes. Chile Garlic Sauce (optional) To make Chile-garlic cream sauce, combine 2 Tbsp chile-garlic sauce ( from Asia aisle at supermarket and is sweet) and juice of 1/2 lime with 1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche. Spoon about 3 Tbsp of sauce on each plate and place shrimp cake on it, serve immediately. Makes four servings. Variation: Substitute lump crab meat for the shrimp. Nancy
    ...See More

recipe: looking: for recipes for food xmas gifts.

Q

Comments (34)
    I found this one today. OVERNIGHT APPLE BUTTER mixture of apple varieties, rather than just one type, will produce apple butter with rich, complex flavor in this slow cooker recipe. Good choices include Esopus Spitzenburg, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Northern Spy, Rome, Stayman, Winesap, and York. Enjoy the apple butter over toast or English muffins, or serve it with pork chops or chicken. Yield 4 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup) Ingredients 1 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup honey 1/4 cup apple cider 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 1/8 teaspoon ground mace 10 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut into large chunks (about 2 1/2 pounds) Preparation Combine all ingredients in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 10 hours or until apples are very tender. Place a large fine-mesh sieve over a bowl; spoon one-third of apple mixture into sieve. Press mixture through sieve using the back of a spoon or ladle. Discard pulp. Repeat procedure with remaining apple mixture. Return apple mixture to slow cooker. Cook, uncovered, on high 1 1/2 hours or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a bowl; cover and chill up to a week. Stovetop variation: Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 1 hour or until apples are very tender, stirring occasionally. Strain through a sieve as recipe instructs in Step 2. Return mixture to pan. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.
    ...See More
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

And champagne... at least one glass. Molten lava cakes are good for both chocolate (a universal like) and for finger licking, um, I mean the sauce. Sorry, started backwards with the last impressions cause they're the most important. Creamy (creamed corn with jalapenos), saucy (hollandaise is yummy), heart-shaped things (sliced strawberries) are all good things. I'd eat pork medallions in cream sauce (see, creamy and saucy), along with twice baked potatoes. Or lasagne with crusty bread dipped in olive oil, with a good spinach salad and Chianti. Or a steak. What's her favorite is a good starting point, but what is your forte?

P.S. avoid chicken legs, corn on the cob, or spaghetti, all UN-romantic.

• gardenguru1950
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ack...

I should not have said "Italian". She's completely open and because she's half Italian and I'm half Sicilian, maybe I should surprise her. Cajun? Indian? Canadian? Don't know. But it should be sensuous/sensual/lusicous.

monique: yes, we are close -- that's why the romantic dinner. But that's not what you're asking, is it? You want to know if I live in Canada. Sorry, no.

Joe

• gardenguru1950
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"what is [my] forte?"

I'm realizing I'm very bad at this request stuff. I feel like I'm writing a "Match.com" profile. lol

I don't think I have a "forte". I can cook anything.

You're all so helpful and I'm not helping you.

Walk me through this, please.

Joe

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

Without knowing how many dates or where you are in the relationship, here's my suggestion...

On an early date my husband grilled a large steak outdoors with an umbrella in hand due to the rain. He also made his famous Caesar salad and baked potatoes. The rest is history.

Although I don't mind garlic, some women may not be comfortable eating that much on a date (although if you both eat it you cancel each other out IMO). But a steak and potato, unless she's got a thing about beef, is a nice way to go.

Since most women are looking are conscious of what they eat, perhaps a nice prime steak of beef filet, pan seared and cooked to perfection in the oven (this allows you to focus on your guest). Jacques Pepin's method is great for this.

Make a sauce ahead of time, whether that is a blue cheese or wine or mushroom/cognac based sauce and heat slowly for serving.

Steam round white potatoes until al dente, cut a small 'x'in the top, and press with a spatula to somewhat crush them, brush with olive oil or melted butter and finish off in the oven until crispy brown at the edges.

Green beans have a wonderful flavor when roasted. Just trim, toss with a little olive oil, and roast at 425 for 15-20 minutes, then sprinkle with a bit of salt.

If you want to make dinner prep part of your date, then have everything almost ready to cook, with just the final steps of prep remaining. It's might be nice to have that distraction and finish the prep together for a more casual, less intense start to the evening.

So for the steaks, have them out and at room temp, and have the potatoes in the steamer ready to steam. Clean and trim the green beans and place them on a baking sheet.

A lovely tossed salad and perhaps some baked apples with lowfat vanilla softserve yogurt or slow churned ice cream is nice and homey for dessert.

You certainly don't want to be bogged down by a overstuffed stomach for Part II of the date, whatever that might be ;).

For all it's worth,
    Sue

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

If she likes desserts that are fresh and light you could go with fresh fruit and lady fingers with chocolate fondue or whipped cream. Or you could do a trifle or tiramisu. For dinner you could do shrimp cocktail for starter with either cocktail sauce or a fancier dipping sauce (shells removed for easy eating), and maybe crab stuffed flounder for the main.

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

I totally agree with monique on the fondue. Very romantic and luscious... Perhaps accompany with some type of shrimp appetizer -- perhaps the famed gingered shrimp cakes served over a light salad. And I think with fondue, something slighly lighter than molten lava cakes for desert -- perhaps chocolate mousse?

Emily

• annie1992
    16 years ago

I agree on the chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert, it needs fingers and you could feed her, literally. Or you could do RiverRat's poached pears with chocolate sauce. Then again, Sol's Molten Lava Cakes are spectacularly good, although they do require that baking during dinner.

If you don't do poached pears, this is a nice salad, although I used feta in place of the cheddar and added a sprinkling of pancetta.

Cheddar, Pear and Walnut Salad w/ Pear Vinaigrette

3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts*
    2 firm but ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and sliced
    6 handfuls Boston or Bibb lettuce, torn into large pieces
    3/4 cup (6 ounces) crumbled White Extra Sharp Cheddar

Pear vinaigrette

1 firm but ripe Bartlett pear, peeled, cored and quartered
    1 tablespoon walnut oil
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon salt

In blender or food processor, puree together pear, oils, vinegars and salt.

In large bowl, toss walnuts, pears, and lettuce with dressing. Divide among 6 plates and garnish with crumbled cheese.

Serves 6

OK, so beef and pork is out. Maybe something like chicken piccata or maybe some scallops? Or clams? Nothing too "heavy" or she'll be napping, not romantic! Here's one clam recipe, and I looked for the pasta with clam sauce that Ann T loves so well, but of course, I couldn't find it. It's here somewhere.....

Mom's Baked Clams
    ==================
    Posted by Sue (cookingrvc)

These come out light and delicious, not bready and greasy.

4 dozen clams
    2 Cups Seasoned breadcrumbs
    1 Tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon Garlic Powder -- or fresh garlic
    1 Tablespoon Olive oil
    2 Tablespoons Minced parsley -- Fresh

Shuck the clams and reserve all juice.

Filter the juice through a thin piece of cotton to remove sand and grit (Dad always used a FRESH men's handkerchief for this).

Scrub the clam shells in the sink, rinsing well, then boil in water to sterilize them. You can do this a day or two ahead. If you do it ahead, store the cleaned clams in the filtered juice until ready to use.

Mix the breadcrumbs, lemon juice, garlic powder and olive oil. The mixture should be only the slightest bit moist. (you should not be able to mold the crumbs into a shape).

We cut up the clams, but you can leave them whole if you prefer. Place shells in jelly-roll pan (cookie sheet), in one layer. Place clam pieces or whole clam in each cleaned shell. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture to cover the surface so that you can't see through to the clams, but don't pile it on.

Using the reserved clam juice, sprinkle about 1-2 teaspoons on juice onto each prepared clam. This keeps them from drying out. Bake at 350 - 375F for 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are well toasted.

Or scallops, your basic Coquilles St. Jacques? This one says it can be made a day ahead, so that would save you some time on the big day. I've never tried making it ahead, but I don't see why you couldn't.

Scallops with mushrooms in white-wine sauce
    Gourmet January 2003

Servings: Makes 8 first-course servings.

Ingredients

1/4 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs from a baguette
    1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 oz)
    1 1/4 cups dry white wine
    1 cup water
    1/2 small onion, sliced
    1/2 Turkish or 1/4 California bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 lb sea scallops, tough muscle removed from side of each if necessary and scallops cut into 3/4-inch pieces
    1/2 lb small mushrooms, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced lengthwise
    3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 large egg yolk
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    8 cups kosher salt to stabilize scallop shells (if using)
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
    Special equipment: 16 (2 1/2-inch) scallop shells* or 8 (2-oz) ramekins

Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast bread crumbs on a baking sheet in middle of oven until pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes, then toss with cheese.

Simmer wine, water, onion, bay leaf, salt, and pepper in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan, uncovered, 5 minutes, then add scallops and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer scallops to a platter with a slotted spoon to cool, returning any onions to pan, then boil cooking liquid until reduced to about 1 cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour cooking liquid through a sieve into a bowl.

Cook mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter in a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Whisk together cream and yolk in a heatproof bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in cleaned 2 1/2- to 3-quart saucepan over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook roux, whisking, 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add reduced cooking liquid in a stream, whisking constantly. Return pan to heat and simmer, whisking, 1 minute. Pour sauce in a slow stream into cream mixture, whisking constantly, then pour sauce back into pan and simmer, whisking, 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

Preheat broiler. Stir scallops and mushrooms into sauce, then divide among scallop shells or ramekins and sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. If using shells, spread kosher salt evenly in a large shallow baking pan, then nestle shells in salt. Dot scallops with remaining 2 tablespoons butter, then broil about 4 inches from heat until golden, about 2 minutes.

Sprinkle with parsley.

Cooks' note:
    Â Scallop mixture can be made (but not spooned into shells or ramekins) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat in a saucepan over moderate heat before proceeding.

A nice crusty bread would be good with this, maybe roasted asparagus as a side. Yeah, that "phallic" shape (grin), might give her ideas.....

Good luck with the dinner Joe, I'm hoping we don't hear from you at all on Sunday, maybe Monday!

Annie

• User
    16 years ago

Think it's important to keep the meal luscious yet light. One would not wanted to be feeling too full after dinner ; )

Soft foods, things that almost melt in you mouth, are very sensual. Red Pepper Soup with a dollop of creme fraiche, Coquille Ste Jacques on a shell, lobster, shrimp or crab crepes with a lovely mornay sauce. For dessert Champagne Sabayon.

also, decide to either involve the lucky lady in the cooking or have it all ready to go......you don't want to be involved in anything but and with her.

Good luck and let us know your final menu choices. I know it will be fabulous!

PS: Here is the Sabayon recipe. I've not made it but I did have it served to me, fabulous dessert and very light. Also have red pepper soup and Coquille recipes that are excellent

Champagne Sabayon

* 1 cup water
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
    * One 750-ml bottle brut Champagne or sparkling wine
    * 1 dozen large egg yolks
    * 2 cups heavy cream

directions

1. In a saucepan, bring the water, sugar and vanilla bean and seeds to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately high and cook, without stirring, to a light golden caramel, 10 minutes. Add the Champagne and simmer until reduced to 2 cups, 20 minutes.
    2. In a large, heatproof bowl, lightly beat the egg yolks. Very gradually whisk in 1/4 cup of the hot Champagne caramel until blended. Slowly whisk in the remaining caramel. Set the mixture over a saucepan filled with 1 inch of simmering water. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the custard thickens enough to form a ribbon when it falls from the whisk, about 10 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean. Transfer the custard to a bowl and let cool, then refrigerate until chilled.
    3. Whip the cream just until firm. Fold into the Champagne custard and transfer to a serving bowl; serve cold.

MAKE AHEAD The sabayon can be prepared through Step 2 up to 2 days ahead.

• arley_gw
    16 years ago

Have you ever watched the 1963 movie 'Tom Jones'?

There's a brilliant scene where the dashing young Tom Jones (played by a young Albert Finney) is eating a meal in a tavern and is seduced by a somewhat older woman. They end up eating food 'at' each other. The treatment of oysters is memorable.

Simple stuff that involves you is what you want. I don't think fussy food is in order. Artichokes can be steamed the day before and chilled; serve with melted butter or a good vinaigrette (or if you're adventurous, hollandaise). The act of eating artichokes is in and of itself sensuous. (Although serve the salad right afterward to clear the palate; artichokes will ruin the taste of a good wine by making your palate more sensitive to sweetness).

A simple beef dish like a filet would be nice. One thing I haven't ever made but sounds very simple great is 'boeuf a la ficelle'--basically a good piece of tenderloin poached in stock. Steamed vegetables with a little butter or hollandaise, some store bought cannoli and a nice Auslese to go with dessert.

If the link doesn't work, go to youtube.com and do a search for "Tom Jones Lusty Eating Scene".

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

Ok, so while I was writing there appears to be more info added about your date's tastes, so here are some more suggestions.

I am Italian, but I love all kinds of food as long as it's cooked. Since she does not do red meat, perhaps a one-dish chicken dish such as the Rosemary Chicken with Lemon I've attached. It's different and definately dinner party material.

I have prepared it with white and dark meat, but you do need some dark meat to flavor the dish IMO as it was not quite as good when I made it with white meat only.

You can substitute some risotto for the noodles.

It's one dish and can be made ahead. A nice salad and some good crusty bread would make a lovely dinner.

OR....

Try Lidia's Chicken Valdestana; it is delicious and light.

Instead of spaghetti, as others suggested might not be sensual, you can use a more refined tube type pasta instead. It's a very nice dish and can be prepped ahead up to the final cooking steps. I've pasted the recipe below.

OR............

If she considers pork the 'other white meat', Marcella's Milk-braised Pork is fantastic(you can find it on Epicurious) . It may sound weird to some, but the milk reduces to a luscious brown sauce that I strain and into which I add a little cream while whisking and heating.

I have used boneless pork loin and cut it into thick steaks when serving, but I find that bone-in is a little more flavorful and a double-chop makes a nice presentation.

I also cook it for longer than directed, and cut the roast into double chops so that each serving is as fork-tender as the end cut. I've pasted the recipe below.

Hope this helps, Sue
    -------------------
    Chicken Breast Valdostana

Makes 6 servings.

by Lidia Bastianich

Ingredients
    6 medium (about 7-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    6 thin slices imported Italian prosciutto (*see note below)
    All-purpose flour
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
    1/2 cup chicken stock or canned reduced sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup seeded and crushed canned Italian tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    6 ounces Italian Fontina cheese, sliced thin
    2 tablespoons tomato sauce or additional seeded and crushed tomatoes
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F. Trim any excess fat, skin, and cartilage from the chicken pieces.

Place a piece of prosciutto over each chicken breast, trimming and layering each so it covers the chicken breasts as neatly as possible.

Using the back of a large knife, gently pound the prosciutto into the chicken so it adheres. Dredge the chicken breasts in flour to coat them lightly and tap off any excess flour.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and the olive oil in a 12- to 14-inch skillet with an oven proof handle until the butter is foaming.

Place in the skillet as many of the chicken pieces, prosciutto side down, as will fit without touching. Cook just until they begin to brown, about 2 minutes (Overcooking will toughen the prosciutto.

Turn the chicken and cook until the second side is golden brown, about 3 minutes.

Repeat, if necessary with the remaining chicken breasts, removing the browned chicken to make room. Adjust the heat as you work so the chicken doesn't burn or stick in places.

Pour the wine into the skillet and shake gently to dislodge any brown bits that stick to the pan.

Boil until reduced by half. Pour the chicken stock into the skillet and distribute the crushed tomatoes and remaining 2 tablespoons butter in between the pieces of chicken. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

If preparing ahead, stop here until ready to finish...

Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce is simmering, tilting the skillet to mix the sauce. Drape the sliced Fontina over the chicken pieces to cover them completely.

Dot the center of each chicken breast with a small circle of tomato sauce or a small mound of crushed tomatoes and sprinkle with the grated cheese.

Place the pan in the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, the sauce is bubbling, and the cheese is lightly browned around the edges, about 10 minutes.

Very carefully remove the pan to the stovetop and let stand a minute or two before serving.

*Ask for the prosciutto sliced slightly thicker than paper-thin. You will need six slices if each slice is roughly the same size as a chicken breast. Buy more or fewer slices as necessary.

-----------

Marcella's Milk-Braised Pork

In this simple recipe, an adaptation of Italian cooking legend Marcella Hazan's Bolognese-style pork loin braised in milk, the meat acquires a delicate texture and flavor and the milk slowly evolves into a rich sauce of golden curds. Don't be put off by its homely appearance!

Serves 4 to 6.
    Ingredients
    2 1/2-pound piece boneless pork shoulder (do not trim fat)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cups whole milk

Preparation
    Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper.
    In a 4-quart heavy kettle heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown pork on all sides, about 5 minutes total.

Carefully add milk and cook pork, covered, at a bare simmer 2 hours. Continue to cook pork, partially covered, at a bare simmer until very tender, about 1 hour.

Transfer pork to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Season cooking liquid generously with salt and pepper and boil until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

Thinly slice pork and transfer to a platter. Skim fat from cooking liquid and spoon liquid over pork.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Light is romantic to me, not something fatty or heavy.
    Crepes, cannoli, tiramisu, cheesecake, flan.
    Maybe molten lava cakes, if you share.
    Some kind of sexy, velvety soup, maybe cream of asparagus. Or just serve asparagus.
    Squash soup or some kind of squash. Tomato soup or some kind of tomatoes--love apples. But only worth it if they are in season, so if you can't get fresh ones don't bother, tomato soup or sauce is better then.
    When I think romantic, I think special foods that I don't get to eat every day, something maybe a little $$.
    Champagne or some type of sparkling wine.
    Fancy fru fru tarts from the bakery.
    Mannicotti or stuffed shells or ravioli.
    For me, any type of seafood since I don't get it otherwise, ever.
    Scallops, stuffed flounder, salmon, crab cakes, lobster, etc.
    I love that salad with pears, blue cheese and walnuts, with a citrus-olive oil dressing.
    Or pears belle helene for dessert.
    Raspberries, strawberries and pineapple are a real treats for me.
    Ambrosia
    Salad made of fancy, pricy greens like radicchio, endive, frise, etc.

And crostini as an appetizer--a jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and though beside me, singing in the wilderness. Ah wilderness would be paradise enough!

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Joe, remember to cut back on the garlic in anything....
    and remember....seat and lid DOWN!! Good Luck!!!!!

Gingered Shrimp Cakes

1 lb. large shrimp, cooked
    4 scallions, sliced, green parts included
    1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
    Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 C fresh corn, cooked, cut off cob (frozen works fine)
    1 lg egg
    3 Tbsp mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
    1/2 tsp salt
    Pinch of ground black pepper
    1 1/2 C fresh bread crumbs or panko (divided)

2 Tbsp olive oil (or more, for frying)
    1 Tbsp butter (with the oil, for frying)

Coarsely chop shrimp in bowl. Add scallions, ginger, lemon zest, parsley and corn. Combine mayonnaise, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper and fold into shrimp mixture.
    Add 1 Cup breadcrumbs and gently mix.
    Form into 4 patties and gently dredge in remaining 1/2 C breadcrumbs, adding more if necessary.
    Put on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 min and up to 4 hours.

Heat oil and butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Saute cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 8 minutes.

Chile Garlic Sauce

To make Chile-garlic cream sauce, combine 2 Tbsp chile-garlic sauce ( from Asia aisle at supermarket) and juice of 1/2 lime with 1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche.

Spoon about 3 Tbsp of sauce on each plate and place shrimp cake on it, serve immediately.
    Makes four servings.

Variation: Substitute lump crab meat for the shrimp.

HOT GARLICKY SHRIMP WITH ASPARAGUS & LEMON From April/May 2007 Fine Cooking Magazine. 1 lb shrimp (21\-25 per lb) peeled, deveined, rinsed and patted dry 3/4 tsp kosher salt, more as needed Freshly ground black pepper 1 lemon....note... we thought it could have used more lemon 6 Tbs extra\-virgin olive oil 4 medium cloves of garlic, thinly sliced 3/4 lb asparagus, bottoms snapped off, halved lengthwise if thick, and cut into 2\-inch lengths (2 cups) 1/8 to 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes 2/3 C low\-salt chicken broth 1/2 tsp cornstarch ~Sprinkle the shrimp with a scant 1/4 tsp salt and a few generous grinds of black pepper. Using a peeler, gently shave the zest in strips from the lemon, taking care not to get any of the bitter white pith. Squeeze the lemon to get 1 Tbs. juice. ~Put a 12\-inch skillet (not nonstick) over medium\-high heat for 1 1/2 minutes. Add 2 Tbs of the oil and once it is shimmering hot, add the shrimp in a single layer. Cook undisturbed until the shrimp browns nicely, about 2 minutes. Flip the shrimp and brown the second side, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a large plate. The shrimp should be a little undercooked. ~Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining 4 Tbs of oil and the garlic and cook, tossing, until the garlic starts to sizzle steadily, about 30 sec. Add the asparagus, lemon zest and red pepper flakes, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and cook, tossing often, until the garlic is golden brown and the asparagus looks blistery in places, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, cover, with the lid ajar, and cook until the asparagus is just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. ~In a small dish, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 Tbs of water, stir into the asparagus mixture, and bring to a boil. Stir in the shrimp, reduce heat to low, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp is opaque throughout (cut one in half to check), 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the 1 Tbs of lemon juice and the add salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice to taste. Serve immediately. Note.... The recipe says that it serves three.... and if you serve as is (without starch) that would seem about right. The picture of the dish (on the mag cover) shows it with fettucini. This would then easily serve four. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CRAB LOUIE SALAD Serve in a stemmed glass. Lettuce, sliced 1/4\-inch thick Fresh Dungeness crabmeat Cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced finely Tomatoes, seeded, diced finely Green onion including green tops, sliced Thousand Island Dressing (recipe follows) Dust top with paprika Fresh chives for garnish Build the crab Louie in stemmed glasses with lettuce, crabmeat, cucumber, tomato and green onion. Top with Thousand Island dressing, dust with paprika, add chives and serve as a salad course for an elegant dinner party or serve in a large bowl for a luncheon. Thousand Island Dressing 1 cup mayonnaise 1/4 cup Chili Sauce 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped finely 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced, including green tops 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks Salt and pepper, to taste Mix ingredients together, cover and chill for flavors to develop. Serve with a crab Louie salad. Wine Recommendation: Chardonnay; Fume Blanc Nancy
  • maggie2094
    16 years ago

This lasagna is sinful and lush! I think Jojo posted it here and I made it last year. You might be able to find her photo with a search. Ina served it with shrimp bisque and strawberry scones on the show.

Portobello Mushroom Lasagna
    Barefoot Contessa at Home
    Kosher salt
    Good olive oil
    3/4 pound dried lasagna noodles
    4 cups whole milk
    12 tablespoons (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms
    1 cup freshly ground Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt and a splash of oil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.

For the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan. Set aside. Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture all at once. Add 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring first with the wooden spoon and then with a whisk, for 3 to 5 minutes, until thick. Set aside off the heat.

Separate the mushroom stems from the caps and discard the stems. Slice the caps 1/4-inch thick. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large (12-inch) saute pan. When the butter melts, add half the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and they release some of their juices. If they become too dry, add a little more oil. Toss occasionally to make sure the mushrooms cook evenly. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and set all the mushrooms aside.

To assemble the lasagna, spread some of the sauce in the bottom of an 8 by 12 by 2-inch baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, then 1/3 of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Repeat 2 more times, layering noodles, sauce, mushrooms, and Parmesan. Top with a final layer of noodles and sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.

Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned the sauce is bubbly and hot. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes and serve hot.

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Joe, I found the link with the picture of the portobello lasagna if you are interested.

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Some suggestions:

Cream of sorrel soup with frazzled potatoes
    or
    salad of warm pear stuffed with stilton cheese and walnuts
    or ceaser salad served in parmsean crisp cups

Salmon with crab crust and mango dijon sauce (just saw this on another forum and thought it looked wonderful),
    or
    Rolled and stuffed chicken breast, (stuffed with either brie, garlic and sundried tomatoes)or stuffed with (eggplant,feta, mint, parsley, tapenade, prosciutto and roasted red peppers)
    or chicken saltimbocca in parchment

asparagus or green beans
    or orange and yellow sauteed rapini
    steamed broccoli

Lemon rice with almonds

fresh fruit with grand marnier sauce
    or
    fresh berries with cassis sherbert and champagne
    or chocolate crepes with mascarpone and blood orange sauce
    or vanilla creme brulee with raspberries (I used frozen blackberries)

If you want any recipes, let me know.

Shelley

• triciae
    16 years ago

"...chocolate crepes with mascarpone and blood orange sauce"

Yes Yes Yes!!! Blood orange sauce is wonderful.

/tricia

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I just saw this on the Barefoot Contessa today and it looked so good and it's very easy and an out-of-the-ball-park for presentation.

Ile Flottante (Floating Islands)

2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
    1 cup water, divided
    1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
    1 1/2 cups (5 ounces) sliced almonds
    8 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    Creme Anglaise, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    For the caramel, heat 1 1/2 cups of the sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Cook over medium heat until the syrup turns a warm caramel color. Don't stir, just swirl it in the pan. Off the heat, add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla; be careful, the syrup will bubble violently. Stir and cook over high heat until the caramel reaches 230 degrees F (thread stage) on a candy thermometer. Set aside.

For the praline, combine the almonds with 1/4 cup of the caramel and spread them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the almonds are lightly browned. Allow to cool at room temperature and then break up in pieces.

Lower the oven to 250 degrees F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.

For the meringues, beat the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium speed until frothy. Turn the mixer on high speed and add the remaining 1 cup of sugar. Beat until the egg whites are very stiff and glossy. Whisk in the remaining teaspoon of vanilla. With dessert spoons place 12 mounds of meringue on the parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.

For serving, pour creme anglaise on the bottom of individual plates. Place a meringue on top of each serving, drizzle with caramel sauce, sprinkle with praline, and serve.
    To make a day or two ahead, leave the caramel and praline at room temperature
    and refrigerate the creme anglaise. Bake the meringues before guests arrive and assemble the desserts just before serving.

Creme Anglaise:
    4 extra-large egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 3/4 cups scalded milk
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 1/2 teaspoons Cognac
    Seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean, optional
    Beat the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, or until very thick. Reduce to low speed, and add the cornstarch.

With the mixer still on low, slowly pour the hot milk into the eggs. Pour the custard mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened. The custard will coat the spoon like heavy cream. Don't cook it above 180 degrees F or the eggs will scramble!

Pour the sauce through a fine strainer, add the vanilla extract, Cognac, and vanilla seeds, if using, and chill.

Yield: 2 cups

And this was made on Giada and look fabulous for an appetizer!

Pizzettes with Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese, and Prosciutto

3 tablespoons olive oil
    3 large onions, sliced (about 4 cups)
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 ball purchased pizza dough (about 12 to 16 ounces)
    3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
    2 to 3 ounces prosciutto (about 5 large slices), cut into 2 by 2-inch pieces
    Parsley or rosemary sprigs, for garnish
    Special equipment: 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter

In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, and sugar. Stir to combine. Continue cooking over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized and dark golden brown, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
    Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.

Roll out the pizza dough into a 1/4-inch-thick round. Using the cookie cutter, cut out 24 dough circles. Arrange the circles on a large heavy baking sheet. Place a small spoonful of the caramelized onions on each dough circle. Top with a small amount of goat cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 10 minutes.

While still hot, top each pizzette with a piece of prosciutto. Arrange on a serving platter and garnish with sprigs of parsley or rosemary. Serve immediately.

Good luck!

Michelle

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Joe this has been a great thread, even if it is just a fantasy for me. I never get this kind of food, or dinner made for me. Well, except when I go visit Annie!!
    I like Shelly's menu, except might I suggest saffron rice. After I submitted my suggestions I remembered reading somewhere that saffron is a mild aphrodisiac. It certainly is yummy and elegant!
    Michelle, I might use your recipe for the pizza party!

• khandi
    16 years ago

Since she likes seafood and pasta, what about linguine with clam sauce (red or white)?

Maybe with a nice crusty bread and a small salad.

Dessert.... chocolate whip !!!! (in martini glasses) or the Champagne Sabayon that Chase mentioned (that sounds really good).

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Wow, lots of good ideas here, Joe! Aw, what the heck, I'll add a couple more. I could not believe how incredibly easy this fish was to prepare! Please pardon my lack of presentation skills, it truly is a beautiful dish!

Filets de Sole Au Crevettes
    (Fillets of Sole with Shrimp)

1 lb sole filets (I used haddock)
    1T lemon juice
    1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
    1 3oz can whole mushrooms, drained (I didn't use)
    1T dijon mustard
    1 tsp cornstarch
    1 c cream
    1 c cooked tiny shrimp, drained
    2 T fine dry bread crumbs
    1 tsp butter, melted

Brush each filet with lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle one side with parsley, cut fish in half lengthwise. Roll each up loosely, parsley side in, secure with toothpicks. Stand rolls up in 9x9x2 baking dish.

Cover and bake at 425F for 10 minutes. Drain off juices, remove picks. Press a mushroom in each roll. Blend mustard into cornstarch, stir in cream. Cook over medium low heat until bubbly, add the shrimp and heat through.

Pour the sauce over the fish. Mix bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the fish rolls. Bake, uncovered 10-15 minutes. Serves 4

And here is a dessert I plan on making this weekend, mysef. Capuccino Mousse 1 T instant espresso coffee powder 1/4 c water 1 tsp unflavored gelatin 6 egg yolks 1/2 c sugar 2 c heavy cream Bittersweet choclate curls for garnish In small bowl, dissolve the coffee powder in water. Sprinkle gelatin over coffee, let stand for 10 minutes. In a large metal bowl or top of a double boiler, beat egg yolks and sugar with wire whisk until combined. Place over gently boiling water . Cook, stirring rapidly with whisk about 10 minutes, or until egg mixture begins to thicken and coats a metal spoon (160F). Remove from heat. Add coffee/gelatin mixture to warm egg mixture, whisk until combined. Beat egg\-gelatin mixture with an electric mixer on medium speed about 5 minutes or until mixture is cool. Se aside. Thoroughly wash beaters. In a chilled mixing bowl, beat cream with electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold, on third at a time, into egg/gelatin mixture. Divide among 8 chilled dessert glasses. Cover and chill at least 4 hours. To serve, garnish with chocolate curls. Linda
  • User
    16 years ago

If I was making a romantic dinner for Moe and didn't want to cook beef then I think I would do something like this.

Start with either Escagot in little toast (or puff pastry) cups.

or crab and spinach terrine.

Main course would be something like Quail

or maybe Boneless Chicken Breasts stuffed with a mushroom Duxelle.

For dessert, I'd go with something decadent. Something chocolate or if not chocolate then something smooth and creamy. Like a creme brule or maybe even Carol's Lemon Custard Cakes.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Escargot In Mini Toast Cups
    ===========================
    Source: Elegant Entertaining Cookbook - M. Sable

1 loaf of white bread
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1 can escargot (36 to 50 size)
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    2 shallots
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup whipping cream
    2 cloves of garlic
    salt and pepper
    1/4 cup butter
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    . preheat oven to 400°
    Cut crusts off bread and roll out very thin. cut 2 inch rounds and fit
    each round gently into a well buttered 1 1/4 muffin tin.
    Brush tops of rounds with melted butter and bake them for 10 minutes or
    until edges are golden brown. Remove from tins and cool.
    In a medium sauce pan combine wine, chicken stock and shallots, thyme
    and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce liquid to 1/3 cup. Stir in
    cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Reduce liquid to 1/2 cup. Add escargot.
    Remove bayleaf and stir in butter.
    Fill each croustade with 1 or 2 escargot and some of the sauce.
    Sprinkle with minced parsley.

Layered Crab And Spinach Terrine
    ================================
    From the California Culinary Academy

Crab Layer

1/2 pound crab meat, picked over and flaked

1/4 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard

Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 large eggs

Spinach Layer

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

2 teaspoons flour

1/2 cup whipping cream

2/3 cup half and half

1 1/4 pounds cooked spinach
    Drained and squeezed to remove excess moisture

3 eggs

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon sugar

salt to taste

Sauce

Mix together,

1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon finely minced roasted red pepper
    1 clove of minced garlic
    salt and pepper to taste.

Clives for garnish
    . Preheat oven to 375°F. For the crab layer: In a medium bowl combine
    the crab, sour cream, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne.
    Stir in eggs and set mixture aside.

For the Spinach layer: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan until foamy.
    Whish in flour and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring
    constantly.

Whisk in whipping cream and half-and-half. Bring to a boil and then
    reduce heat and simmer slowly 10 minutes. Stir occasionally, scraping
    down the sides and around the bottom as necessary. Mixture will
    thicken as cooks.

Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Let cool. Stir in eggs, one at
    a time then add black pepper, nutmeg, sugar and salt.

To assemble the terrine: Grease an 8 cup loaf pan/terrine pan with
    butter. Spoon half the crab mixture in the bottom and cover with all
    of the spinach mixture. Spoon remaining crab mixture over the spinach.

Set the terrine in a baking pan and pour 1 inch of hot water into the
    baking pan. Bake uncovered until golden brown and puffy. Approximately
    30 to 45 minutes. Cool on a rack and then refrigerate.

To serve, run a knife around the edge and invert on to a serving
    platter. Slice about 1/2 thick slices and place two on each plate.
    Decorate plate with a lettuce leaf and place a dollop of the sauce on
    the lettuce leaf. Garnish with a few chives.

Chicken Breasts With Mushroon Duxelles
    ======================================
    Source: Lucy Waverman

This flavorful and elegant chicken is stuffed with a combination of fresh and dried mushrooms. Because the breasts are stuffed under the skin, the stuffing moistens the chicken meat and keeps it juicy. use either dried porcini or dried Chinese mushrooms; they have the most flavor. The sauce can be made ahead of time and the breasts stuffed a few hours before baking.

6 Dried mushrooms
    1/2 cup boiling chicken broth
    2 tablespoons butter
    4 shallots
    8 ounce fresh mushrooms finely chopped
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon or basil
    3 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    6 single boned chicken breasts, with skin on.

Sauce

1/2 cup chopped onions
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1/2 cup mushroom-soaking liquid
    3 cups chicken stock
    2 tablespoons port or Madeira
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon cold water
    salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    . 1.
    Soak the mushrooms in boiling chicken broth for 20 minutes. Drain the
    mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid and the mushrooms
    separately.Chop the mushrooms.

Preheat the oven to 375°F

Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the
    shallots and dried and fresh mushrooms. Saute until all the liquid has
    evaporated, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Stir in the basil
    or tarragon, bread crumbs, cream and parsley. cook until the cream has
    reduced and the filling is thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the filling in six portions. with your fingertips, make a
    pocket between the skin and the flesh of each chicken breast. Stuff
    the filling under the skin of the chicken breasts. Season the breasts
    with salt and pepper and place in a buttered baking dish large enough
    to hold the breasts in one layer.

Bake for 30 or 40 minutes, basting occasionally, until the juices run
    clear.

To make the sauce, in a frying pan, combine the onions and wine. On
    high heat, bring to a boil and reduce until you have 1 tablespoon of
    liquid.

Pour in the mushroom liquid, reduce to 2 tablespoons and then add the
    chicken stock and continue to boil until the stock is reduced by half.
    Add the port and simmer for another 2 minutes, or until the sauce is
    smooth and strongly flavored.

Combine the cornstarch and cold water and stir into the sauce,
    simmering until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Season
    with salt and pepper and add any juices from the chicken. To serve,
    pour the sauce over the chicken breasts.

Lemon Custard Cakes
    ===================
    Posted by dishesdone (My Page) on Thu, Feb 17, 05 at 14:07

I made these today. They're very light! I could have eaten all six of them!

Lemon Custard Cakes

Unsalted butter, room temperature, for custard cups
    3 large eggs, separated
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest (1 lemon)
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 cup milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Confectioners sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350°. Set a kettle of water to boil. Butter six 6-ounce custard cups and place in a dish towel-lined baking dish or roasting pan.

In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until light; whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in lemon juice, then milk and zest.

With an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Add to lemon batter and fold in gently with a whisk (batter will be quite liquid).

Divide batter among prepared custard cups; place baking dish in oven and fill with boiling water to reach halfway up sides of cups. Bake until puffed and lightly browned (but pudding is still visible in bottom), 20 to 25 minutes. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners sugar. from Everyday Food

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Shelley, the crepes with blood orange sauce sound fabulous. Please post the recipe.

I might use your recipe for the pizza party!

I was thinking the same thing and will post the recipe in the Pizza Thread! But dang they really did look good and so easy.

Michelle

• jojoco
    16 years ago

Her tastes sound like mine. So here is what I would like:
    Assorted Olives (stuffed, garlic...)parmesan bread twists from puff pastry (simple when using premade sheets)
    Portobella lasagne:

-good bread, hot from the oven
    -hearty salad
    -individual tiramisu served in martini glasses.
    -great cabernet
    -a glass of good port after the tiramisu.
    Jo

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Joe, I'm a nervouse wreck...I hope it is a wonderful evening!

Please let us know how it goes...at least the parts you can share ;)

Nancy

• moosemac
    16 years ago

Champagne
    Pear and goat cheese salad
    Pan Seared Sea Scallops & Lobster Tail Medallions
    Steamed fresh asparagus
    Steamed new baby potatoes
    Chocolate dipped strawberries
    Oh yes and did I mention Champagne...:-)

• obxgina
    16 years ago

Joe, champagne, fine chocolates, candle light and nice music is all I would need! Have fun! Gina

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I'm not sure how far you want to push the menu nor your climate, but I saw this recipe on the Food Network and it's now on my TODO list. For an after dinner drink/dessert I would add some chocolate liquer or skip the dusting of hot pepper and add Grand Marnier.

Hot Spiced Mexican Hot Chocolate with Ice Cream Dusted with Chili Powder

Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello

3/4 cup water
    1 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 heaping tablespoon instant espresso
    Pinch salt
    2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, the best quality possible, grated
    2 cups whole milk
    Vanilla ice cream
    Chili powder

Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Split the vanilla bean and add to the boiling water. Add sugar, cinnamon, espresso, and a pinch of salt. Simmer for 1 minute and add the bittersweet chocolate. Whisk until it gets thick. Add milk and simmer 1 minute. Serve immediately with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of chili powder on top.
    You may make this ahead and reheat. Make sure to either whisk it or blend it in a blender to make it light and foamy before serving. (The classic Mexican chocolate was whisked with a special wooden tool called a 'molinillo'.

Michelle

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Here you go Triciae and Michelle

Chocolate Crepes with Mascarpone and Blood Orange Sauce (makes 4 crepes, enough for two people)

Chocolate crepes:

7/8 c unbleached all purpose flour
    2 tbsp cocoa
    1 1/2 tbsp sugar
    1/8 tsp salt
    7/8 c milk combined with 1/4 c water
    3 eggs
    1 egg yolk
    1/4 c clarified butter

Sift flour, cocoa, sugar and salt into med bowl. Stir in the combined milk and water. Beat in the eggs and yolk and then the clarified butter. Beat the batter until smooth. Let rest 1 hour in the fridge.

Mascarpone filling

1 egg yolk
    1 tbsp sugar
    3/4 tbsp grand marnier
    1/2 tsp sweet marsala
    1/4 c mascarpone cheese

Beat the yolk and sugar until pale and thick. Beat in the liquer and wine. Add the mascarpone and beat until smooth. Chill for at least one hour.

Blood Orange Sauce

4 tbsp unsalted butter at room temp
    1/2 c powdered sugar
    1/2 tbsp grated blood orange zest
    1/4 c blood orange juice
    1/4 c grand marnier

In a small bowl, Blend the butter and sugar. Add the zest, orange juice and Grand Marnier. Mix thoroughly and set aside until ready to use. (Navel oranges may be substituted if blood orange is unavailable).

Cooking the crepes

Clarified butter

Heat an 8 inch skillet until med hot. Ladle 1 tsp clarified butter into the pan, swirl and pour out excess butter. Stir the crepep batter. Tilt the pan a little and ladle approximately 1/8 c of batter into the pan, swirl it around to spread an even thin layer over the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 15 seconds. Remove crepe onto waxed paper and keep warm between two plates until ready for use. Repeat to make 4 crepes, layering them as you go.

Serving and Garnishing

1 tbsp dark rum
    1 blood orange peeled, cut into sections and seeded
    6 - 8 fresh or frozen raspberries
    2 mint sprigs
    sifted icing sugar

Spoon 1 tbsp of Mascarpone filling onto the center of each crepe. Fold the crepes in half, then again in quarters. Place two crepes on each of two plates and keep warm. Heat the orange sauce and reduce for about 5 min or until syrupy. Add the rum, orange sections and raspberries to the sauce. Swirl just enough to warm and pour over the center of the crepes. Dust the edges of each crepe with the sifted icing sugar and garnish with fresh mint.

Shelley

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Ann T's at it again with the food porn! All I can say is "What's with the carrot?!" :)
    We know how you cook CF Goddess, every night is a romantic dinner for Moe, lucky dog!
    Oh what a luscious thread!

• changeling
    16 years ago

First off this is just my opinion so don't burn me at the stake!

I date fairly often and one thing that I have found is that women usually don't like to eat big/heavy type food on dates, it is just something I've noticed. This changes after a while if you are dating rather steady.

If this is a sorta first time to maybe 3 times I would try to keep things simple.
    Appetizer- Something light like stuffed mushrooms that enhance the main course to come.
    Main Course- Crab cakes or Crab imperial, I've never met a woman who didn't really like either of the above a lot!
    Vegetables, would be up to you.

Desert - I'm trying to just plain learn to cook, I haven't made it to making deserts yet, you're on your own here but you have some AWESOME suggestions above! Good grief I would probably serve her a Popsicle.

A poster above suggested "Fondue", actually for a get to know someone type dinner I can't think of anything better. It gives both a chance to be at ease and definitely develops a conversation type atmosphere.

Good Luck, Changeling

PS. Just remember to be your self!

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Everything sounds great. If you are close she will not mind eating good food!

Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad with Maple Dressing Recipe
    courtesy Rachael Ray NOTE: (this really is a very good salad).

1 (10-ounce) sack baby spinach
    1/3 pound blue cheese, crumbled
    1 (6 ounce) can walnut halves, toasted
    1/4 cup maple syrup, warmed
    1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper

Place spinach on a large platter. Top with blue cheese and walnuts. Warm maple syrup in a small saucepan. Pour vinegar into a small bowl. Whisk oil into vinegar in a slow stream. Whisk maple syrup into dressing in a slow stream. Pour dressing down over the salad platter and serve. Season with salt and pepper, to your taste.

NOTE: I added pear havles with this and it was wonderful. At Christmas time, I added some fresh cranberries.

Crab Imperial

1 pound of fresh lump crabmeat
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    3 TBS. all purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups half and half
    2 tsps. chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 tsps. dry mustard
    3/4 tsps. salt
    1 TBS. lemon juice
    2 tsps. prepared horseradish
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup soft breadcrumbs
    2 TBS. Butter

Drain crabmeat. Put in a bowl. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until mixture is smooth. Cook 1 min. stirring constantly. Gradually add half and half, cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in parsley and next 5 ingredients; add crabmeat, stirring gently (don't break up the lumps of crab meat). Put in individual shells or casserole dishes that are lightly greased. Then break up fresh white bread into chunks and place on top of the crab mixture and then drizzle melted butter over the top of the bread. Then place in a 350 degree oven and cook for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Sides: Rice Pilaf and steamed baby vegetables.

Dessert: ????

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Tore this one from a magazine while at the Dr.'s office last week.

Wine-poached Pears

8 firm Barlett or Bosc Pears
    1/2 lemon
    1 bottle light fruity white wine (ie: Riesling)
    1 1/4 c. sugar
    1 whole cinnamon stick
    1 c. plus 1 TBL. pomegranate juice
    1 TBL cornstarch

1. Peel pears and trim bottoms so they stand flat. Use a melon baller to remove seeds from the bottom, leaving a cavity in base of pears. Place them in a large bowl with the juice of half a lemon and 1 1/2 c. water.

2. In a large deep pot, combine wine, sugar and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Place pears on their sides in pan. Cover pan; bring liquid back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 12-15 minutes or until knife-tender in the thickest part of pear, turning pears occasionally to cook evenly. Carefully remove pears to plate to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day.

3. Discard half of the remaining poaching liquid (about 1 1/2 cups). Add 1 cup pomegranate juice to remaining liquid and bring to a boil; cook over medium-high heat until slightly thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Watch closely because it burns easily. Blend remaining 1 TBL pomegranate juice and cornstarch until smooth. Reduce heat slightly, stir in cornstarch mixture and cook 1 minute until thickened. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

4. To serve, let pears and sauce come to room temperature. Divide sauce evenly among 8 plates and place pear on each pool of sauce.

Michelle

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Another tear out:

Broiled Scallops with Parmesan Cream Sauce

8 Appetizer Servings

Scallops:

1/2 c. vermouth
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp dried tarragon
    16 sea scallops about 1 3/4 lbs
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Cream Sauce:

1 T. EVOO
    1 small sweet onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
    1/4 c. vermouth
    2 c. half and half
    1/2 tsp tarragon
    1/4 c. grated parmesan

Scallops:

1. Place vermouth, garlic, tarragon and sea scallops in a large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for 2 hrs or up to 6.

Cream Sauce:

2. In a saute pan, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add onion, cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and pepper and cook 1 to 2 minutes; Add vermouth, increase heat to high and cook 3 minutes. Add half and half and cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in tarragon and parmesan; remove from heatand let cool. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.

3. To serve, heat broiler. Reheat sauce over very low heat. Pat scallops dry. Cover broiler pan with nonstick aluminum foil. Place scallops on pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil 4 inches from heat for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Divide sauce amoung 8 plates. Top each with 2 scallops.

Michelle

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I'm voting for moosemac's menu!!

In fact, wanna just come cook for me????? LOL
    My husband won't mind........he'll join us!

Seriously, that all sounds like something that would have really impressed waaayyyy back when I was still in dating mode!

Deanna

• jojoco
    16 years ago

" Good grief I would probably serve her a Popsicle. "

I am so immature...

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

I just received the "Penzeys Spices" catalog....
    there is a great dessert in there that is light and sounds delicious. It's on page 11...
    Chocolate Chip Kisses
    2 egg whites
    1/8 tsp cream of tartar
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    4-5 drops red food coloring
    3/4 cup superfine sugar
    1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
    Preheat oven to 250. Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt together on high speed until peaks form, about 3 mins. Add the vanilla extract and food coloring. Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff. Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by scant tsps onto a greased cookie sheet, about 2" apart. Bake in 250 oven for 25 mins. The kisses will be chewy on the inside ans slightly brown on the bottom, and they will retain their pink color. Baking longer can cause them to brown, so watch carefully or set the timer.

Yield: 3 dozen kisses. Prep. time 10 mins. Baking time 25 mins.

There's also a Quiche recipe on the same page.

Hope this helps.

Linda

• denise8101214
    16 years ago

I've been living vicariously through this thread. Have a wonderful evening.

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Garden (Joe) what did you decide to make for tonight? Please keep us posted.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Yep, c'mon, Joe! Tell us how it went! What did you serve? Did she love it? Did you get lucky?

(OOPS! Did I say that out loud????.....LOL)

Linda

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Joe???? Just wondering....I'm such a romantic.

Nancy

• femmelady
    16 years ago

I have to agree on the fondue posts. Takes a while to do, can do by soft lighting (if you're careful). Start with a luscious cheese fondue and a crisp wine, followed by a meat and veggie orgie, and follow up with sinful strawberries dipped in warm chocolate with kirsch. Then, put in the movie "Chocolat" and you're all set! Don't forget the tawny port with the chocolate course.

• theladyinredfromokla
    16 years ago

Reckon Joe is still recuperating after that dinner date?

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

I feel so used.

:)

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

LOL! I guess it was a really good date!

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Ladies, ladies, have some discretion!
    A gentleman does not kiss and tell!
    ;)

• khandi
    16 years ago

Maybe they got poisoned !!!! lmao

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Well, carp, I was hoping for an update too. Lpink is right, though, gentlemen don't kiss and tell.

Of course, I'm hoping that the date isn't over yet.....

Annie

• Lars
    16 years ago

I just now got around to reading this, and so I was too late for the excitement, but what about the climactic ending? Inquiring minds want to know!! I've definitely had dinner parties where I inadvertently sent the wrong message; i.e., guests read romantic messages where none was intended.

So... what was the menu? You don't have to reveal anything else to me.

Lars

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH